Kids hunting

feddoc

Long Time Member
Raised our son to go with us on most of our hunting trips, he is not a hunter now. You never know how they will react or take to it.
He loves game meat but not hunting.
Enjoy it while they are with you.

Raised our son to go with us on most of our hunting trips, he is not a hunter now. You never know how they will react or take to it.
He loves game meat but not hunting.
Enjoy it while they are with you.
My youngest is the same way. He just doesn't want to hunt. We adopted him at 4 with no outdoors experience. WHat a joy it was to teach him things like building a campfire, listening to sounds, how to walk quietly, why scent control is important, etc. He loves to go camping, just no shooting of animals.

Getting my kids into hunting (both the sons and the daughters) was one of the best things I ever done. I always taught them hunting was a metaphor for life. Challenging mentally, emotionally, and physically…just like life. Occasionally fun, but often painful. Have to learn to never give up, and you will be rewarded with success.

Most of my kids have really taken this to heart due to their experiences with hunting. Makes it worth all the costs and effort.

I'm amazed how difficult and expensive it starts to seem to get kids outdoors and hunting especially. Coordinating time off to camp and scout as well as making it enjoyable for minds that are always wanting stimulation. Using Saturdays for small game and upland game hunting. I do think, all of those barriers are what makes it worth it, if you can help your kids see and feel the worth in it. I know for a fact that the memories they make with us on those trips are engrained and are some of their favorite memories. :D:D

I’m trying to figure out the best way to introduce my two boys to it because my oldest is 6 and he was a little upset when we went fishing last summer and I killed a fish to eat. He got over it quick when I explained to him about eating animals and how it works, but I’m trying to be very conscious to how he may or may not react to seeing it done. He knows I hunt and I’ve told him about me killing deer and elk and he seems excited and wants to go with. Both of my sons love to camp and fish, so that will always be something I cherish. I’ve just been so excited to have them as my hunting buddies but don’t want to screw it up haha.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to introduce my two boys to it because my oldest is 6 and he was a little upset when we went fishing last summer and I killed a fish to eat. He got over it quick when I explained to him about eating animals and how it works, but I’m trying to be very conscious to how he may or may not react to seeing it done. He knows I hunt and I’ve told him about me killing deer and elk and he seems excited and wants to go with. Both of my sons love to camp and fish, so that will always be something I cherish. I’ve just been so excited to have them as my hunting buddies but don’t want to screw it up haha.
1) Start by keeping them away from Disney shows/movies and such that humanize animals.

2) Feed them quality tasting, well-prepared game meat regularly, even if you have to get it from someone, and as they are enjoying it, point out what it is and where it came from.

3) Have hunting movie nights with goodies (albeit short movies that are well-done and especially if it depicts kids hunting).

4) Keep getting them out outdoors on fun adventures.

5) Start accumulating points in places where you can either point share or mentor your tag(s) to your kids so they can get out on good hunts with good opportunities as soon as they are legally able to hunt. For example, I’m already saving up points for antlerless hunts I can mentor to my 2 year old grandson and unborn grandkids in Utah as soon as they are 12 y/o.

6) Good luck. Each kid is different. Helps a lot if mom is supportive, though.

Last edited:
1) Start by keeping them away from Disney shows/movies and such that humanize animals.

2) Feed them quality tasting, well-prepared game meat regularly, even if you have to get it from someone, and as they are enjoying it, point out what it is and where it came from.

3) Have hunting movie nights with goodies (albeit short movies that are well-done and especially if it depicts kids hunting).

4) Keep getting them out outdoors on fun adventures.

5) Start accumulating points in places where you can either point share or mentor your tag(s) to your kids so they can get out on good hunts with good opportunities as soon as they are legally able to hunt. For example, I’m already saving up points for antlerless hunts I can mentor to my 2 year old grandson and unborn grandkids in Utah as soon as they are 12 y/o.

6) Good luck. Each kid is different. Helps a lot if mom is supportive, though.
Fantastic advice! Thank you!

I am 16 years old and I am addicted to hunting. I hunt about everything I can and get really into it. Some of my greatest memories are from hunting with my dad and other family members when I was really little. Every year me and my family hunt a general season deer hunt every year and have been for as long as I remember. I do think it has really helped having several cousins and uncles that really enjoy hunting. I think the biggest reason I am really into it is probably because how fun we would make it. Every opening day when got done with the morning hunt. We would go back to camp and eat a big Breakfast then we always shoot 22's! We probably shoot 1,000 rounds between about 10 kids between 7-14. It really makes them feel included. another great experience is if you can find some rabbits to shoot.
The biggest thing is take them with you and make it fun for them.

I started putting my son in for hunting permits as soon as he was old enough to apply and because of that, we've been on some amazing hunts where he had the tag. During those early years my hunts were more about making sure he had fun than me finding a trophy.
He's now 37 years old and it's been 25 years since I've gone on a hunt without him by my side. Now, he's got a son that is tagging along so the cycle continues.
In my opinion, hunting is way more fun if one of your kids is your hunting companion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom