Link to my CO bow sheep hunt

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I did not get ram and gave it heck - got my chance on day 16 and grazed a 3/4 curls belly. ouch. Loved it and did my best. Here is the story (more pics and info on bowsite main forums, sheep see link):

Here is the story from my 2008 sheep hunt.
Statistics:
3100 ? miles driven roundtrip
16 ? days hunted until I got my shot
24 ? total rams seen (many were probably the same rams different days)
15 ? days spent in spike camp alone
2 ? days spent in main camp alone
2 ? days spent in main camp with my dad
2- days spent sleeping on benches at rest areas (1 coming and 1 going)
100 ? approximate hours spent glassing
7 ? most days I went without seeing a ram
The first 2 days of the season I saw rams, including some nice ones, every morning and evening. They were well above where sheep had been killed in the past and where most told me to look. I had no problem with this but since I was seeing only a few I stayed low for 2 days to observe them and learn their habits and watch for more sheep below. The sheep in this unit, while I was there, were very random. It was not until the very end of my hunt that I saw rams in the same place twice ? and that was only because I had seen them on pretty much every part of the mountain! All the sheep I saw were 500 feet or more above where all the sheep claimed to have been killed in the past.
On day 3 I went high, above and past the sheep so I could camp and not disturb them. I spent 3 days playing the wind and thermals sneaking around trying to spot them feeding. Each day I got more aggressive. After 3 days of no sheep I realized they had to have smelled, seen and heard more (or all 3) and likely had moved. I then dropped back down and looked for them ? they were nowhere to be found. The next few days I spend glassing hard and checking new areas with no luck ? except for some ewes and lambs near my main camp.
I then returned to where I had seen the sheep at first and spotted a lone ram in the early morning light sneaking along, I never got a chance to pursue but that is a different story ? suffice to say my dad was worried about and really screwed up that day.
I retuned up high for the remaining part of the hunt. I had a few encounters including 3 nice rams popping out 300 yards away. With where they were walking along I had to sneak down through 100 yards of steep terrain, deadfalls, rocks, pine cones (basically the loudest terrain imaginable) all the while guessing where they were. I opted to circle ahead and wait at spot I figured they would bed or pass by, they never showed and that night I waited nearby for them to show ? they never did. This drove me nuts since, or the most part, my only chance at killing a ram was to happen to have one pop out nearby, and they had.
Basically the rams I saw in the evening were very late and there was never enough time to stalk them. In the morning I occasionally saw rams but in order to spot them I usually had to be down below them or glassing from a nearby slope. This meant 1-2 hours to get around or up to them and more time to stalk in closer. This was tough since most spots were impossible to recognize once there. I basically had to wait for rams to pop out nearby - which was hard because most times I could see very little of the slope I was on. The other option was spot one bedded on the open, this happened opening day and never again ? the sheep got smart to being hunted FAST. I tried sneaking along and peaking over the rim looking for bedded sheep ? this was recommended to me but someone and was a great idea. My problem was how slow to go, go real slow like you assumed a sheep was there and it took my 4-5 hours to cover ? mile. Likely there was one group of sheep in a 2-3 mile area ? plus even at that pace I was likely to see maybe half the sheep bedded and best, most would still detect me before I spotted them. Their beds were very well chosen. During the trip I found literally hundreds of beds.
Early in the hunt I realized that do to the lack of open terrain, randomness of the sheep and lack of daily sightings I was in for a tough hunt. Many times I wanted to quit and go home. However I really wanted a sheep and I reminded myself of all the guys who wanted this tag and did not draw. It sounds corny but I felt like I was obligated to give it my very best shot, so I did.
Before the hunt I was worried about sheep being ?tame? or not in ?sheep like? habitat. I did not want to stalk sheep near the highway or have them stare at me unalarmed at 100 yards. Many people had made it sound like this was the case. It was not ? I was glad. Sheep were up high, always just down from the rims and often in cliffs and rough terrain (this was the only consistent thing about where they were).
I sacrificed a lot for this hunt. 3 weeks vacation time (I had to borrow a week from next year!) time away from my kids, no elk hunt (I love elk hunting) tag and gas costs from Ohio etc. Many times I questioned if it was worth it. A big part was my fault for putting so much into it without really realizing it would be a bust. Not getting a sheep I could handle but never getting close was getting to me too much. I still was not about to quite.
On day 16 I spotted some sheep about ? of a mile away. I quickly confirmed a legal ram and then the sun hit them and they disappeared so I assumed they were bedded. I quickly worked over the area, took of my shoes and began stalking in. I peaked over the ledge ? sure I would spot them below. I had and arrow nocked and my rangefinder in hand. Nothing. I slowly began to work down the rim. The sun was up, wind in my face and I was a good approach and, for once, was sure I was in exactly the right spot since I knew this area. It took me an hour to get there and another hour to slowly work down 150 yards or so. I was sure the sheep were gone ? I was past where I saw them. However I was not giving up. Every 10 -15 minutes I heard what sounded like something big moving nearby. I thought it might be the squirrels dropping pine cones but it sounded different. I reached a steep dirt/rock slope and rolled a few rocks accidentally. I froze, not good! I finally moved again but I was highlighted in the sun. After 3 steps I clearly heard a rock shift 200 yards away and out of site. Sheep leaving I figured ? for sure. Ah well, I still assumed they were there and proceeded quietly. After 10 minutes I heard rocks shifting, again. 10 more minutes and another rock shifting. I was sure it was sheep and they were close. I reached a spot with a good view and decided to stay put for ? hour and watch. After 5-10 minutes I saw movement below ? a ram slowly approaching over the rocks! Binos confirmed a small 5/8 curl ? legal ram! Holly smokes! I also found another patch of hair behind him. Slowly 4 rams worked out below me. 3 5/8 curls and a nice ? curl broomed ram. He had 2 yellow ear tags and was clearly darker, larger and in charge. These rams were very cautious. It took them 10 minutes to cross 30 yards over rocks below me. I ranged one shooting lane I had across the rocks. 50 yards at closest point I could shoot too, 60 yards further and 70 yards further yet (this is horizontal range only). The sheep crossed and bedded below me. By luck the large ram bedded in my only shooting hole though some pines and a dead aspen. Rangefinder read 53 yards. I was well hidden, face painted but there was no way to get closer ? I had to drop down a 20 foot cliff in the sun and in plain sight. I opted to take the shot ? but the problem was the arc of my arrow made it likely I would hit a branch on the way, I got as low as I could and got a 2nd arrow ready. I was sure if I missed and the arrow was deflected I would get a second shot before the sheep were gone. I still question taking a shot I thought would be deflected but to be honest I wanted a sheep ? bad. In hindsight I admit I should have passed. As expected the arrow hit the tree and bounced into the rocks past the sheep. I nocked the second arrow. The sheep jumped up and moved a few feet and looked around. After 10 minutes they slowly began to walk back the way they came. As they passed through the shooting lane and biggest ram stopped and gave me a broadside shot. I guessed him to be at the 60 yard mark ( I should have ranged him). It was a long shot. I help my 50 yard pin high and shot. The arrow flew perfect, until the last 5 yards when it dropped. I saw the arrow clearly and I know it hit very low or missed low I also clearly heard my arrow hit a rock. The sheep ran only 30 yards. I was able to watch the rams, clearly at 100 yards for 15 minutes and then 10 more when they were in trees. There was no evidence at all I hit the ram and I was sure I missed. The rams finally slowly walked off. The whole encounter took nearly an hour. I was sure they did not go far and dropped down to try to get another shot at the big ram. I ended up spooking them and returned to where I had shot from. Although I was sure I missed I figured I better find my arrow to be 100% sure. I found an arrow ? clean and busted up from the rocks, but after second I realized it was my first shot (I have my arrows numbered). After some searching I found my 2nd arrow. To my surprise it had blood on 12? of arrow. This was a shock. First I was PISSED at myself for pushing them. Second I was, again, in shock. I went to where they had been standing and found some blood, not a lot, but enough I debated if it was just a nick. The ram had stood there 10 minutes. I immediately left not wanting to push them further ? and cursing myself. I have not lost an animal in almost 10 years and sue did not want to wound a sheep. This was fun, I was still in socks. I climbed probably 500 feet and covered 2 miles in my socks. My feet were not happy. I went to camp ate lunch then returned to where I had spotted the sheep. I figured with a group of 4 I had a shot at spotting them again ? plus I wanted to give them ram at least 8 hours. Immediately I spotted 2 rams in the same area (very close) working their way up from where I had last seen them and bedding. One ram would bed for 10 minutes then get up and pace the rebed and get up and pace. This happened 4 times over 2 hours. I was sure it was my ram. It was hard to tell but it looked like when he bedded he propped up his chest with his front legs. Finally the 2 rams got up to feed, ?my? ram easily jumped, dropped down cliffs and appeared unhurt. I watched them feed for an hour then worked over the begin looking. I spent time that night and all the next day looking for blood and the ram. I was able to find the exact spot I saw him bedded (with a map I drew) but found no blood in the bed. I searched as if he was dead and found nothing. I had 2 days left to hunt but given that I had drawn blood I did not hunt and went home early. The arrow confuses me. I clearly saw in pass through ? or disappear as it passed the ram. I clearly heard it hit a rock (and the tip showed it had). How did I only penetrate 12?? My guesses are I grazed the ram low just enough to cut and have the broad head pass through (there was blood on all the blades) then maybe a blade caught bone and fishtailed the arrow so the rest of the arrow, and feathers, did not pass through the hole or it hit a rock right next to the sheep and the rest of the arrow fishtailed out and did not hit him. Regardless I drew blood and did not find my ram. I am very unhappy I did this and have mentally punched myself enough. My only consolation is I am fairly sure the ram will live. The rams come down during the rut and are often recaptured each year, likely I will find out the fate of my ram.
This hunt was very hard, and I do not mean physically ? that I expected. I researched the hunt before applying and after drawing a lot. What I did not expect was how few sheep I saw and how random they were. Without being disturbed they simply moved around ? a lot. That combined with not seeing many, and not being able to glass areas from close by and them only being visible for brief periods ? made hunting tough. A partner to help signal me in to sheep would have been a huge bonus. Instead I drew very detailed maps before a stalk. I do think there was a very slow period that was not normally, the first and last couple days I found lots of sheep ? the 2 weeks in between I found very very few. Spotting them was very tough, they blend in great! Most times I spotted the whole sheep, but occasionally I spotted their white butts. I am sure I missed seeing many since it was tough but many of the sheep I did spot I could not believe I even saw ? they were well hidden and blended in.
I also want o thank many people for their help off the top of my head nontypical (he helped me out a ton), Perry, Robb, heloman, elksong, tthomas, zbone (thanks for Mnt Evans tip ? it was great) BB, to name a few I am sure I forgot some and I plan to call others and thank them. Also Kelly Wood with CO G&F and GREAT and helped me out a lot. I met locals there who went way out of their way to help or offer assistance even though they did not know me. I am sure I have forgotten quite a few ? sorry!
This hunt was very tough, I met a hard core local bowhunter with the same tag and he had the same problems. Sheep sightings were rare, brief and sheep were never in the same spot twice. He stalked a good ram in a different area and when it spooked he saw it run 1 mile and disappear still running! These are wild sheep!
I debate my approach and at times I think I was too aggressive at times I think I was not aggressive enough. There is little I would change about the way I hunted ? it was simply a very tough hunt.
Good points:
- I got to hunt sheep!
- I learned a lot about extended spike camping (I returned for food every 4-5 days)
- I saw lots of elk, lots of turkeys, a bear, mountain lion tracks, bobcat tracks, lots of bear sign and a few mule deer
- Great people, and great scenery
- I learned a lot about myself (15 days alone in spike camp will do that)
- This was a great step towards more remote spike camps, I was about 3.5 miles in but it was along a closed dirt road or trail ? to leave I simply follow them downhill ? plus there was a well used trail near my camp I was alone but not truly ?remote?
The sheep are there and there are some nice ones. With the exception of my ram and I never got a great look at any but I am sure I saw some nice 160 rams, probably up to 170. Some were full curl or very close. I would guess my ram at 145.
Elk are a lot easier to hunt! Sheep are tougher to spot and have fewer ways to hunt them. Also they are in groups, bed in a circle and pick some great bedding spots so approaching them is really hard ? even if you know they are there.

http://forums.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=12

I love others stories and pics so I figured I would post mine. It was tough not tagging but I was surprised I was in good spirits, I really gave it all I could and hunted hard and did get a chance. Not many sheep hunters, especially unguided goofs from Ohio like me, get within bow range of 4 rams (and rifle range a few others). Pics and more like I said at bowsite.

Enjoy.

Don, thanks for sharing your hunt. I think it's fair to say you gave it your all. I was really hoping to check in at bowsite and see your success story. Checked every day. Sorry you were unable to seal the deal with that ram. I am sure you consider this hunt a success whether you took a ram home with you or not. And you should. I have to say, I'm not sure I could stay after it that many days alone. My hat is off to you.

Thanks again.

Wow donV.....

Sure is alot of words and long--------------------way of just saying Skunked..........

We all have been there in not so many words....

How do ya hit a Ram under the belly and feel the broadhead didn't cut into him?

Ya ever just skimmed across your palm or finger with a broadhead blade.......and bled for like an hour from a 'nick'...?

Or did ya use a mechanical and felt it didn't even 'open' upon contact with the Ram.....

Well atleast ya gave it your best....good for you.

Robb

Bad news you didn't get a ram, good news is you don't have to wait 5 years before you can apply again. Sounds like you gave it all you had------sounds like a success---you got into them. The next tag----you'll be a seasoned veteran & they won't stand a chance. CB

Great story and awesome pics! It sounds like you had the hunt of a lifetime. I hope you get a chance to hunt these magestic creatures again some day. I hope that you read the story of my Eastern Oregon sheep hunt from this year. Good luck on your next sheep hunt.

I did cut into him, and I am fairly sure I watched him that evening (8 hours later) and he looked fine. I still spent 1-1/2 days scouring the area for sign and the ram but found nothing. At that point I have 2-1/2 days left I could hunt but since I drew blood I stopped.

I am pretty sure it was a very low belly hit based on all info I had and watching him for a long time close after the shot and saw him later.

As for long story I enjoy writing (always have) and write it to save for myself (so I can remember the hunt in 30 years), so rather then spend time watering it down I just copy and paste it. If you do not like long stories do not read it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom