Lack of Monsoon Season

Sierra

Very Active Member
Has the lack of the monsoon season negatively impacted elk antler growth this year? What are you guys seeing?

Depends on where you are hunting. Ive been in the 16c area recently and the had rain each day of 3 that i was there. Alot of creeks still running, and pretty green. The early rain we had in the spring is more important than the monsoon rains now. Have put my eyes on some good elk, and expect some bigger bulls to be killed this year. That being said, I am worried that the no rain now means later rain in sept. Muddy conditions, slick roads, shitty glassing, etc.

@NMPaul any rain in your area? How’s antler growth coming along? Thanks!
Its a very dry July. Good start for rain in May and June. Calling for rain next week. I wouldn't worry. Lots of elk, however, in this unit its age class more than anything else in my opinion. Most Bulls just dont get a chance to get old in this unit.

What hunt do you have in 34?

If it's been a dry spring and early summer yes it will hurt them a bit.

Rain early is far more important than now. The plants need a minute to convert that moisture to new growth and the earlier the animals can get that nutrients the healthier and stronger they are when antler growth starts. That first half to 2/3rds of growth takes a tremendous amount of energy.

Last edited:
34/36 lookin alright to me

8AEC85C0-D28F-49D7-8A6B-C25C748EE006.jpeg

74667013-69BF-40D3-A8AF-510EB87C90EF.jpeg

5A5B7393-8012-44CB-BD89-92B9FF3EC61C.jpeg

Monsoon is supposed to be delayed this year, but will be a wetter late summer and fall extending through the winter.

Kind of a "super El Nino".

Antler growth should be better this year than the past few. Winter and spring moisture is what drives antler growth. We had a good spring in our southern mountains and held green grass through mid-July. Some places are burning up the grass now but still good grass in places, I'm expecting better bulls all around

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom