La sal la sal archery elk advice

Dwayneb

I know this a little last minute but I've been battling something like the flu for a couple weeks.

I'm retired military from Layton and drew my first limited entry tag ever. I have the archery elk for la sal la sal unit. I'm planning on setting up camp in Taylor flats near deep creek. I also have a buck tag for this unit. I've downloaded maps from OnX assuming reception is bad.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have never gotten a bull worth sending to the taxidermist but im hopeful this hunt will give me the opportunity to finally have that chance.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I plan on getting up to camp on the 18th and staying until the 28th. Then head home and come back for the final 8-10 days....of course this is all depends on if I tag out at some point.

It's been tough. Prior to opening day we had that cold front that got the elk moving.. Opening day saw some bulls that were on the CWMU. Then the hot weather returned. Today it was 82. Saw some cows and spikes down in the flats and some decent bucks. Had one 28" buck close that got spooked by some ATVs that drove down a road about 400 yds away...I was surprised they spooked. Once the weekend was over on Monday alot less people but really warming up and with a full moon it really pushed most of the animals to last light or only moving after dark. I've decided to come back to Layton and save some PTO. I plan to go back for the final 10 days or so. Unless we get some cold weather that changes things.

One thing I saw is on day two at 3am a truck on the roads above our camp spotlighting. They were driving some of the upper roads spotlighting several spots. Also on day two after scouting some good trails coming off the CWMU I sat near that fence line for the evening hunt. Had couple bulls up above and some cows moving about an hour before sunset. It wasn't too long and here comes 2 guys on a UTV driving the fence line inside the CWMU. Needless to say those elk didn't come down. Not sure what their intentions were but....

Overall it was still a fun few days. I believe in a couple weeks things will drastically change as the elk come into pre-rut.

Pre-rut bulls are tough to tag. Unless you have a good water hole/wallow to sit in a tree stand, it's hard to get in on good bulls.
My son killed a real good bull over water about 8 days before his hunt ended. The bulls really didn't start to sound off much until about that time.
If you are trying to call one in, you have a good plan. Best of luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom