license question

backpacker

I was reading the regs. and was wondering if the only way to build elk or deer preference pts in MT is to buy the general license (NR), then apply for the hard to draw units- I only ask because I wouldn't be hunting the MT general season so it really doesn't pay to try to build points unless you do hunt the general season, right? Thanks.

huh? You can't "buy" a general license, you have to apply and then check the box that you want to buy the bonus point. You cannot just apply to get points as you may be drawn.

Also what do you mean you won't be hunting Montana's General season?

I still don't really understand your questions.

Nemont

I am a NR that applys for the big game combo. The years that I draw the combo tag I will then apply for a hard to draw permit area. I have not drawn a special permit yet. I have 4 points for elk.

When I don't draw a special elk permit I just don't use the elk license. The reason is that I hunt on friends ranches in central MT for deer. All the elk hunting is permit only in that area. I don't have enough time to hunt deer in one area and then go hunt elk someplace else.

If you have the time there are a lot of places in the state to use your general season elk tag while you wait to draw your special permit. Also the years you don't draw a combo license you can still by a elk bonus point for that year. So that way you don't loose any ground.

Also if you draw the big game combo license but not your special permit you can turn in you combo license before Aug and get about 80% of your money back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom