Lasson antelope

K

knthartter

Hi guys, new to this site and it looks great lots of good info. I was woundering if any one had any info on antelope in the Lasson unit my wife pulled a tag for the second rifle season? Any help would be appreciated. I have done alot of research but he more info the better.

Kevin

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-09 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]my son hunted it last year as Jr... tougher than I thought it would be....
I would stay on east side of 395 and hunt all day and glass glass glass! keep moving if you don't see any thing..by the 2ND half it may be harder but don't give up...there water in cattle ponds...quads work the best because you can cover more ground I look for horn to shine in the sun! going to be hot take water!
here my son link..

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID40/163.html

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Thanks rackmaster, that has been the general consensus i have got from everyone that I have talked to. We will be hunting hard for 5 days or as long as it takes to fill the tag.

Thanks Kevin

I saw a buck antelope up by Dodge Res. last year while scouting for my deer hunt. He was one of the most unique bucks that I saw, his horns went almost straight out and had to be @ 24" wide. There were also a couple of herds near the Nevada line on the east side of the Cottonwood Mountains, they were miles off in the distance so I can't say what kind of bucks might have in there just plenty of antelope.

Jerad

knt, if you want to send me your email address in a PM, we can probably help each other. My son has a 1st period tag, and I've been up scouting a little bit, but will be spending 3 or 4 days up there prior to the opener. I know some good spots to hunt, and will help you out once my son has tagged out. Perhaps we can share some intel with each other before my son's season opens.

What kind of buck is your wife going to be looking for? My son has this tag, and a Nevada 041,042 tag, so we're going to do both hunts consecutively, with the Lassen hunt first, then head over to Nevada as soon as he tags out. He's looking for something above 80", so we know we have our work cut out for us, but I've seen bigger bucks than that out in that unit.

Avoid the popular dirt road areas as that is where most will be. Areas like Smokecreek, Shinn ranch and Karlo rd spots. Yes these areas have goats but you will fight a few people as well.The best bucks will be off the rds in the hidden basins with good water.It never fails the biggest bucks start showing up after the hunts are over. Thats because they are in their hidey holes during the season. Try these out of the way spots and bring your optics and leather boots. Spencer basin all the way in by the creek, even up on the mt a little. Thousand springs basin right against the old bombing fence.Rush creek mts northwst of Cherry mt. My favorite, Snowstorm creek way out in the flats between Shaffer mt and Snowstorm. One more area that is hard to hunt but good bucks survive in is the juniper trees and hidden tanks all over the Cottenwood mts. Good luck and watch out for rattlers. BH1

The first season hunters might get first crack at the bucks, but second season hunters catch a lot more rut activity. You will see the bucks that come out of hiding to chase does. That's a great tag! Good luck!

Kevin,

I emailed you a bunch of information, but have never gotten any response, so I don't even know if you got it. I'm heading up tomorrow for 3 days of scouting, so hopefully I'll have some of the better bucks located by the time I get back. I've got a couple local guys helping me out, and they tell me they've found some nice bucks, going to check them out to see if their idea of nice matches my idea of nice.

I just returned from a VERY LONG weekend of scouting. I was out from first light to last both days, and put hundreds of miles on my pickup checking out different spots. I saw a decent number of nice bucks, but still haven't found one that would make me say WOW!!! We're heading back up there on Wednesday evening, to scout 2 days prior to the opener so hopefully we'll find what we're looking for prior to Saturday morning.

I do have some advice for knthartter, bring a good spare tire and some fix a flat. I drove through some of the rockiest country I've ever seen in the Lassen unit yesterday, and that's a pretty rocky unit anyway. Weather was beautiful, highs in the low 80s, though it is supposed to get hotter.

Here are a few bucks I was able to get scouting photos of:

4a898a2b11c20f9b.jpg

4a898a64150ed71f.jpg

4a898a88168a57e0.jpg

4a898aad175567bb.jpg

CAelknuts- good pics. How close did you get from the buck 3rd 4th pic. The lassen archery hunt has a pretty good success rate. Maybe next yr will draw w/ max pts

Those pictures were taken with the buck about 125 yards away. He's a nice buck, but lacks prong length and doesn't have a whole lot on top above his prongs. His mass is good though, but we're hoping to find something bigger than this one. He's in an easy spot to kill him, kind of a sleeper spot, so it's unlikely that he'll get disturbed by other hunters.

Change of plans. Instead of heading up there on Thursday, we're leaving tomorrow and hope to begin scouting in the afternoon. That'll give us 2 1/2 days to find a better buck than anything I've found so far. Son got a job offer today from one of the San Diego Long Range Fleet boats for a full time job, and they wanted him to start this weekend. He told them he couldn't start that soon, as he has an antelope tag that he won't ever draw again. They told him to hurry up and get finished and get his butt down there, so we're hoping that a little extra scouting might pay off in getting a buck in time to get him to San Diego so that he doesn't lose out on this job opportunity.

elknuts, good luck. Wonder who the locals are, and if I know them??

Kevin, Buckhunter gave you excellent advice. He knows the area. The second season is unique in that scouting prior to the first season is useless. But if you can get there a few days early it'll help out immensely. Plus you'll see on Friday where everyone else is headed on the opener. You can find a good buck, check on him Fri evening and realize you have lots of competition. In that case you can go to your backup. Good luck

Thanks to everyone for all your help, especially caelknuts (Dan) and Don Martin they have been extremely helpfull. It shows that they are true sportsman willing to help out someone fairly new to hunting and hunting an area for the first time.
I have been on several differant hunting chat sites and with out a doubt this is the best and that is because of the people, their knowledge, and willingness to help someone out. so many of the other sites are overrun with people that have extremely over inflated EGOS, and look down to the new guys. The future of hunting is the hunters of today, without them taking an active roll in teaching/helping new hunters the hunting heritage will disappear. Again thanks

Dan hope your son gets both of the Antelope he is looking for. GOOD LUCK.

Kevin

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-09 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]Well my wife and I had a great time hunting antelope for the first time. We scouted hard all day the Friday befor her hunt and found a remote valley with 5 decent buck hiding out. We were able to take this buck opening morning of my wife's hunt, 10 minutes after leagal shooting time. She made a great shot and dropped him in his tracks (no tracking job needed to find this one). We were packed up and on our way back home by 10 am.

Dan(CAelknut)thanks for all your help.

Kevin and Theresa

4aa67a6a064aea4c.jpg

4aa67a98086e2972.jpg

4aa67aaf0959e40e.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-09 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]glad it worked out for ya! Nothing wrong that little fella!
what she think of the smell?

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

He was a little stinky, but not to bad. He sure is tasty though, we were a little worried because I heard alot of poeple say that they didn't tast that good. he tasted better than the deer we took in wyoming 2 years ago, and better than most steaks you get in the stores today. We have been eating antelope almost every night yummmmmm.

I got my antelope and elk back in Oct last year. We ate elk through May except for ground. My wife took about 10 lbs of antelope steak to work for a barbaque and everyone raved about it. Since then I'll bet 4 of our 5 speedgoats have been eaten.

Several horseshoe tournaments have barbaqued Antelope as the main course. I think a couple of guys are planning a meat antelope hunt in WY next year because of it. IMO, it's the best but I hate the stink and hair while dressing them, whew!!!!!!

We had 2 more tags last year and didn't fill them just because I was tired of skinning and quartering while smelling them and fighting that damn hair. I regret that decision now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom