Locker & Taxidermist advice needed

SDBugler

Very Active Member
I’m posting this in both the AZ and NM forums to since it applies to both.

I’m looking for some suggestions for lockers & taxidermists in the Alpine, Eagar/Springerville, Reserve, Socorro area.

One of my sons and I have elk hunts that are pretty close together. I have an AZ archery elk tag in unit 27 September 15-28 and then a week later my son has a NM rifle tag just across the border in unit 16B October 7-11.

Because the drive from SD is a pretty long haul for us, we plan to spend the week between hunts doing some scouting for his hunt (even though I have hunted 16B twice in the past).

Normally we butcher and process our game ourselves but since we will potentially be spending two additional weeks before heading home, I will probably need to have my elk processed at a locker if I’m lucky enough to harvest. Then pick it up after his hunt before we head home. I would also need to get the cape to a taxidermist to care for it.

Do any of you local AZ and NM residents have any suggestions for good lockers and/or taxidermists?

You can post here or PM me if you are more comfortable.

Our other option would be to drop off a small chest freezer at my sisters-in-law’s in Colorado Springs and process my elk there between hunts and return to NM. I have done this before several years ago when I had back-to-back ibex/mountain goat/elk tags.

Thanks!

There are a few meat lockers around the Gila area from Aragon into Reserve. There is Also a taxidermist in Magdalena I believe. If you happen to come up threw Albuquerque I can help you out with your Taxidermy needs.
Give me a call or text
Geno (505)203-5138

Last edited:
There is a guy in Alpine that sets up a refrigerated semi-trailer for the hunts. I don't know the name of the business, but he also runs the bait shop at Luna Lake. There is a taxidermist in Silver I can recommend...Royal Jon's Taxidermy.

The top 2 of the worst 3 taxidermy and meat processing experiences of my life were in springerville. Hard pass on Rusty’s meats and Hale Taxidermy if either are still in business.

There are a few meat lockers around the Gila area from Aragon into Reserve. There is Also a taxidermist in Magdalena I believe. If you happen to come up threw Albuquerque I can help you out with your Taxidermy needs.
Give me a call or text
Geno (505)203-5138
I will throw another recommendation for Geno! I recall when we were both working at CVI and he was working on progressing his craft with taxidermy. Today he is one of the best in the area and the time and effort he spends to continually develop is impressive. I wouldn’t hesitate and he is as humble as they come (he’s a MC veteran too boot).

Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

Just to clarify - I don't need someone to mount the bull if I'm lucky to harvest - just need someone to take care of the cape. I'm capable of caping out the head and typically I do this at the kill site. I'm just not comfortable with turning lips, ears, etc. and other final steps before sending to tannery. If I had a frezzer, i would simply store it until we drove home. I have a taxidermist here at home that will end up doing the mount if I end up with something worthy of the wall space.

Why not just have the locker that processes the elk freeze the cape for you and when your sons hunt is done take it home and have your local guy finish it?
That would be great! Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that a locker would keep a cape in its freezer. Like I said, we do all of our own butchering/processing so not familiar with what they can/can't store in their freezers.

thanks to all that have posted suggestions. I appreciate the help. I will make some calls.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom