Knee Replacement

High5

I'm having a total knee replacement done on one of my knees on Valentines day, I'm 44 years young and cannot wait no longer.

Has anyone else had this surgery?
Was it sucessful?
Are you limited in your activities?
Does anyone regret it?

I know it's going to be a difficult 6 months or so but I'll get through it.
If anybody has any experience with this, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks, Claude

My uncle hike's a lot when hunting and had this done two years ago. He has been hiking pain free since then and drug out a good sized deer this year and hiked around a lot. Those are generally really successful, they really have it down. You will be sore for a few weeks after..

Claude,

I haven't had it done yet, my day will be coming soon I think. But after watching my Mom have her's done at 83 and what the P.T. told her way before hand as she had a hip done the year before.

DO LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR and do the exercises like they say and stay off the leg/legs and rest but DO THE LEG/KNEE EXERCISES like they instruct you to do. He will most likely want you to get the leg extentions to about 120 degrees or close to this.

A very good friend of mine just had BOTH done at the same time, did not want to be laid up two winters in a row. I tried to talk him out of it but no dice. Well he is not one to just sit around, needs to be doing something and after about 4 weeks, said "heck, I feel great" and went out to his shop and started to work on a project and was on his feet/legs for about 5 hours. You guessed it right, it has set him back about 4-6 weeks and the DOC told him, DON'T YOU LISTEN??"
He is doing better and one has no pain now at all, but still need's to take care and get the other one in shape by following the doc's orders.

You will do fine IF you follow the doctors orders.

Brian

Hey guys, Thanks for your input & support.
I'm not looking forward to the surgery or rehab but I do have confidence this will change my life for the better.
I'll post again in 6 months or so too let ya'll know how well I'm doing.
Thanks again, Claude

Good luck Claude on the surgery and looking forward to hearing from you later this summer. Like I said, when my Mom had it done she was 83 and within 6 weeks I think it was she was back driving her car.
Exercising the joint is the most important think.

Brian

You should be ready to go by this next hunting season. Just think of it as incentive. I had it done a few years ago. The first couple months are tough. I couldn't even start therapy for a month. All I could do was put my leg in a machine that would flex my knee and keep my knee somewhat loose. Then the fun begins. When I started theropy I had lost almost 2" of muscle on that leg. So there was a lot of work on just getting the muscles built back up on the rest of the leg. The best advice I can give you is to listen to the therapist. They know what they are doing.

Stock up on magazines and movies because your going to have some spare time on your hands for a month or so. Good luck with the operation.

Good advice AZ,
Just don't let yourself put on too muchweight while you are sofa bound.
That will be your worst enemy if you let it.
When I was in my twenties, I wrecked my left ankle.
I had extensive surgery requiring 14 screws, two metal plates and a bone graft out of my hip.
My first thought was how it was going to screw up my hunting.
It was tough at first.
You just have to want it bad enough.
Don't try to come back too early and as everyone has said, listen to your PT.
So much of outdoor toughness is mental.
You can do it.
HH