Kelly Creek Bear

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Never baited bear and wondering how long it should generally take for black bear to come to a new bait site in the Upper Kelly Creek country.
If I follow the advise given in other bear threads regarding where to locate a bait site and burn some honey, etc. How many days should I plan to work a new site before moving to a new location. I know I can put out three sites but I have absolutely no idea how long it should take. I would just assume a new site takes a while before it become productive but how long is a reasonable time before you decide it's time to try somewhere else.

I apologize if I've asked a stupid question, I'm so naive when it comes to hunting bear I'm not really sure what to ask or what to expect but I really want to give it a try this year during the last week of May.

Thanks for any insight you might offer.

dc

It just depends. It is early and many bears are not out or if they are out their bellys can not take it yet. If you are in a decent location, one will show up soon enough.
If the snow is mostly gone in your area and you have 3 baits out, I would think in one week you should at least get a hit. two weeks you should have a pattern established at the bait being hit, and hopefully have multiple bears on it.
Good luck.

ive run baits in 39 for about 5 years now. ive learned its a waste of time putting bait out before ~may10 at that altitude and i usually have them patterned and see one around memorial day. So far, ive never had to hunt past memorial day.

Thanks folks, sounds like I'm going to be a little early but the schedule is somewhat set so I'll try to make the most out the hand that's dealt. Sometimes the stars line up. Maybe I'll get lucky. The county up is magnificent up there, one of the great places. I'll have a great time, even if the bear as still a little groggy.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

DC

Kelly Creek is a good area for bears but as mentioned above the snow lasts late into the season and access can be pretty tough until after memorial day. Usually Kelly Creek Road is closed from slides until after the season ends and the only access is from Superior on snow machines.
The St. Joe river area would be a better bet if you don't have the equipment to reach Kelly Creek.
If you pick good areas to set bait at you should get hits within a week with regular hits after 2 weeks.
Good Luck,
CB08

go closer to pierce or headquarters ,kelly creek is under global warming snow right now and the northfork river road is plugged with the stuff

springer1

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the Kelly Creek road will still be closed the week after Memorial Day?

dc

We had a bear come in on us cooking bacon and honey/syrup first day we were doing a burn.It can happen but most likely 1 week your site should be hit don't worry if there is a little snow in your area but like others have said the memorial weekend and the week after is when bears are eating,hungy and traveling.
Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom