Lake Almanor Report!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Hey guys, Don't know that anybody can get up or over this way but i just returned from a over nighter camped backed up to the lake. I had trouble getting the hook set, lost the big one, and pulled in a couple big squawfish that gave me high hopes until i saw them.

Still, i managed to land 4 real nice rainbow trout, the smallest being about 20" and the biggest going near 5lbs. This was a normal catch for this time of year, pretty much all along the West Shore fishing crawlers, floated.

I also watched two older guys launch a car topper boat near me and had a chance to see their catch several hours later when they called it quits. They each had their 5 fish limits of Brown Trout, 2-5lbs, said they landed 16, caught them all jigging which again, is completely normal for this time of year.

If you can make it up here while there is still nice weather, it really can be the best fishing of the year. Here's a couple rainbows below like those i caught today. Not monsters but nice ones! Joey
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/49220b9f7bdacb81.jpg

Joey, thanks for the info! You even included how and where to catch them! That's very nice!

Beautiful fish!!!!

Eel

'I'll keep my God, my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.

Hear anything about Eagle?? Heard its on but no specifics. Gonna take girlfriend there day after we eat turkey. Her son caught several over 3lbs last year and I'm hopin for the same for her.

Too damn busy chasin those chukar to wet a line yet.

Califelkslayer, I'm just hearing quiet murmers of success on Eagle. a Building Inspector buddy was hitting the lake most everyday all summer before work. I guess he really likes smoked fish, he was doing really well.

Now that i learned how to post pic's, here is one from Eagle Lake that i caught bank fishing some years ago but will never forget. 9 1/4 lbs weighed 4 hours later on a certified scale. This is about as big as they get from there and i was pumped. Sorry about the pic quality, it's amazing i have a pic of this fish actually, so many went undocumented. Back then, i never took a camera. Joey
49243e5352615d49.jpg

Fished Almanor for about 5 hours yesterday morning. Caught 9 trout but nothing that was really big. Had a great time.

Larry, Great to hear! I'll bet you really had a nice day on the lake. Tried to get out, almost made it... Played poker at your bud's Ron R's last night and helping another buddy paint his place today, Soo, Maybe tomorrow... storm comming, could mess it all up. Just love being on the lake on nice days this time of year!

Thanks! Joey

Thanks Mike, i sent you a pm in answer to your question of Ron R. There's a guy that used to flat hunt! He's got a muley buck in his entry way that i just one day got to score. i say it'll book and he says no way :) regardless, it's bigger than anything i have, Toad!!

So for you guys out there that always wanted to catch a wild 3 or 4 pound rainbow or german brown trout, many never have, mark your calender for next year and plan a trip to Almanor for some bank fishing around Thanksgiving. It happens every year!! Trolling works as well! if you're boated up, great. Guys catch them trolling crawlers real slow or trolling faster you can hit them with rapalas, fixed gold works, or needelfish, or trolling even faster with speedy shiners. Use what you think works!!

I do like to go out in boats for a change but have caught more than most right off the banks. Some places are better than others, i could always point you in the right direction as have ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, of where and how their biting. Good luck!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-08 AT 08:41AM (MST)[p]Joey, have you seen many duck hunters on Almanor this year? I used to bring my scull boat over, stay in a motel, and hunt a few days. Usually later in the year, if it's not iced over. Lots of mallards and honkers.

Edit: Yers ago there was a taxidermist out of Westwood. His first name was Dan, but I can't remember his last name. I think he moved to Montana. Did you know him? Heck of a nice guy, and did great work.

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

eel,

My place is on the lake and every weekend I have heard alot of shooting. I don't know how they have done...but it sounds like they have been getting some action. I used to hunt ducks about 50 days per year until about 4 years back. I need to get back into it.

Eel, There's duck hunters but not many travel here just for the ducks. Tons of honkers nest and raise their young here each spring and the ducks really pile in here right before the season but once the shooting starts most of the birds leave. There are always a few birds around and the regular guys do get some shooting, i've been out of it since i lost my golden retriever Samantha.

The fish i catch from shore this time of year are only in about 6-8 feet of water. We have had access problems getting to places where we used to hunt ducks while fishing. The north shore, catfish beach, the island, all could be considered places where a guy could succesfully do both but now you'd need to access by boat i'm thinking. The lake is Down! Launching a bigger boat is also limited as some ramps are closed or out of the water.

A lady friend of mine rents out a house here in town that might interest some of you. She gets $150 a day, 3 day minimum. It's 4 bedrooms, nicely furnished, nice location, she just went through the whole house with everything new, including plumbing.;-) If you could split the costs, could be ideal for a group.

I really didn't know Dan that well. I visited his shop out by the hiway a couple times and i too thought his work was of very good quality. Too bad he moved, not much choices around here now.

Joey

I'll let ya'll know how Eagle is Fri. Been so deep into trying to get revenge on the chukar, haven't even put new line on my poles yet.

I was just up to Lake Almanor this past week visiting friends for two days. Beautiful place! Saw lots of bucks chasing the does around the golf course. I guess I should have brought the poles. Lake looked pretty low.

Eel, that may have been Dan McKenna. He did a buck for me when he was working out of Burney. From there he moved to Montana. Last I knew he was back in Cal in Janesville working out of the old Post Office building on main street. He's an artist with birds.

I took my pontoon out yesterday with my fly pole for some fishing. The weather was great and the fish were biting also. I was using olive nymph's fishing just below the surface. I landed around 15 fish and several others on. You guessed it.........the big one got away.

Thanks for all the reports guys. I myself had a chance to get out a few days ago, beautiful crisp fall day, not a ripple on the water, a good buddy in tow, lots of laughs and a fine time but... not a single bite to be had. :)

Larry, I'm envious. Sounds just like the kind of outing i'd love to go on. hint,hint.lol

Good hook, good knots, fresh line, smooth drag... let that big bastige dare bite my hook!

Joey

Murphy, that's right! Dan McKenna. His birds are amazing. Glad to hear he's doing well. Thanks!

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

Fished 4 hours yesterday morning on my float tube and with my fly rod. The temp. never got above 31 degrees and the guides on my rod kept iceing up. Other than that it was a great morning, I was using floating line and using a nymph just below the surface. The color of the pattern that was working was a olive green bugger that the rainbow couldn't resist. I landed 18 fish and the largest was in the 2 1/2 pound range. I didn't want to give it up at noon....but the sissy boy was getting cold.

All right Larry, good show! "Sissy boy" whatryou, a hardass? lol

It's like 17 degrees here now. We got about 3" of snow so far tonight from this mongo storm supposed to come in. Too cold to snow too much,... i hope! Like to see all the snow go to the Lone Pine area. :)

We'll get plenty soon enough. Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]Thought i'd share some pic's of almanor area fish i've caught. Nothing real current here, no digital camera and sccanner is busted, but you'll get the idea of what can be caught on a good day.
4962a82161c8e4b2.jpg

Tried to upload multiple pic's, must figure it out.

some nice smallies caught 200yds from my house with my own tied streamers. I must have landed 10-12 fish that afternoon.
4962acc67d86014a.jpg

This big brown caught couple years ago was the best of a fantastic evening fishing at little brother, Butt lake, just below Almanor.
4962ad8c04aa1192.jpg

Caught this guy jigging on the causway just out of town.
4962ae2308cb1bf6.jpg

...and finally a pic from years ago. Another nice mess from the river only way above town in rougher country. All brown except 1 smaller beautiful native rainbow.
4962af110db6b2d2.jpg

Looking back, i kept too many fish. Most of the fish i catch these days are released. I do like to eat fresh caught fish though and can't hardly get invited to a party unless i agree to bring along some of my trout dip. Have fun all!

Joey

Wow. Do they still catch fish like that out of the feather river? I've heard stories about the five pounders coming out of there, but now I see proof. Very impressive. Dean

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]Dean, abolutly yes!!

I've had three fish on that i saw for a long time knowing that i'd probably not be able to land, that i figured were over 10 lbs. I didn't land any of them. Those ones shown were two of many limits i've had where i threw 2,3,and even 4 pounders back to try for the big 5 fish over 5lb limit. The best time to do it is a week or two after the opener when the snow melt just starts to clear and the river drop. Also, anytime in November can be good as well, especially for the big guys but usually not in the same numbers.

I don't know what the new law against the F&G planting is going to do to the quality but i don't figure it will help. These fish shown are up outa the lake but they used to plant browns every few years up high and i think that really helped feed the big holdover fish that are always in the river if nothing else.

The no planting thing only really hurts the vacationers throughout and the kids who just fish down here in town. F&G used to plant the river with nice rainbows and the kids would flock to the river for a week or so for some good clean fun. Pisses me off that some snob mocha sippers in pala alto will now effictivly had their hand in providing no incentive for these kids catching fish and having fun doing it, just to protect some unheard of frog. Sorry for the rant.

Joey

Hi Manny, I think so. my tastes aren't as they could be but anytime i decide to cook one, i don't ever regret it. I'll take a cleaned and scaled 3 to 6 pounder put a light coat of butter and seasonings on it. Usually i'll put things inside like a mixture of onion, garlic, bits of apple, and salad shrimp. I might put extra filling next to the fish and throw in a few strips of bacon around him and roll it all up in foil. Throw it in the oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes depending, it's pretty fair chow on the table. Some i know like to enhance even further by dipping the meat chunks in hot drawn butter... awful rich, but dang good!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom