Lightning strike kills deer heard

I found seven cows dead (fried) under a cross country power line. Landowner said he had so many lightning strikes on his place the insurance companies would no longer cover him for it. His house had been hit multiple times.
I got pinned down from lightning many times while hunting that 3500 acre place. Whoever said lightning won't strike twice in the same place was full of sh*t!

When I was guiding in Colo. during the '70s, the Pagosa sheriff's office hired us to haul a dead hunter who had been hit while he & two other guys were riding atop the Continental Divide at about 11K' in the Weminuche WA. The strike killed the one dude & his horse and also partly burned the guy following him. Nothing happened to the 3rd one.

Last edited:
I wonder if the heard herd the thunder before the lightening hit the heard. :ROFLMAO:
Nope. Electricity and light travel faster than the sound.

When I was 16, and working at the Boy Scout camp, lightning struck a tall pine next to the tin roof building at the rifle range. I was leaning against the lock hinge on a wooden door at the time. Saw the flash. Never heard the sound!

Knocked me down and out, but no long-term effects, but no long-term effects, but no long-term effects.

Nope. Electricity and light travel faster than the sound.

When I was 16, and working at the Boy Scout camp, lightning struck a tall pine next to the tin roof building at the rifle range. I was leaning against the lock hinge on a wooden door at the time. Saw the flash. Never heard the sound!

Knocked me down and out, but no long-term effects, but no long-term effects, but no long-term effects.
Yeah, I know that. But I couldn't have written what I did being realistic. ;)

When I was a little shaver of about 10 in NJ, I collected postage stamps. I was lying on the living room floor at the base of a table with a lamp on it. I had a stamp album open in front of me. Lightning came through the window glass, hit the lamp exploding the bulb & burned a 1" hole into about 30 pages of my album. My hair prickled up, but that was it.

When I was guiding in Colo. during the '70s, the Pagosa sheriff's office hired us to haul a dead hunter who had been hit while he & two other guys were riding atop the Continental Divide at about 11K' in the Weminuche WA. The strike killed the one dude & his horse and also partly burned the guy following him. Nothing happened to the 3rd one.
I was skiing at Wolf Creek one spring when they closed a lift line due to high winds. I decided to go home. I made one last speed run, then headed for the truck. I racked the skiis on the passenger side, locked them in, and headed for the driver side. I had just opened the door and grabbed the wheel when I heard the POW. Sounded like it was right next to me. And, I felt a pretty good tingle. I knew what happened, although until I did a walk around of the truck and noticed about 8" of the radio antenna missing and a little ball of slag looking stuff on the stub....it was on the passenger side.

Yeah, I know that. But I couldn't have written what I did being realistic. ;)

When I was a little shaver of about 10 in NJ, I collected postage stamps. I was lying on the living room floor at the base of a table with a lamp on it. I had a stamp album open in front of me. Lightning came through the window glass, hit the lamp exploding the bulb & burned a 1" hole into about 30 pages of my album. My hair prickled up, but that was it.
Wow! I bet you were a bit surprised, lol!

A guy I used to work with had a picture of a whole herd of sheep killed by a lightning strike on top of the Park Valley mountains in NW Utah. Best picture I ever saw with all those mountain maggots laying belly up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom