Late muzzleloader deer hunt with son.

rmanwill

Long Time Member
Just back last night after 7 days on mountain with son.

Seen this buck on second day. Killed him this morning after looking at 50+ 4x4's.

Several hundred bucks. Probably 80+ 3 pointers or better. 15 or so that was them that made you think about them.

That buck has 42 3/4 inches of mass.

20231203_111528.jpg

20231205_154812.jpg

20231204_183613.jpg

20231203_074850.jpg

20231203_111121.jpg

20231203_183638.jpg

33776.jpeg

That is an incredible Buck! Can't believe you let him walk on day 2, glad you were able to find him again.
I told him he wouldn't find a prettier buck, but didn't want to make his mind up for him. He was sure glad when seen him 3 days later in a pocket with 5 other bucks. Even happier to have several videos and photos of him before shooting him. No ground shrinkage and the mass was even better then thought. Son still has a smile on his face

One Of These Days rman!

One Of These Days!

I've Had Alot Of Fun Down There!

It Can Be A Butt Kicker Though!

And The Only Warm Place I Know Down There Would Be Your Tent!:D

Thanks!

See what you missed out on
You were invited and always welcome in my camp elks. All you needed was a cot and sleeping bag. 🤣

That is a great buck, congrats to your son!

Also, you are a great photographer. I really like the pics, great job.

I would also hesitate on inviting Bess. He will have you cleaned out of “Dew” by the end of day one 😀

Too bad the ole wall tent(s) can't talk. A lot of good memories over the years.....Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado.

Too bad the ole wall tent(s) can't talk. A lot of good memories over the years.....Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado.
Yes that wall tent has been on many hunts in several states making memories for both of us and numerous friends and family. Wish I knew how many days have been spent on the mountain in that tent or one of my other 3 wall tents. Sure have paid for themselves numerous times over.

Hopefully you will get back here in Utah to make a few more hunts before I'm to bang old. 🤣

Just back last night after 7 days on mountain with son.

Seen this buck on second day. Killed him this morning after looking at 50+ 4x4's.

Several hundred bucks. Probably 80+ 3 pointers or better. 15 or so that was them that made you think about them.

That buck has 42 3/4 inches of mass.

View attachment 128516

View attachment 128523

View attachment 128524

View attachment 128525

View attachment 128526

View attachment 128527

View attachment 128528
Great buck and way to make sure he was the one you wanted.

Great buck, sounds like you have some history camping/hunting in wall tents.
I got a question about your tent set up.
I noticed you have that patio fake grass for the flooring, is there a reason why you use that instead of a canvas tarp or carpet (I have seen a few do the carpet)?

I don't know anyone who would pass a buck like that.! Dang nice.! Glad it came together after getting to spend all that time together.!

I noticed you have that patio fake grass for the flooring, is there a reason why you use that instead of a canvas tarp or carpet (I have seen a few do the carpet)?
Tarp and carpet on back 2/3rds. Just always have used fake grass seems to clean up better and not stain. Sure it drys faster and better also. Just one man's opinion. Works for me the past 20+ years.

Pay Attention There notdon!

He's Got Golf Clubs In There As Well!

Thanks Jesse. Haven't personally seen one on the hoof with mass like his in many years. Glad could get it done for my son. He still is sporting a smile.

Dandy buck!!
Looks like a great time spent with your boy!

View attachment 129058
Didn't realize I forgot to delete that picture with the light. Had a blurb about these, I added to my wall tent set up this year that I really liked them. Deleted because I didn't want to detract from the thread, too late now I guess. They were super handy, can turn them on and off from the warm sleeping bag, no noise, no light right in your eye level, and not bonking your head on the damn thing if you hang it from the frame. Not a replacement for lantern but a great addition to the tent set-up.

Didn't realize I forgot to delete that picture with the light. Had a blurb about these, I added to my wall tent set up this year that I really liked them. Deleted because I didn't want to detract from the thread, too late now I guess. They were super handy, can turn them on and off from the warm sleeping bag, no noise, no light right in your eye level, and not bonking your head on the damn thing if you hang it from the frame. Not a replacement for lantern but a great addition to the tent set-up.
Picked these solar powered lights up for around $25 this year and tried. Not bad with hand held control from in the sleeping bag. Just need a hunt with enough sun to keep them charged.

Still need lantern for cooking or really good light.

20231107_061741.jpg

20231107_061724.jpg

Last edited:
Bingo!! Nice set-up btw. I've always taken my small wall tent when I have two guys. After seeing your set up with the cook stove in the tent, I might just set up my bigger tent and keep everything inside rather than screw around with the tarp/awning. Do you cook most everything in the tent? How about a bbq?

We need to get a wall tent tips/tricks/pics/mods thread going! Ill see about firing it up in the next day or two.

Bingo!! Nice set-up btw. I've always taken my small wall tent when I have two guys. After seeing your set up with the cook stove in the tent, I might just set up my bigger tent and keep everything inside rather than screw around with the tarp/awning. Do you cook most everything in the tent? How about a bbq?

We need to get a wall tent tips/tricks/pics/mods thread going! Ill see about firing it up in the next day or two.
I have 4 wall tents. 3 of the 12x14, 12x15 and the larger 14x16. Weekends i will take the smaller tents. On trips more then about 3 days up to 10 days always take the larger tent. Once set up it is nice to have the extra room. When more then 3 go I will take at least 2 wall tents.

I cook everything in the tent on camp chef stove and wood burning stove other then early great weather hunts and then I'll take a pop up awning and add tarps on three of the sides as a cook area.

The small tent is plenty for 2 people, but the larger one sure is nice for the extra room and no problem leaving the large camp chairs set up right inside of tent tent.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom