Land lock question??

time2hunt

The unit we drew is checker boarded private with access roads across these properties. Can a person drive thru these as long as he doesn’t exit his vehicle ? I know land owners no longer need to post private just not sure on driving part.

For the most part, I would say no. It’s largely dependent on if there is a government agency easement assigned to that road.Very few landowners grant pass through if they aren’t forced to.

I would reach out to the landowner and ask permission to drive through their property and tell them that you only are interested in hunting the public ground. I’ve been successful with that in the past.

There’s lots of roads posted “public road, private property “

But there’s also lots not like that. Won’t know till you get there

Hey guys I appreciate all the info. Hoping to make a flying trip back mid sept to pre scout and learn roads and drop off point.

Easement dependent. No guarantee until you drive it, but if you get the most current Blm map, it should be best source.

If it is public road you can drive through as long as you don’t trespass outside of the right-of-way when adjacent to the private. Look on the local county road map. Possibly talk to the county road foreman and ask which roads have public access. They usually have a good idea what roads are public and what ones are private. Asking IDFG can also provide information.

I'd go with soup's advice. Maps and signs will lie. Lot's of people mark public roads to make them seem private. If in doubt the county highway dept is going to be your best bet. Most private roads will have a gate, so that's also a good indicator. Landowners still have to post private unless it meets one of the exceptions.

Worrying about private land is a joke.
Shooting someone's pasture ornament is the punch line.
Remember the good ole days when hunters hunted the wild?

The worst ones are the public roads going thru private with the disingenuous “No Hunting No Trespassing“ signs pointed towards your vehicle as you enter/drive through the property which has you wondering if the road is actually public.

Much clearer when those same signs are on the sides of the road at the easement property lines on your right and left or perpendicular to the road at the as you drive on thru…

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom