leftover cow tags

J

JMBC

does anyone have any info they would share on unit 25 or 28. Is one of those a hunt I could get done with the wife and boy tagging along for family vacation? Also considering maybe just doing some leftover Antelope doe tags. I am using this yr for some meat and scouting different areas with some family time thrown in. Thanks if anyone has some info or suggestions

Jess

For what you are talking about doing with the family, I would strongly suggest you forget the elk and do a pronghorn hunt. I have no idea what your chances of shooting a cow would be down by Lander because I don't hunt down there, but unit 28 is already sold out and unit 25 only has 19 tags left as of a few minutes ago.I would buy multiple tags for some goats and have fun doing that. If properly taken care of, it will be good meat to fill the freezer with if that's what you're looking for and won't kill the family in the process of doing it.

As of two minutes ago there are still 49 cow tags left over for area 28. Easy area to killa cow if you're willing to hunt off the roads. I see hundres of elk in there when I'm chasing Mountain lions.

Best of Luck

Scratch

Scratch---Those are not reduced price type 6 licenses that he was thinking of purchasing that are sold out. The 49 tags you are referring to are full price type 4 licenses that sell for $577, the same price as they want for a bull tag.

Thanks guys, I'll just get on my CD ROM and dig around a little bit for some antelope ground. Might just go out there and do some butchering for some extra cash while the wife goes shopping.

JMBC---Take a look at antelope unit 29, as there are a lot of tags left and there are two big chunks of public ground over to the east and southeast sides of the unit that should give you a decent hunt along with some smaller areas throughout the unit.

topgun,
I will do that. Also have been lookin at 20,21, and 113. With the equipment we both have these days we could get on lots of ground. Thanks

Well with that said if I decide on unit 21, I think I will get the wife the Buck tag and me a doe tag. She has'nt experienced the west yet. So if anyone is interested in volunteering any info on that unit please pm me. If not thats fine too. I could take her back to the unit I've hunted before but I just wanted to try a new one. Thanks guys.
Jess

JMBC---I pulled that up on my CD and it looks like there are hardly any public roads in that unit that would make much of the public land legally accessible. Maybe someone will come on and help you, but I think if it was myself I'd be looking at tags in 29 or the unit you said you had been in before. What I just mentioned may be the reason why there are also buck tags left in that unit.

I do agree on 21 roads, does not look that good. I just looked at 29 on the CD and looked a bit more accessible. Have you been over by those grasslands? Are there the normal amount of goats hangin around? Anyway thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-11 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]
Sorry, but I misspoke when I said unit 29. It is okay, but I actually meant unit 26. If you go out on 40 and 45 east of Bill that is on Hwy. 59 going N/S, there is a lot of public land with goats and there are a jillion doe tags left for the unit. In fact, I'm rather surprised because there are also 900 buck tags left too.

Topgun
Ok maybe I'm a dumb missouri boy but east of Bill is Unit 29.So just to clarify, are we looking at 29 or 26 both look bout the same.

It was my mistake!!! I was correct the first time as it IS 29. As I was moving between maps and looking to see what tags were available, the pointer got moved off of 29 and was showing the stats for 26 when I started typing my response to you. I'm about mapped out with tryng to help people and doing all the maps for two hunts I'm helping a buddy on in AZ and NM, LOL! In fact, my nurse wife told me a couple days ago I was spending way too much time on the computer and my eyes were going to suffer. She was right because by the time I shut it off last night my left eye was hurting and getting blurry, so I'm going to have to listen to her! Sorry for the confusion! I did just check the WY F&G website and you can buy up to 4 doe tags in either of those units or a combination thereof, so the animals are there if you can just do your thing and get onto the public ground. You may even be able to get a rancher or two to let you on for free to just shoot does. A lot of them will do that, but want a fee to allow a buck to be taken.

KENTUCK---F&G used to have their own CD ROM for sale that covers the entire state and I bought it for $50. They did away with it a few years ago and I think their online store now sells a DeLorme package that is around $100. I just bought a DeLorme DVD "TOPO North America" last week of the entire US, Mexico, and Canada at Cabelas for $100 and am just getting used to it and all the features it has available, including waypointing anywhere. My next purchase may be a newfangled GPS unit so I don't even need to make maps because they have SD chips or downloads now off the copmputer so that everything is right on the GPS screen itself. I just haven't convinced myself to spend several hundred dollars on one yet.

Topgun
CD rom and gps sd card is money well spent!
thanks gonna analyze some more, dont think the tags will sell out too fast

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom