Late season moose advice

UGAhunter

Just a few days of hunting left. Anyone have any GENERAL advice on how to hunt moose late in the season? There is 10-12 inches of snow over there now. Where will they be hanging out?

Cover country looking for tracks...glass, glass, and glass. I would concentrate on feeding areas (aspens, willows, etc.). I've found big bulls in Montana in thick lodgepole while hunting elk, but don't know how you would effectively hunt them. Just cover as much country as you can. Also, if there are still elk/deer/lion hunters in the area...stop and ask everyone if they've seen any. Most people are pretty good about giving out information. I would also talk to any landowners or locals in the area.

I don't think moose move much this time of year. Also, be aware that many of the bigger bulls could start to shed pretty early. I wouldn't be surprised to see bulls with one, or even no antlers here within a week or two.

I had a late tag in MT in 1998 and my hunt started Nov. 15...I saw one bull that had already shed prior to Thanksgiving.

I ended up taking an average bull, but at least it had both antlers.

Best of luck to you...hope you find one.

Ive never had a moose permit, and the only SE Idaho unit I have ever hunted was unit 71 early in the season, I saw em' but it was early in the year.

But would really highlight what Buzz said in the above post. In Montana, this exact time of year, ALL the moose I see in the areas I hunt are down low, in creek bottoms with willows and willow/aspen mix with evergreen nowhere in sight. The creeks don't have to be big, stuff you can step over the top of is big enough as long as there are willows around. Just walk that type of country and you should see some.

Also, some farmers will literally have moose in their hay bales eating hay. Doesn't hurt to ask.

"Shouldn't be that hard" Just watch the willows beaver ponds, etc.

JK I've been righ there with UGAhunter for 20 of 35 days of hard hunting, hiking, glassing, calling... No shooters.

Just shot my late season wy bull last week. Not familiar with your area, but here is what little I know about moose this time of year and what I found.

Some moose are still in the pines, bogs, willows. Many have moved into their wintering areas. We found them hanging in the mahogany and buck brush surrounded by sage and some aspens. I'd find glassable areas out of the pines. Drive roads cutting tracks is also a good way to go. I shot my bull out in calf-high sage, with some purple buck brush. He and his companions had left the bottoms and the pines. Of course- if the wintering areas are in the pines and willows my advice is not good.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Thick overgrown burn areas. Best beat is to cut fresh tracks in the morning and follow them up. Moose are extremely easy to track in the lower 48 due to lack of hunting pressure...that's how I got my big bull.

What unit? I'm seeing them all over the place around Idaho Falls, in different units. Seven on Saturday alone.

Send a PM

Ya Blank, that is the story of my fall!

My tag is 76-3.

I know people that have seen lots of nice bulls in 70, 73, 77, 78, 75, 76-1, 76-2, 66A, 66-2, 63A, 67, and 65. I have not talked to a single deer/elk hunter all fall that has seen a mature bull in 76-3. Oops sorry, I started venting, its my pent up frustration after 35 days of hunting! x(

Sorry, that really sucks. I have not gone any further down than 66A this season so can't help in 76 at all. The majority of bulls have still been wandering around on open ridges in the sunshine since it got cold. Like others mentioned, little pockets of willows, draws out of the wind, or edges of timber seem to attrack them now. The little bulls may be around the cows, but the big ones still tend to be by themselves, until they all gang up to winter next month. Good luck.

7100moose.jpg

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom