Limited Entry units 15/17/18/19

ClarkW

Has anyone hunted elk on the limited entry group of units which is 17a/b, 18a/b, 15a/b and 19b?

Tons of hunters like to drive their ATV's all through 18B looking for elk during deer season. Problem is, there are no elk in 18B during deer season and thank's to all the additional hunters, there are no deer in northern 18B either. Been hunting that area for over ten years and since the AZDGF added this limited elk hunt its been totally trashed.

The above advice is solid. If any elk exist in these areas, they are in 17A and mostly in the northern section. The area around Camp Wood and east and north of Yolo Ranch may hold elk. West of Yolo in 18B is cedars and high desert and there are no elk there during the limited season.

I have seen lots of old elk droppings during deer season, but no tracks and certainly no elk. I did pick up a broken off 5 point antler while scouting one season, but my guess is the elk were there in Jan. or Feb., not in Oct Nov. Too hot.

Don't waste your time in 18B, spend it wisely in 17A north in the Ponderosa pines and you may fill your tag.

Sorry for the ramble, but its a sore subject.
264X300

Had This tag last year. Killed a good bull low in the cedars in one of the 18's. Should have a good hunt if you scout hard and have a positive attitude. Not a lot of elk but they are there and they may be low down in the cedars.

Unit 18A DOES have some elk--and some good ones too, in it.

See a number of them along I-40, and while on some antelope hunts, saw a few in the Truxton Flat area.

Most of the elk are in the 17's...

Not an easy hunt. These is a hunt you'd rather be lucky than good!

Don Martin
AWO

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom