Kudos to the DWR!

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Wanted to give some public Kudos to the Utah DWR - we have been clamoring for better harvest reporting and data on general season hunts. I just received emails to provide hunt and harvest info on the 2 general season deer tags my kids drew this year, using a new website the DWR put together. It was slick, simple and quick. Much better than random phone calls that go to very few real tagholders.

Great job DWR on the push to get more and better data to manage our herds - definitely a step in the right direction!! I am hoping this will also be done for general season elk hunts as well.
1667229330412.png

I received the email also. Good on 'em!
Way better than the random call....which I never pick up in time. They leave a message that they'll call back but I never get that one either.
Hope this portends their intent to better manage wildlife.

PS: I gave my input.
Too bad there's no area to include our thoughts on the hunt but I added it anyway on the harvest drainage line.

Zeke

Last edited:
It was mandatory when I drew a limited entry tag!
So I sent the teeth back in the package they included with the postage and address already on it.
They said I sent it to the wrong place and then penalized me for it big time f@%& the Utah fish and game!

I received the email also. Good on 'em!
Way better than the random call....which I never pick up in time. They leave a message that they'll call back but I never get that one either.
Hope this portends their intent to better manage wildlife.

PS: I gave my input.
Too bad there's no area to include our thoughts on the hunt but I added it anyway on the harvest drainage line.

Zeke
Honestly, Do you think anyone at the DWR cares about your hunt? Me thinks not. ;)

Great questions Bessy. I’ve been preaching this for a decade at least as mandatory or you can’t apply for or collect points for ANY species the following year.

I always get the “think about the old people” cry. It’s very far beyond time for this to be a mandatory step as part of your hunting experience in Utah.

Nebraska has it covered. Mandatory in-person reporting for rifle unless it is last day or so in the season. And phone-in for the rest.

Utah should have 100% Mandatory reporting for all tags. Buck/Bull doe/cow turkey, swan,

Everything with fur or feather.

On-line or phone. Pretty damn easy.

It was mandatory when I drew a limited entry tag!
So I sent the teeth back in the package they included with the postage and address already on it.
They said I sent it to the wrong place and then penalized me for it big time f@%& the Utah fish and game!
Question, did you get online and do your actual survey?

I don't think it is mandatory to send in the teeth, just highly recommended. If you sent the teeth in but did not go into your profile and fill out the actual survey they would still have documented it as a failure to do the survey and penalized you for it.

Also, we did get the email. I was able to fill it out for my kids but not for me. Said I didnt have a tag. I was a dedicated hunter, and my 3rd year.

Question, did you get online and do your actual survey?

I don't think it is mandatory to send in the teeth, just highly recommended. If you sent the teeth in but did not go into your profile and fill out the actual survey they would still have documented it as a failure to do the survey and penalized you for it.
Yes when I drew out it was mandatory to send teeth in no survey just the teeth!

Also, we did get the email. I was able to fill it out for my kids but not for me. Said I didnt have a tag. I was a dedicated hunter, and my 3rd year.
If you don't return your DH tag it is automatically considered filled. Doesn't matter which year.

If you don't return your DH tag it is automatically considered filled. Doesn't matter which year.
I know that, but the season ended Sunday for rifle, and I can still hunt archery extended. I did have a valid tag, but filled my tag this year. So It should show that I have a valid tag, and fill out a survey, right?

I think they consider them filled when they are issued. You need to prove otherwise. At least in their record keeping. I know I had to go to the DWR office this year with my copy of last years license showing it was returned as they had me as not eligible this year.

I was able to fill it out for my kids as well and not myself. It stated I didn't have a tag, but I did have a muzzle loader deer tag this year that went unfilled. Not a dedicated hunter.

Last edited:
Yes when I drew out it was mandatory to send teeth in no survey just the teeth!
Nope it's always been mandatory to go online and do your survey as well as send in the teeth

Here is the note attached to the teeth packet I got for my late muzzloader deer hunt that starts Tomorrow. Read the red lettering at the bottom. I had to do this for the rest of the LE tags I have drawn going back to 2011.
Screenshot_20221101_211513.jpg

Edit to add this as well.
20221101_220827.jpg

Tooth packets are not required to send in, just suggested, the online survey is mandatory.

Last edited:
So I just got it on very good authority, they are testing the system this fall with the general deer tags which is their largest block of hunters, they are hoping to get all the bugs worked out this fall and then fully implement the survey to all hunts next year.

They said the phone calls have been statically accurate, but it's getting harder to get people to answer the phone with all the junk calls everyone gets, and the public has been requesting this for years so they are finally moving to this new system which will hopefully be fully implemented next year.

Nope it's always been mandatory to go online and do your survey as well as send in the teeth

Here is the note attached to the teeth packet I got for my late muzzloader deer hunt that starts Tomorrow. Read the red lettering at the bottom. I had to do this for the rest of the LE tags I have drawn going back to 2011.
View attachment 91956
Edit to add this as well.
View attachment 91959
Tooth packets are not required to send in, just suggested, the online survey is mandatory.
Well if something was required from those bastards on my le hunt I done it!
I just know the reason i was penalized was from the teeth because thats what they told me.

The DWR has always claimed that mandatory harvest/hunt reporting doesn't provide any more information than the phone calls and that claim may be true, BUT, mandatory reporting does get ALL hunters involved with the management of wildlife, not just the ones who show up at the RAC's and WB meetings! AND it makes them pay more detailed attention to their hunting times and places. And who knows, it might even get them to actually read the proclamations. for a change. :)

Nebraska has mandatory "in person" reporting when a deer is harvested.
Not sure we need to go that far but it couldn't hurt.
At the very least, it should be mandatory to report on the hunt after it's over.... and have enough room for a commentary... like how many deer we saw, how many bucks we say, how many with more than 2 points per side etc.
They'd only have to actually read 10% and they'd know much more than they do now.

Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom