late archery unit 39

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-12 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]Yup, this was pure scouting trip. Drove to the top, glassed every hill we could see, all does. Snow at the very top. We hiked about a mile from the road too then glassed again. Just wanted to get an idea if the deer were down and they were not. Gates are now closed so it will be lots of miles on foot.

If there is snow this unit is one of the best tags to get in the state. You see 15-20 bucks a day. Last year with no snow we saw about 10 hogs that were 5x5's with kickers.

All the big ones have made it to danskin, I would look there.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Ya they are definitely down. Went up by Atlanta in the snow and didn't see one deer. Two sets of tracks. Hunted lower the next day and seen over 100 deer biggest being a 20-22" 4 point. No big bucks around and the bucks we seen were rutting. Makes me wonder if there is very many big boys left. I'm sure theres a few but far and few in between. Not what it use to be for sure.

39 is one of the biggest units in the state and you are trying to tell us that since you checked out a few spots and didn't see any of the big boys, that you wonder if there are any left? I love this site...!

Let's see pics of the last three years of your otc muleys nick. Ya me too I love this site.

I was talking about 39-2...

Was out there today again, all does. Hiked my butt off. When it gets colder it will work out, just like last year

Oh, I wouldn't know about the draw area. I do all my hunting on public, otc hunts. Makes it the challenge I'm looking for.

Washmuley you are trying to say that the 39-2 isnt a challenge like the otc tag? Well that makes as much since as your last post that all the big dogs are gone because you didnt see em on your couple hunts. Its a huge unit and there could be 2 hodads over the next hill where you stopped. Keep poundin the hills and find em instead of poundin the web and bitchin. Im sure your the guy who hikes the first big hill at 8am glasses for 30 min and says this area sucks because you didnt see 50 deer and 3 big bucks. Maybe you should start puttin in for controlled hunt because that way your syle could turn up some big bucks!

Hey buddy, I have only lived out in Idaho for one year, this will be my second season so I will be sure to post #2 later on this December once I have a chance to hunt. But here is #1.... OTC.. DIY... Public Land... Archery...Spot and Stalk.

2524mule_deer.jpg

Anything else you'd like from me while I am at it?

I'm in the hills 2-3 days a week starting in late July until December. I have a pretty good idea what's out there. That's a nice deer you got-Congrats. But when I say big boy I'm talking 180+. I've shot many deer from 150-194 all on otc public land. I'm not bitching I'm just stating fact. Don't take it so personal.

Seen three bucks in the 20-24" range up behind hilltop and they are rutting
hard. Good luck.

guys, what the hell are you doing! if he's convinced there are only a few big bucks left, you should agree with him and tell him he's better off finding somewhere else to hunt:)

Nice buck Nick... One of these years I will get a chance at bucks between 150 - 194. Would be awesome.

>guys, what the hell are you
>doing! if he's convinced there
>are only a few big
>bucks left, you should agree
>with him and tell him
>he's better off finding somewhere
>else to hunt:)

Like..

First day out today since we put up the blind before the opener. The deer are starting to move in, does first of coarse but the two breeders I saw were swollen up and Pushin does. Saw a total of 40 does in a lot of small pockets and 5&6 with the two nice bucks. One a nice 3x4 with mass and a really nice 4 (Maby 5) pointer. Also little 1x2. They are starting to round them up in that area so next weekend should be prime with more bucks and peak rut. Could not make it happen today but had plenty of opportunities at does, just worked way to hard this year to clock out before the game starts.

Typical year. No real weather pushing them down so things will be spread out. I have heard they have been seeing some great bucks all over but 39 is big country with a bow. good luck.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

>Nice buck Nick... One of these
>years I will get a
>chance at bucks between 150
>- 194. Would be awesome.
>

Didn't you just shoot a big one.. Seems I saw a picture somewhere.. LOL.. Nice buck, again!! Congrats!

Got a chance at what I guessed had to be over 190" today.Got to within His does ran when I hit around 70 yrds. He already noticed me I think but didn't want to leave them. But when his does busted out he followed. Will be after him now the rest of the season for sure.

Nice. With the snow planned in the mountains, more of the bigger ones should be out. I have about a month left for my deer, lots of hiking and trying to get close. I will shoot a doe the last week though

Good luck everyone

I have been watching the rut for 20 days now...I keep thinking the next time I get out it will be coming to an end.

The does I see are almost running constantly. I think they're sick of being harrased. Stalking bucks that never bed is a challenge, for sure. Good luck.

But just a heads up... No matter how long you spend in a area or unit you will never see every buck in there. Them big bucks get big from being smart. I spend my fair share out and about and still have friends and brothers with different pics as me. I am glad that all the bucks are not known. Due to would never get to kill them bruisers. Everyone would be on them.
Good luck guys and keep hunting.. Be safe and have fun.

Where's all the pics. With as many people I've been seeing in 39 someone has should have had better luck than me by now.

Saw at least 40 does yesterday and 5 bucks, 2 of them absolute monsters. I was shocked to still see them chasing does. Got within 65 yards to a big 4x4 but could not get any closer, with the wind blowing 10 mph I wasn't gonna try and take a shot. So many deer, after seeing the bucks, its tough to shoot a doe this early in my hunt

>Got a chance at what I
>guessed had to be over
>190" today.Got to within His
>does ran when I hit
>around 70 yrds. He already
>noticed me I think but
>didn't want to leave them.
>But when his does busted
>out he followed. Will be
>after him now the rest
>of the season for sure.
>

Can you send me GPS coordinates to this "fantasy land" since we all know that "there are no big bucks around" in Idaho?

Im not about to throw out any scores, since i am horrible at score estimates. BUT, i have seen several nice bucks over a few days hunting. A couple real whoppers, and quite a few 4 points and such. just saying there are some out there. just a matter of getting an arrow in one

No gps coordinates but seen him up middle fork. And your right there is very few monsters in Idaho if you just consider otc units. There is a few. Why do idahoans get so upset when you state the facts. Just look at the b&c entry #'s in the last ten yrs. The book Idahos greatest mule deer sums up what has happened to Idaho in the last ten yrs. I know you have pride in your state but facts are facts. By the way there is a couple nice ones on from Idaho on my wall so I know there's a few. Keep in mind I'm speaking otc,I don't consider the trophy units as realistic hunting units,just my opinion. That's more like winning a big buck in a lottery.

It definitely isn't what it used to be I'm sure but a lot of very good controlled hunts in idaho are just different time frames in the same OTC units. There are only a handful of units in the state that are designated trophy units with no OTC opportunity in them, and even some of those I would consider over rated compared to their draw odds. So honestly, people with legitimate honey holes in OTC areas have it made.

But you are hunting in the busiest unit in the state for the smartest big bucks in the state, relatively speaking...

Looks like WASHMULEYHUNTER is up to his old tricks. He tried the same stuff on WA hunting site, but took his ball and ran when called out.

OTC only, huh? Ask him about his 2010 entiat late rifle tag, arguably the best mule deer draw tag in the state. A legitimate 180" plus kinda tag for a good hunter. He managed a 150" buck...

I have yet to see these trophy OTC bucks he speaks of. Another thing is, why are you back behind hill top if you are hunting otc tags only. Thats a "big buck lottery tag". The only reason we are sensitive about our state is because idiots like you come in from out of state and start making statements that you have no knowledge to back! Go back to washington!

>I'm in the hills 2-3 days
>a week starting in late
>July until December. I have
>a pretty good idea what's
>out there. That's a nice
>deer you got-Congrats. But when
>I say big boy I'm
>talking 180+. I've shot many
>deer from 150-194 all on
>otc public land. I'm not
>bitching I'm just stating fact.
>Don't take it so personal.
>

this is kind of funny coming from you since the year before last you were having a hard time locating even a doe. Here's washmuleyhunters post from late oct 2010, by the way nice archery buck NickM

"I moved over here about two months ago from Washington. Heard stories from hunters coming back from and Idaho read stories in the past. So when my wife was offered a job here couldn't wait to come. After looking for deer and talking to people the public deer are gone for the most part at least in numbers. Ive covered unit 39 and 32 above Emmitt with 32 having the best outlook. In Washington they don't have the Gene pool but they certainly have numbers of deer. You can hike 1-3 miles a canyon into a basin and be guaranteed to at least see a good 10-20 deer and hopefully a shooter buck. The same looking country here I haven't even seen a single deer. I have been to Montana and Wyoming also and can't help to see deer there. Did I move to Idaho just when all the deer died or is most of the good hunting here during draw tag hunting and private propery"

>I have yet to see these
>trophy OTC bucks he speaks
>of. Another thing is,
>why are you back behind
>hill top if you are
>hunting otc tags only.
>Thats a "big buck lottery
>tag". The only reason
>we are sensitive about our
>state is because idiots like
>you come in from out
>of state and start making
> statements that you have
>no knowledge to back!
>Go back to washington!

Lol!

On my way home! Talk soon Andy!

I likely won't shoot anything big, but I'll fill my tag and be sure to post some pictures. I can't wait to start hunting. Dang it's been awhile!

>I would have thought they would
>have cooled down by now,
>but every group of does
>had a buck on them.
>

They are hotter right now than they were last week. Big bucks finally coming out of the wood work and putting the chase on.

I bowhunt in both Idaho and Eastern Washington. Shot a doe already in Wa, looking like a doe in Idaho too unless the weather changes.

I love the meat so a doe is just fine

WA MULEY has a point, everyone puts their deer into the record book. That is common knowledge, so if that book says the numbers are down, they must be. He's just stating the facts guys. Lmfao

Here we go again. If you have such a problem with someone LEGALLY taking a buck.. go whine somewhere else. Like to fish and game if you feel so strongly about it. SMH

My mother is deceased. So if you would like to die and go discuss that with her.. be my guest.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-12 AT 00:06AM (MST)[p]Or perhaps we can discuss your run in's with F&G..

I wonder how killing a small buck is that much more detrimental to an already diminished deer herd than killing a doe out of the same pool of animals. I'm no biologist, but this sounds a bit off the cuff. Not everyone can kill only mature trophy bucks.

the typical buck to doe ratio in id is about 15:100.
of those the 15, 13 are young and immature.
if you take an middle age or older dry doe out of the mix, its less detrimental to the herd (and hunting quality) than a young buck.

Can you tell us your sources for that info?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I'd just like to know where you get those numbers from as I can't ever find good info like that.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

Sure you dont... so post up your story and I'll post up the truth..

My point being, why judge someone who hunts Legally when you've had run ins with F&G doing things Illegally..??

Valid argument, no?

I'll go ahead and say he is wrong.

Biologically if you want the "herds" to improve you are much better off taking a young buck that can't carry a fawn, than any doe that can.

If your hope is to shoot a bigger buck the next year, than yes your argument may be valid. Most would consider "struggling herd" to mean you want more deer and not just bigger horns.

We all have our limits and I blame no one for taking a legal deer. Plus, I think the herd was in much better shape this year with not only more deer/bucks since 07', but bigger bucks. That's may only be my experience though.

I have counted doe to buck numbers over the years in 39 while I'm hunting and my personal ratio is about 6 to 1...year after year.

really sheep dip, thats your response. you have no clue who i am but you are absolutely positive ive had run ins with f&g doing things illegally? thanks for moving to tardville...that village now has one more idiot and idaho is a better place.

what does tw stand for? "tiny weiner"?
why dont you go back to your own thread and resume whining about the bad bad man that looked at you through a riflescope instead of his binoculars. where did you ride that bike from anyway? mamby-pamby land?

who the hell are you to judge someone for LEGALLY killing a deer? if you have a problem with the way things are, take it up with fish and game. don't come on here and bash a guy for doing nothing wrong. so i take it you only kill 170"+ bucks?

im not judging anyone for anything. i am voicing my opinion against the practice of shooting little bucks. yes, in 12 years of hunting idaho, ive killed 5 mule deer, 4 165+ bucks and a doe. and ive eaten 6 tags, (all 4 buck tags were filled on draw hunts where people are not allowed to mow down all the forkies).
my point is that up until 80s, idaho and colorado were the #1,#2 producers of trophy mule deer and number 3 was a long ways back. in the last decade, colorado is still #1. Idaho has dropped to #9. why? because the mountains in colorado at 12k ft elevation have easier winters and less winter kill? no,
almost all of colorado is draw, almost all of idaho is general.
its not rocket phsychiatry...
when i read about someone buying a second tag to kill a second little buck, im going to voice my opinion every time.
your mom.

"if you take an middle age or older dry doe out of the mix, its less detrimental to the herd (and hunting quality) than a young buck."

" i am voicing my opinion against the practice of shooting little bucks"

actually, you are dead wrong on both accounts;

the reason you are shooting more mature bucks in limited draw units is not because people are not shooting 2 pts or little bucks, its because the limited draw status of the unit is restricting the entire buck harvest which is what is increasing the number of bucks, and consequently, the number of mature bucks in the population.

the "best" animal to take out of the population (if you are going to take one) is a young buck. The idea that there are a bunch of "old dry does" in the population is false. With predation, doe harvests, highway deaths, etc, the vast majority of the does in the population are younger does capable of reproduction.

You want to increase the number of bucks (and consequently big bucks) in the population?? The does are part of your answer.

The reason deer herds are suffering is poor fawn recruitment;

You want to protect does, at all costs......and, it is almost impossible for a hunter to properly identify an "old dry doe" anyway, even if there were any of them in the population, and there aren't very many of them I am quite certain; "old dry does" are not the problem in ID.

You also seem to completely not grasp the concept that if you stop people from shooting little bucks, either through regulation, like 3 pt or 4 pt or better rules, or through "social pressure" like you are advocating, then people end up shooting the MATURE bucks;

any regulation, or behavior pattern, that stops or limits the shooting of smaller bucks, INCREASES the pressure on mature bucks.

Some of your most successful and healthy units in ID are units that require hunters to shoot little bucks!! The SW units in ID require general hunters to shoot 2 pt or LESS;

these units have some of the best age structure in their buck populations then ANY units in ID; and, how do they do it???

by requiring hunters to harvest smaller bucks.............when you shoot smaller bucks, you SAVE the larger bucks in the population.

I am sure you are exactly correct that most buck to doe ratios are 15/100 in ID; and I am sure you are exactly correct that 13 out out of those 15 are immature bucks;

That is exactly what is one of the primary problems in our mule deer herds is extremely poor age structure; nature intended for mature male animals in ungulate populations to do the breeding; and there is good science that says that does bred by mature bucks throw fitter fawns that can survive better. One of the biggest problems we have seen all over the West in all mule deer herds is consistent, systemic, poor fawn recruitment.

Does anyone think that the fact that we are having the equivalent of 13 yr old boys doing most of the breeding that we are having these poor fawn recruitment problems all over the West???

By your theory, we should inititate 4 pt or better rules in all ID units to stop this practice of people shooting little bucks.

BUT, this has proven to be a disasterous management tool in mule deer herds all over the West. And why???

Because it forces people to shoot more mature animals, and, then all that is left in the population is immature animals during the breeding period because this class of bucks are the protected ones.

The 2 pt or less units ID have great population age structure post hunting season during the breeding; that is because the regulation is protecting the mature bucks, and shooting the little bucks.

Shooting little bucks in the population is not the problem; shooting too many bucks in the population is the problem; regulations or societal pressure to not shoot little bucks and shoot big bucks is a problem; and, not saving the does, at all costs, is a problem;

a lot of these units still have youth doe tags, regular doe tags, archery doe tags, etc, etc. There should be ZERO doe tags of any kind unless the unit is at population objective.

The age structure problem in the buck populations also needs to be fixed, either through regulations like 2 pt or less, OR limited draw status for units to reduce the overall buck harvest so as to allow older bucks.

The IDFG needs to not only have buck to doe ratio guidelines, but, also mature buck to immature buck ratio guidelines.

But, the big issue in all of this is fawn recrtuitment; mature bucks doing the breeding can help; not harvesting any does can help; won't solve all the issues in fawn recruitment, but these two issues can help;

But, you are categorically wrong that in stating the worst animal to harvest is the immature buck; it is the least harmful animal to harvest in the population..............

I see the war between the armchair biologists and thumb-suckers still rages on the MM Idaho forums!

Not to throw in with one side or the other here, but do you long time mule deer hunters really need to shoot a forked horn or doe every year? If so, why?

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

>I have counted doe to buck
>numbers over the years in
>39 while I'm hunting and
>my personal ratio is about
>6 to 1...year after year.

>"Aerial survey information indicates buck:doe ratios
>were below 15:100 in most
>units during winter 2007-2008."
>
>
>https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/wildlife/Wildlife Technical Reports/Mule Deer PR08.pdf

Good, maybe it's gotten slightly better since then. My personal, Non-scientific observations put it at 16.6 per 100

another post taken over by a bunch of use less CRAP again !!as for F&Gs so called aerial surveys they are half assed at best...2 different F&G wardens that have been or still are involved with these aerial surveys have told me how they come up with their #s !! 1st warden who did spring & winter flights in units 22 31 & 32 for over 8 years said for every deer or elk they see from the air they assume there are 3 that they did not see !!!! 2nd warden said he had only been on a few flights & they did a similar system if they saw 1 deer they counted it as 3 in heavier timber or deep canyons they added 1..I pesonally sat with 3 other hunters all with binos & spotting scopes & we watched a herd of 300 to 320 elk from a distance of over 500 yards for well over an hour..the following weekend I ran into one of these wardens who had also counted the same herd the same day that we did said he counted 85 head ??? when I asked him how he came to that # he said he himself sat & counted them ?? I told him his count was WAY OFF & he said he assumed he missed a few !! Just a further point one of the guys involved in the original counting of this elk herd lived in the house we counted from & watched this same herd for over a month before they moved over the hill...

I love venison! I'm not going to get into the biology of deer on this forum. First I say there's not very many big deer left and people bash me by saying that I don't know what I'm talking about because there is a lot of big bucks out there.How many pics were posted of this years late 39 archery hunt-none. Then I say I shot a small buNow I say I shot a small buck and people bash me for hurting the already diminished deer herd. LMAO, make up your mind. All I can say is I love venison and love the experience of hunting. I have shot big deer and bears. Ian in b&c book,not bragging just saying I've shot my fair share of big game. I have worked harder for some of the smaller deer than the bigger ones. All in all I hunt because I love to hunt.

>another post taken over by a
>bunch of use less CRAP
>again !!as for F&Gs so
>called aerial surveys they are
>half assed at best...2 different
>F&G wardens that have been
>or still are involved with
>these aerial surveys have told
>me how they come up
>with their #s !!
>1st warden who did spring
>& winter flights in units
>22 31 & 32 for
>over 8 years said for
>every deer or elk they
>see from the air they
>assume there are 3 that
>they did not see !!!!
> 2nd warden said he
>had only been on a
>few flights & they did
>a similar system if they
>saw 1 deer they counted
>it as 3 in heavier
>timber or deep canyons they
>added 1..I pesonally sat with
>3 other hunters all with
>binos & spotting scopes &
>we watched a herd of
>300 to 320 elk from
>a distance of over 500
>yards for well over an
>hour..the following weekend I ran
>into one of these wardens
>who had also counted the
>same herd the same day
>that we did said he
>counted 85 head ???
>when I asked him how
>he came to that #
>he said he himself sat
>& counted them ?? I
>told him his count was
>WAY OFF & he said
>he assumed he missed a
>few !! Just a
>further point one of the
>guys involved in the original
>counting of this elk herd
>lived in the house we
>counted from & watched this
>same herd for over a
>month before they moved over
>the hill...

Is this a one sentence paragraph?

Anyway, from your story I take that F&G is under counting the herds.

lipcurl, you're a *****, u sound like the only one compensating for something since you only shoot monsters...

first of all...i hijacked this thread first. all you other boners quit re-hijacking it and taking it off chasing silly tangents like 4pt only seasons and the inaccuracy of aerial surveys.
The problem is that idaho has less big bucks than it used to. End of story.
Take any management model you want, if you kill less young bucks, you will end up with more old bucks.
Here's the solution: we as idaho hunters need to start a grass roots movement. Anyone who is seen with a little buck or doe in their truck...gets kicked in the nads. Anyone with washington plates on their truck...gets kicked in the nads. anyone with snow in their MM handle...gets kicked in the nads.
lets get this implemented now and in two years, i guarantee we'll have a better deer herd.

>first of all...i hijacked this thread
>first. all you other
>boners quit re-hijacking it and
>taking it off chasing silly
>tangents like 4pt only seasons
>and the inaccuracy of aerial
>surveys.
> The problem is that
>idaho has less big bucks
>than it used to. End
>of story.
> Take any management model
>you want, if you kill
>less young bucks, you will
>end up with more old
>bucks.
> Here's the solution: we
>as idaho hunters need to
>start a grass roots movement.
> Anyone who is seen
>with a little buck or
>doe in their truck...gets kicked
>in the nads. Anyone
>with washington plates on their
>truck...gets kicked in the nads.
> anyone with snow in
>their MM handle...gets kicked in
>the nads.
> lets get this
>implemented now and in two
>years, i guarantee we'll have
>a better deer herd.
>

You'll probably just end up in jail for assault. Or if you did it to me I'd shoot you in the nads.

>first. all you other
>surveys.
> The problem is that
>than it used to. End
>of story.
>you want, if you kill
>end up with more old
>bucks.
> Anyone who is seen
>with a little buck or
>in the nads. Anyone
> anyone with snow in
>the nads.
> lets get this
>a better deer herd.
>

The science behind this proposal is solid...

granted this site isn't called "does and forky's" but my 2x3 eats great. shooting mature bucks before the rut kills the herd.
"trophy" hunters will be the death of this sport, as horn hunting is tough for the anti's to try and justify. my 2 cents

>first. all you other
>surveys.
> The problem is that
>than it used to. End
>of story.
>you want, if you kill
>end up with more old
>bucks.
> Anyone who is seen
>with a little buck or
>in the nads. Anyone
> anyone with snow in
>the nads.
> lets get this
>a better deer herd.
>

The first step towards fixing the herds is to determine which middle school you go to or how many teeth you have, then we'll go from there.

wait..did i hear someone say killing big bucks before the rut is bad? for instance if 90% of the state were a general tag and we sold 20,000 tags a year and turned all of those hunters loose right before the rut..(let just say in october for arguments sake) and we did this for years and years on end, we might eventually end up with a weaker herd? We might end up with something like a 15:100 buck to doe ratio and mature bucks in the 1:100 range? If i were to spend 10-15 days in the field on the late archery hunt on the winter range, I would see 2 and 3 pts doing the majority of the breeding?
Please proceed...
The only logical path to recovery must be to sell 2 tags to every hunter so we can remove more of the small bucks from the herd, as this will reduce the pressure on the 1:100 mature bucks.
as far as how tasty your forky is...ill concede a young buck doesnt taste bad and i dont hate jerky. but after you've paid $301.75 for a second tag, $50-100 for gas (if you are efficient) are you really a meat hunter? is your second forky going to taste better than prime rib or lobster?

you are trying to take my hijacked thread off topic again.
i will tell you i let a 160" 4pt walk in an OTC unit this year.

>you are trying to take my
>hijacked thread off topic again.
>
>i will tell you i let
>a 160" 4pt walk in
>an OTC unit this year.
>

Shot a few 150-160's within 1/2 mile of the road. That's not saying much. Where's the 190" +. Or is that what your saying? You can't find one to shoot.

>i have an engineering degree snowballer...whachu
>got?

So you can do math but cannot have an adult conversation without name calling like a elementary school bully? Where you teased as a child. I sense some serious psychological issues brewing.
Best not poke the bear as it seems to have a temper and cannot control it.

On another note:

3 major problems facing our deer herds

1. Over hunting
2. Weather
3. Poaching/Predators

A study was conducted in Oregon that claimed just as many animals are poached each year as there are legally taken. That alone is damaging herds immensely.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12 AT 02:22?PM (MST)

What would you know about it? Your ego is clouding your judgment on whats important.

I'm darn proud of her too. First archey animal. Isnt that what its all about? Hunting with family, enjoying the outdoors? Not who can bag the biggest antlers? At least thats how it is with those of us that think every animal is a trophy. My kid sure thought she was a trophy. Best hunt I've ever had with my little one right by my side. But what would a guy like you understand about that.

By your screen name thats what you do... destroy deer and elk herds. Congrats.

"Take any management model you want, if you kill less young bucks, you will end up with more old bucks."

mmmm.....not true again, you seem pretty good at throwing things out there with no facts to back them up other then your link to buck to doe ratio's;

you seem to consider yourself gods gift to ID hunting so I am surprised that you are not aware of the Owyhee units in Southern ID????

those units boast some of the best age structure in the State, and guess how they get there????

By shooting little bucks..........

I'm also a little confused because earlier you said its ok to shoot a "dry old doe", but here later you say that as part of your management plan you are going to kick people in the nads if they have any doe in the back of their truck;

So, which is it?? Old dry does, or all does?? I just want to make sure if I am hunting and I run into you and I have a doe in the back of my truck what I can expect??? Sounds like either a slap on the back of congratulations (if I have that old dry doe) or a kick in the nads if I have just a regular doe.........

The only reason I brought up 4 pt or better regulations is that typically, people like yourself on these boards, who think like you do, think these are great regulations at getting people to stop shooting little bucks.

I mean that is exactly what you are advocating isn't it??? If we could only get these people to stop shooting little bucks, all our problems with our deer herds would be solved??

You seem to be pretty intent on not shooting little bucks, so explain to me the specific management tool/ or season structure, that IDFG should adopt to get people to stop shooting little bucks??

and, since you are quite the hunter, and only shoot 165 bucks or better, how about posting up some pics of what you have harvested????

Why don't you enlighten us as to where you come by your "facts" muleyguy?

Cuz I'm not buying some of them, chief. If you're habitually killing does and young bucks every season you're doing some level of harm whether you choose to believe it or not.

Those who pursue mature bucks exclusively are likely only killing a buck once every few seasons.

Of course these are general statements with a huge number of variables from location to location. But by and large true.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12
>AT 02:40?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12
>AT 02:22?PM (MST)

>
>What would you know about it?
>Your ego is clouding your
>judgment on whats important.
>
>I'm darn proud of her too.
>First archey animal. Isnt that
>what its all about? Hunting
>with family, enjoying the outdoors?
>Not who can bag the
>biggest antlers? At least thats
>how it is with those
>of us that think every
>animal is a trophy. My
>kid sure thought she was
>a trophy. Best hunt I've
>ever had with my little
>one right by my side.
>But what would a guy
>like you understand about that.
>
>
>By your screen name thats what
>you do... destroy deer and
>elk herds. Congrats.

haha Dreamin, destroyer was being sarcastic. You, in no way, shape or form need to defend your wife or daughter or whoever for taking a doe with a bow. i would have loved to have been there.

wow.
..i found a 150" 4pt two years ago, 5 miles from a road, 1 mile from the closest trail. he thinks hes a mtn goat and lives in a nasty avalanche chute, safe from most hunters. i went back this year to see if he'd reached his potential and he hadnt, so i let him go for another year.

...and somehow you interpreted this to mean i shoot 150s by the road? that doesnt even make any sense...what did you have for lunch? paint chips? are you in WA right now? did you already start celebrating the legalization?

no, i havent cracked the 190" mark yet and its been a few years since ive put a 180"+ on the ground. no, im not happy about it and yes its part of my motivation for arguing against shooting little bucks. i have found 200"+ bucks and regularly find 180+. finding and legally killing in an open season are two different tasks.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12 AT 10:37PM (MST)[p] dude..seriously..you proclaimed to the whole intraweb i was a poacher (without even knowing my name) and im the one that cant have an adult conversation? and then your special man friend chimes in calling me a d-bag?
...ill tell you what, ill act like a grown up as soon as i see one semi intelligent response from dreaminaboutmen, twsnowballsonhischin18, or WASHINMYSTINKEYE...till then, im fighting stupid with stupid.

Frankly anyone who kills an animal, whether big or small, is "hurting" the population. Anytime an animal is killed, it is one less animal in the herd. That being said i saw probably 100 plus bucks this year in about 30 days hunting, and saw many I wouldn't have hesitated to kill. I feel like the deer herd this year had both better quality and quantity than last year.

By an insecure bully like you? How could anyone take anything you say seriously. Its pathetic really. All those 'lol' and 'lmao' you put at the end of 99% of your posts are just that. Smh

Wow, this has become a very mature argument.

I do believe that while everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it wouldn't hurt to at least read some research. I know there are many on here who will make it sound like anyone who get's paid to manage wildlife(biologists) are just anti-hunters with a long term plan, but there is some interesting stuff out there and like I keep saying, it just isn't that simple. It's not just predators(wolves/coyotes), over hunting, or global warming. If it was, certainly someone would have fixed it by now.

While some states are better than others, and some years are better than others, clearly the decline of the mule deer is being realized across the western US, and not localized. So the more we can get educated the better chance we will have to figure out and support the right fix.

Frankly, if you were to look at the bigget influence on all things that we are all concerned about, be it bigger deer or more deer, or more opportunity, the only one overriding factor is mother nature. Give us the right weather at the right times and the herds and bucks just get better, but only in cycles and not at the same level as the "good old days".

>By an insecure bully like you?
>How could anyone take anything
>you say seriously. Its pathetic
>really. All those 'lol' and
>'lmao' you put at the
>end of 99% of your
>posts are just that. Smh
>

Pretty much, exactly how I would have put it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom