Late Season Cow

P

PumpJack

Had a quick and successful cow hunt this past weekend. Shot her in the first two hours. Luckily we had two pack her less than half a mile to the nearest road. Had some good memories with the uncle. He said he doesn't know how many more elk hunts he has left, so I had to bring him along. Got a little bloody, and had a good time in some beautiful country.
1790nm_elk_hunt_057.jpg

8048nm_elk_hunt_118.jpg

424nm_elk_hunt_123.jpg

6977nm_elk_hunt_136.jpg

She was pretty good size. The pack was pretty heavy with a hind quarter and her hide on it.
Does anyone know what a typical cost is for getting an elk hide tanned? I got a quote from a taxidermist where I'm at who charges by the sq. ft. and it came out to be about $550. Seems a pretty steep to me, but I was just curious what other taxidermists charge. I usually tan my own deer hides and it's a lotta work--don't even want to imagine how much time/work an ek hide would require. Plus I don't want to risk messing it up.

We sent our buffalo hide to Moyle Mink & Tannery last year and were super happy with how quick it came back (6 weeks). We've never done it like this before but it's super easy. Just throw the hide upside down on a tilted pallet and add a ton of salt to dry it out.

There are directions on how to pack.. Looks like an elk is $150.

http://www.moytown.com/resources.html#preptips

Great looking Cow. Its awesome to get in a good hunt with great family like your uncle. Great job.

What unit did you get it in?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-10 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]Dont have a taxidermist tan the hide. The taxidermist send it to a tannery and throw a mark up % on top of the bill.

Send it in to Crazy Three Tannery in CO and tell Carrie that Taylor Haught sent you.

Great post. Those photos and grins pretty much capture the spirit of a good family hunt. Thanks for sharing!

-Cody

The smiles say it all!

In my quest for a big racked bull, I got tired not drawing and drew a Colorado cow tag a few years back. Had a great hunt.
Killed the cow with the muzzy and had the hide tanned hair off.
This was much better than staying home and watching the outdoor channel! Cow hunts are underrated. I was prepared to let the cow tag slide if I drew a LE bull tag in one of the 3 other states I applyed to.

Like your uncle I don't know how many more elk hunts I have left in my tank. My 8year old grandson can't grow fast enough for me.
My promise to take him on his first elk hunt is proving to be a
tough road. I hope to have a simular photo spread when it finally occurs.

Congrats on a fine animal!

Griz

Thanks Griz. My uncle and I were supposed to go on our first elk hunt in a few years in Colorado once we build enough points up. He doesn't know if his knees will let him hike or elk hunt in a few years. I drew my cow tag and had to bring him along. I really enjoyed the hunt. It was a great experience. She was in a herd of about fifty and it was neat to hear they way the heard was communicating. The cows were quite noisy and several bulls were contributing too. I was only 75 yards from them so I was right close to all the action.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom