Landowner Gratuities

BRUSHBEATER

I'm coming out from WA to hunt Montana Deer again this year. The landowner is a great guy & I'd like to do something to show how much I appreciate his hospitality. Last year I gave him some Cougar Gold (cheese). I was planning to ask if we could help w/ any projects but I think he is too proud to suggest any. Just thought I'd put this out for any other ideas. He is a Cattle Rancher. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-05 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]Depends on what part of the state the rancher lives and how often he gets fresh veggies, fruit etc. Maybe he might live some good Wine, just need to ask him his likes and dislikes and go from there.
One year we took fresh fruit, veggies, wine and gave to the owner of a Motel where we stayed. I was never charged on the CC for us and the next year we drew tags again went back there and she made a point to tell everyone WE got her pregnant, blamed it on the wine she and her husband drank one night. LOL
We always take good wine, apples and fresh fruit.

Brian

We used to take items like fruit, nuts, that are very reasonable in price in CA., but somewhat expensive in the Rocky Mnt. states due to trucking fees. Several good bottles of a good wine, and a big tin of assorted nuts or dried fruit will go over great with most ranchers and their wives. Another thing, my hunting partner is a retired mechanic, and has fixed a few autos or farm equitment while on our trips. That really makes the rancher remember you next time.\

RELH

I always take Salmon from the August Ocean season, vacuum seal it and then take it on dry ice. It is kind of the same thing as above. I can't give enough salmon away and it is something that is rare in Montana and Wyoming. They seem to appreciate the gesture. It makes it more of a two way street instead of you just expecting to hunt. Any gesture is a good thing and goes along way with the landowners.

Rich

We always brought fresh seafood too. Salmon, halibut, crab. But cash works too. I've got a batch of smoked salmon they should like this year.

If they are close to a town, I usually buy them a Gift Certificate to a nice restaraunt.
I don't think it's as much WHAT you get them, it's more that you made the effort to get them SOMETHING. That old saying "It's the thought that counts" probably holds true here.

Lien2

Anything that is 'homegrown' from your neck of the woods and not his (salmon, etc) is a good idea. I agree with Lien2 that it's the gesture itself that is important - no matter what it is.

On the work side of things, might ask him if he's got any fences/gates that need work. Seems like there's always fixing to be done there.

Most ranchers I know over here in Eastern Montana consider wine to be less then desireable. They prefer something with a little more bite to it.

Fresh Seafood would most likely be very appreciated. The most memorable group of hunters who used to hunt my grand parents place when I was a kid were from Washington. They brought apples and tons of fresh seafood. They would cook it up for us and we would have a big family get together. They got the run of the place. I remember asking my Grandpa when those guys were coming back.

On my inlaws place there are three guys from Minnesota that come out every year and help them stack hay. My brother in law needs three truck drivers to do the job quickly and that is what they do. Instead of having to hire more help for 5 days these guys provide him with some labor. They get to stay in the ranch house and are treated like family when they come back to hunt.

Keep the ranchers wife in mind also and bring something for her. Most of them will appreciate anything you bring for them.

At least you guys are thinking of the land owner and making a gesture of appreciating the access. I can't tell you how many do not do that.

Nemont

Just ask what he has planned for the week and jump in and help.
This is the best thing: Good chore gloves(yellow) go along ways, Most farmer/ranchers never have enough of them, and they rememeber ya all year long.

The first year I hunted Wyoming for deer, I took the time to learn the various ranchers names, sent then a request to hunt letter with stamped/self-addressed reply. Eight out of eight sent them back with permission. I took over 8 boxes of Idaho potatoes. Do it every year now for them, and have access to about 500,000 acres to hunt! It really is not about the amount, but the thought. :)

Last year we were packin up to leave the ranch (dad's place) and it was snowing like crazy. My dad does'nt live on the place year round, so it has always seemed like the ranch hands really own the place. They bust a** year round thru all kinds of nasty weather keeping the place going. Well, my buddy was having all kinds of battery problems with his truck. Not hard to imagine why when you look at the maze of insane wiring. Anyway, the ranch hand shows up around 6:30 am and we are standing around with cables and chargers and whatnot. Did I mention the raging snowstorm? Anyway, they had their flashlights out and doing everything one-handed when I pulled out my little headlamp. That little gem really helped shed some light on the situation. The ranch-hand looked at that thing like it came from heaven. Don't think he had ever seen one. It dawned on me that this guy could probably use this thing everyday. He had us on our way in no time and as we pulled out, I rolled the window down and tossed him my headlamp. He didn't need to say a thing, because his eyes said it all! Thats stuff goes a long way.

When I was working for WY G&F in Casper, the nonresident hunters who made the biggest impressions on the landowners were those who didn't just bring treats (which is appreciated, too); but those who took a day or afternoon and prepared and served a no-holds-barred feast. They are remembered - and don't just feed the rancher, but feed their hands and their families too. One group of Texans puts on a big Tex-Mex or cajun feed every year, sets up table and feeds about 16 people in the calving barn - sit them down, serve them drinks, and pamper them right through dessert and cigars. They've hunted that ranch every year for 10+. Another pair from Kansas puts on a pig roast, buys all the beer, and throws a heck of a feed for a little WY community of a 1/2 dozen ranching families; they've been on those ranches a long time ... Yet another group from WA puts on a dungeness crab feed every year - and they've been hunting the same WY ranch, without paying a penny for access, since 1984. These hunters get to come back, even when others with deep pockets and fat checkbooks get told "not this year".

A special gift for the wife and kids goes a long way, especially if you've taken the time to learn what they like. Ranch hands can resent being forgotten - and will speak well all year long of the hunters who didn't. A bottle of Crown can buy a lot of warm thoughts sometimes ..

Don't condescend, or treat them as yokels - odds are they aren't, and if they are - still don't like to be looked down on. Don't act like you're doing them a favor by coming to their place to kill game - odds are, you really AREN'T providing much of a significant service, and there are plenty of others who can do the killing just as well as you! Particularly, when you're more interested in antlers than meat.

A thank you card sent after the hunt is a surprisingly rare commodity. I sent an archery antelope hunter to a hay farmer once, who didn't kill an antelope - but did send a well-written thank-you (I advise against just signing a Hallmark thank you card and dropping it in the mail!). That hay farmer commented to me later that thank-you was the first one he'd received after a hunter'd left in over 10 years - it made one heck of a favorable impression. That guy was welcome back.

Some of these folks pay a fee to hunt as well - some don't. If you like the ranch and want to come back, you can't go too over-the-top. When game's in short supply, and the rancher feels like they need to cut back on hunters - paying or otherwise - the ones described above are among the few who get permission. I've seen it more than once where they are the only ones who get to still hunt, after a rancher either switches over to outfitting, or leases to an outfitter himself.

These days, there are more hunters looking to hunt, than there are big nuisance bucks needing shot. Those of you who think this is BS, can hunt public land - when you can draw - or put in a lot of effort every year looking for a place to hunt, and hearing "no" a lot.

Bottom line - ranchers know they are doing YOU a favor - even if you've paid to hunt. They like and appreciate individuals who take the time to get to know them, show an interest in their life and their ranch, and clearly demonstrate their appreciation of getting to hunt. By contrast, a lot of arrogant, disrespectful a-holes are NOT welcome back - even for fat fees.

Very well put Ansonlynn! I know one landowner who has some hunters from North Carolina every year. Well, those guys bring some tasty moonshine with them. Everyone looks forward to them coming out. hehe
Hell, I haven't even met them, and I like 'em fine. ( their juice too)

Help him next spring during the Branding season, Ranchers always need help branding and welcome the help !

I've had pretty good times back in Eastern MT. just sittin' and BSin' with an ol' rancher or landowner. Most probably don't get a whole lot of "visitors".....guys just want to hunt, that's it. Even if the owner tells you no, sit and chat for a little bit before you leave. I think if you show some interest in them, their land, their history, they'll remember you next time. Show nothing but 100% respect!

Also....you wouldn't think it, but, there are quite a few landowners out there that are female. Could be widowed, or daughter of an ol' rancher taken over the place....whatever. It's a good idea maybe to pack some different CANNED jams or fruits.....something a little more appealing to her. I also think it's not how much you give em', so to see a coupla' roughneck hunters pull out some homemaid jam(maybe from the wife before you leave) and give it to her could go along ways in gettin' permission for the next time. Some thoughts.

Lot's of great idea's and suggestions, many that I have also done. Last year after a four year absences hunting a ranch in eastern WY I brought along some local sports jerseys for the ranchers teenagers from the state I live in. The expressions on their faces was all the thanks I needed. Plus it makes a statement in the local community when someone asks, where did you get that?

Another suggestion for the rancher or guides wife is to keep your ears open for hints that she leaves for her husband. Most of us can relate to that with our own sweetie.Little projects that never seem to get completed. One year I overheard the outfitters wife say to her husband that she would really like a new kitchen faucet set install in the lodge. I measured everything up before I left and the next year when I returned after they retired for the evening I installed a new one. Each year when I return she still thanks me for that simple gift!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom