lasik

I'm sure its been discussed here before but I'm set up to get lasik next week just wondering about other peoples expierences good bad or otherwise

My wife had it around 5 years ago. She had really bad sight but now is 20/20. She says it's the best thing she ever did....except marry me.

I had mine done almost 3 years ago and now have 20/15 vision. I had 20/400 before so this is considerably better. My first trip out in the woods I was spotting deer no one else could see.

I spent 17 years wearing glasses or contacts so this was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I had mine done over 2 years ago. I have 20/20 vision for distance and that is what I was looking for. When you are my age you might have to were reading glasses as I do. Its so great to hunt without glasses. Good luck you will love it.

Had mine done 4-5 years ago and was worth every red cent. Except when it came to shooting my bow. I now see double of whatever I'm not focused on. Meaning, if I focus on the target, I see double pins, and vise versa. I have to shoot with one eye shut. But all round, its beats the tar outa wearing glasses that fog up, slip off, and get rain drops on them.

I had mine done 7-8 years ago. I had 20/800 vision in both eyes before the surgery. I had a slight astigmatism and when dialated, my pupils were on the larger side. This was some concern because the amount that they were zapping with the size of my pupils could have caused the treated area to be too centralized. I live in Washington and actually went to Canada to have the surgery because follow up could be done in my home state, it was close to home, the surgeon was very well regarded, the whole process was reasonably priced, and they had approved a lazer that was not yet approved for use in the U.S. that better dealt with the astigmatism and large pupil issue. I was EXTREMELY careful in following their post-op instructions as far as using the drops they gave me when they gave them to me and all other instructions. I now have 20-20 vision in each eye and with both eyes I see 20/15. Best $1,000 I have ever spent in my opinion.

There are a lot of good experiences with Lasik but you must consider everything. I am an eye doctor and I have seen many people who have had it done and about 5 years later, most are wearing glasses again. Is that what you want to spend that kind of money for? Also, there are some people who end up worse than they started (not common) but it can happen; this is surgery we are talking about. You will have major dry eyes for quite a while afterwards. Also, if you have a fair amount of astigmatism, it WILL come back. It always does. Just a few things to consider. I don't want to rain on your parade; just consider all possibilities. It could be a good option, but maybe not.

Fuzzy

fuzzyvelvet, do all people loose thier eyesight in 5 years or does it vary with each person. Does the surgery last for 20 years for some people? Also, can you have the surgery more than once? Multiple surgeries? I'm very interested in Lasik myself. Thanks, fatrooster.

I doubt all people loose it; it depends on the Rx. It is very dependent on the person and their Rx. In my experience, the more astigmatism you have, the more likely you are going to be wearing glasses again in around 5 years. They just have not found a way to permanently get rid of the astigmatism. You can have up to 3 "touch-ups" but no more after that. Some places will cover those with your original fee; others charge for each touch-up. The other thing to remember is that once you start needing reading glasses (early 40's) you will have to wear reading glasses. A lot of people don't understand that. Lasik will correct one distance.

No disrespect Doc, but me, my wife, and about 8 coworkers of mine have all had this done by the same doctor here in boise all with excellent results. i never experienced dry eyes after the first 3 weeks either. everyone here that i know its the best money ever spent. some have had it going on 10 years and still cant believe it every morning when they wake up they can see the alarm clock.
true, it is surgery and there is no guarantee you will get perfect vision. also i do have a astigmatism in my left eye and wasnt perfect after surgery but still see 20/20 in the left and 20/10 right.
also a good doctor after a pre screen work up should be able to tell you what results to reasonable expect, risks and patient history.

tb

No disrespect taken orion23. I just see a lot of people who have unrealistic expectations. As you stated, you see worse with the eye that had astigmatism. I see that all the time and if someone has a large amount of astigmatism thier vision may not be 20/20 and it very well could get worse and worse over the years; and if it is in both eyes someone could have a rude awakening after surgery because alot of docs just want to get paid and don't explain all the pros and cons. I don't mean to paint a gloomy picture because for the most part Lasik is good, you just need to have realistic expectations and know what you are getting into. I do know many people who are very happy with it.

Absolutely, there are good and bad doctors out there. not just talking skills in the O.R either. to me most bad doctors are about care decisions and who and when to go to surgery. i see it too in the field im in, unneccessary surgery way too often.

i apologize if my post sounded rough. id didnt mean it to be if it did. really depends on how you read these things sometimes, but when i read yours the first time i thought it painted a gloomy picture. thanks for clarifying.

tb

I have to say my .02 about this topic because I just went through the procedure on Jan. 31st this year. I'll try to keep this short but if you have questions I'm more than happy to share my experience.

I had it done here in Utah at the Moran eye center.
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/MoranEyeCenter/

I had a laser procedure performed on my called PRK PHOTOREFRACTIVE KERATECTOMY.
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/MoranEyeCenter/patient_care/mvc/lasik_more/laser_procedures.htm
After visiting with 2 of their top doctors, they both recommended that I have this procedure done even though I qualified for LASIK.
My conditions were that I have a slight astigmatism and my pupils are larger than normal like mentioned above. 8mm. 5-6mm is normal. They doctors also said that their PRK patients are having better long term results. PRK has also been around a little longer than LASIK.

I have to say that even though the actual procedure was fast and not that unbearable (the freezing water wash after the laser was the worse part. Brain freeze), I did have my moments of doubt during the recovery part. PRK has a longer recover than LASIK. But now I'm just over 2 months from my surgery and I'm seeing great. PRK takes about 3 months for your vision to completely stabilize. It seems like a long time when your recovering but 3 months is a small price to pay for the rest of your life of great vision.

Sure I may need reading glasses when I'm older. (I'm in my early 30's) But who cares!!!!! When you're reading, you're most always in a controlled environment and holding still. Not flying up a steep hill on a snowmobile, dirtbiking, skiing in snow or water, swimming, or hiking your butt off for the elusive muley or bull.

I really feel that people who haven't worn glasses or contacts (22 years for me) most of their life can't relate or give an accurate opinion/advice. I always hear them say you'll need reading glasses anyway later on. But its a mute factor for those of us that need them the moment the alarm clock chims.

Good luck with your decision. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I think there is truth to what Fuzzy says. A good friend of mine had the surgery about 5 years ago. He was a happy camper for the first 4 years. In the last year his vision has progressively gotten worse. He has not started wearing glasses yet, I think because he hates the idea of admitting he has to. However he mentioned the other day that he was going to have to concede that he now needs glasses just like before the surgery.

Well I had the surgery friday morning it was painless and only took a few minutes. So far I am loving it had 20/20 vision Saturday morning. Yesterday I went to the mountains where I spend most of my time and it was like seeing them for the first time.

I was told if your eyes have not changed over an extended period of time then having lasik could work for you. I am 52 and wore glasses for 35 years. I now have 20/15 and 20/20.

i use reading glasses but I have been using bifocals for about five years also. I can read outside where there is more light on the subject than indoors.

I thought about getting the procedure done back in 2002 when I was a competitive trap shooter. We had a few folks in the club that had LASIK done and each one had to switch to one eyed shooting. Most people that I know that had it done still have to wear reading glasses or get the mono vision procedure one close one far. No thanks. Unless my vision was so bad I could not see at all without corrective lenses, I will not do it.

I did a thing called Ortho Keratology http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/orthok.htm
I was very happy with the results of this. I wore the gas perm contacts at night for 4 years and during the day after removing them, I had 20/15 vision. I did have a slight halo on lights at night but no that bad. I have worn corrective lenses since 1982 and I am currently able to pass the vision test (with both eyes) to be able to drive without them. I have glasses but only wear them driving, it makes long distance vision clearer. Just another option.

I had it done and think that it is great. I will agree with the Dr. that it is not or may not be an end all. I had it done about 8yrs ago, I tested 20/15 after the Lasix, my eyes were a little dry but not much worse then wearing contacts. I have not been to the eye Dr. sense(which if I would have read the contract better I had to go every year in order to get the free touch ups) I would with out question say my vision has slid a little, not to the point of needing glasses but just not as good as after the surgery. Would I suggest having it done or do it again, YES in a heart beat!!

I had this done about eight years ago and I saw 20/20 for two years and then regressed to 20/40 so I wear glasses now. I still think it was great for me because I was severly near sighted - 12:00 diaopter and now I am -1:00. On a sunny day I can drive a car without glasses. I can't have it done again because I don't have enough cornea remaining to burn any more off or I would.

Low light vision isn't the greatest because the treated area of the cornea wasn't large enough. Think they treat a larger area now. You are looking through a different size lens as your pupils constrict and dialate. But I didn't have good low light vision before either. I see the best in bright light.

I still see star bursts at night with car headlights but they aren't as bad as they were before lasik.

I don't think my eyes are any dryer than any other 56 year old. Most of my friends my age have stopped wearing contacts due to dry eyes.

It was a great thing for me and if you are severly near-sighted there is a lot of up side even if your vision doesn't turn out 20/20

>There are a lot of good
>experiences with Lasik but you
>must consider everything. I
>am an eye doctor and
>I have seen many people
>who have had it done
>and about 5 years later,
>most are wearing glasses again.
> Is that what you
>want to spend that kind
>of money for? Also,
>there are some people who
>end up worse than they
>started (not common) but it
>can happen; this is surgery
>we are talking about.
>You will have major dry
>eyes for quite a while
>afterwards. Also, if you
>have a fair amount of
>astigmatism, it WILL come back.
> It always does.
>Just a few things to
>consider. I don't want
>to rain on your parade;
>just consider all possibilities.
>It could be a good
>option, but maybe not.
>
>Fuzzy

I had it done about 5-6 years ago....and I have an appointment next week to get some extended wear contacts because the lasik wore off and I can't afford to do it again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom