look at these.

A

antlerquest

hey fellow horn hunters i just thought i would show you these two pics and ask you guys if you ever find any elk horns like these two. i find alot of broken forks,points and sheds like these two, mostly elk antlers and a few muley horns. anyway just thought I would ask and see. Thanks ANTLERQUEST.
wes42203-1.jpg

wes42203-2.jpg

AQ, were these the sheds that you found in the beaver pond? Awesome find. Do you think that they broke off during a fight or did they grow that way?

I've found a lot of broken sheds, but usually not that bad. Last fall I saw a lot of muley bucks with broken antlers and a few had been snapped off right at the base. I think the drought conditions make the antlers brittle and more likely to break when they fight. I always see more broken antlers in drought years.

i found an elk shed about 10 years ago that would have been a big 6-pt but it had been broken off in velvet just above the G-2 and the "new tip" looked like toothpaste coming out of a tube.

my dad found an elk shed last year that would have been a decent 5-pt but it had also been broken off in velvet above the G-2 and had done some really weird growth on the remaining points.

one of these days i'll post pics.

berto

I have found 3 elk antlers this year and all have been broken in half. What a bummer. One of the antlers had water get into it and when my buddy put it on his pack the rotten water ran down his leg. boy did he stink.

Antlerradar

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom