Late Currant Creek Cow Elk

Vanilla

Long Time Member
Well, I drew a late CC cow tag. I'm excited as I've never hunted this late before and I always like a new challenge. The hunt starts mid-January and goes to the end of the month.

Any pointers anyone can give me on this? Where do these elk go in January?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-14 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]It's going to be very interesting to see how the cow control
permits affect the late season hunts.....

Most attlerless permits were going to be removed from this unit
for 2014 BUT the Wildlife board changed all that!

Cow hunts start there one week from today a go continueusly
until your hunt TS........UNLIMITED cow control permits!!!!!!

There might not be any cows left by January..Wink ;-) ..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I was a little worried by that, to be honest. But I'm sure there will be two left for my nephew and I to go chase. He'll get first shot since it's his first elk hunt (17), but I also want to fill the freezer. My family has taken to elk meat, which makes my heart happy.

Come on goof...give up the goods. I know you have all of them microchipped and named!

>I was a little worried by
>that, to be honest.
>But I'm sure there will
>be two left for my
>nephew and I to go
>chase. He'll get first
>shot since it's his first
>elk hunt (17), but I
>also want to fill the
>freezer. My family has taken
>to elk meat, which makes
>my heart happy.
>
>Come on goof...give up the goods.
> I know you have
>all of them microchipped and
>named!

I draw it every year. It really depends on snow levels. Last year there was hardly any snow and we shoot are cows dang near on top. The year before there was a lot more snow and I shoot mine really close to highway 40. Best advice I can give you is possibly take a drive a week before the hunts and see if you can find some. IFor you can make it before the hunt. Drive around and look for tracks. It will give you an idea of what level the elk are at.

I can definitely spend some time before, and I've got a decent amount of time I can take during the hunt if necessary.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it!

Any other advice out there?

My hunt is starting here shortly. Anyone been out seeing them? I hope to take a drive or two in the next couple weeks to look around. Would love some info if anyone has some up to date.

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-15 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]>My hunt is starting here shortly.
>Anyone been out seeing them?
> I hope to take
>a drive or two in
>the next couple weeks to
>look around. Would love some
>info if anyone has some
>up to date.
>
>Thanks!

I have been up there just about every weekend at our cabin. I can honestly tell you the non stop hunting and uncontrolled amounts of cow tags have definitely taken their toll on the herds.I have not just been driving around while up there I put in some good time on the boots as well. I get bored sometimes in the cabin so I will take off hoofing it. Anyways herds that use to be 50 plus elk are now 5-10 tops. I use to see 4-6 separate herds a day easy. to now I am lucky if I see 1 or 2. The cows are absolutely spooked from the non stop pressure and hanging high on the ridges for the most part.its the dwr did a stand up job on ruining this unit. There are still elk to be had I will tell you the same thing I have told the thousands of hunters who have asked while I have been up there. Put some miles on your boots and you can still find some small herds. but the days of a good sucess rate up there are over. P.m me if you need some further help

Nothing yet. Hunted Saturday and Monday in the WMA. Saw more deer than I ever remember seeing in such close proximity and over a relatively small area. A couple really nice bucks.

Saturday I saw two different groups of bulls. One with 4 and the other with 3. One really nice bull, the others smaller 6's and rags.

Haven't seen a cow yet. Just seems there isn't enough snow. The south side of Tabby Mountain is pretty much bare. We'll give it another go!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom