Looking for Excellent Outfitter in Nebraska for 24' Mule Deer Hunt

Dobeman289

I am brand new here, and admit I don't know much about Mule Deer. I have hunted whitetails in IA and IL for many years, but never have I traveled beyond my "home" states to hunt. Neither have I ever used an outfitter, so I want to get this right the first time by doing my research well ahead of schedule. I am in very good physical condition and could handle anything that is thrown at me (at least at the moment). Just like everyone else I would like to harvest the largest buck I can, which generally requires good land and an exceptional guide. I have searched the site here and have found some information, which I will be following up on, but much is from older posts. I would really like to get comments from those of you who have had experience with outfitters in NW Nebraska (my understanding of where the best hunting for Muleys is there). I would be hunting with my muzzleloader in December. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why not hunt un your on and save a bunch of money . There is lots of public ground in NW Nebraska to hunt , and during Muzz. not near the hunting pressure as in the early rifle season . Tags are easy to get in that area . The Pine Ridge area has both WT and Muleys . There is 24 inch muleys there but you will have to get the leg work in to find them. Good luck on your venture

Why not hunt un your on and save a bunch of money . There is lots of public ground in NW Nebraska to hunt , and during Muzz. not near the hunting pressure as in the early rifle season . Tags are easy to get in that area . The Pine Ridge area has both WT and Muleys . There is 24 inch muleys there but you will have to get the leg work in to find them. Good luck on your venture
I have read that the public hunting in Nebraska is extremely pressured, that is why I was looking to find an outfitter.

These guys are pretty popular - https://www.deermeadowsoutfitters.com/

Might have to wait for 2025 though.
I have read this, checked out the website. I am trying to put a short list together and then start making phone calls. 2025 would be fine. I have many hunts on my bucket list-bear, elk, cougar, wolf, axis deer, red stag, to name a few. Hoping to take one each year in the future. I have four years until I retire, but would like to get a jump on the list now, should something happen health-wise where I wouldn't be able to get out and take these trips.

I have read that the public hunting in Nebraska is extremely pressured, that is why I was looking to find an outfitter.
Nebraska public is pretty tough business unless your able to put in a ton of time scouting.

The 2 I would recommend are Spring Meadows and Heartland Pride. Spring Meadows targets big mature bucks.

You’re best chances for a big buck would be during the November firearm season or early archery. December hunts can be pretty tough with or w/o an outfitter.

It’s your choice, but I’d shy away from deer meadows the quality has gone downhill with them selling more hunts. Is a landowner tag in eastern Colorado out? Much better quality of deer.

Pine Ridge is now in the mule deer conservation area….. which is about 10 to 15 years or longer overdue ! Hunted it the last 3 years both rifle and muzzleloader before the switch , place was a joke ! I’ve spent a lot of time in the area in general for work in the last ten years also. Hate to sound like the broken record along with many other places but it’s a dead horse. Even peeking around out in the private ground I’ve never seen a place so void of deer anywhere in my life. Granted it can and does still happen , it’s gonna take some very major changes and time to help anything. I’ve also looked at a ton of outfitters , can’t say as I’d ever pay north of 5 grand to shoot a spindly horn 3x4 but that’s a lot of what I see in the trophy pictures. Just my personal observations but I’d look to a different state entirely. Colorado possibly ……

Pine Ridge is now in the mule deer conservation area….. which is about 10 to 15 years or longer overdue ! Hunted it the last 3 years both rifle and muzzleloader before the switch , place was a joke ! I’ve spent a lot of time in the area in general for work in the last ten years also. Hate to sound like the broken record along with many other places but it’s a dead horse. Even peeking around out in the private ground I’ve never seen a place so void of deer anywhere in my life. Granted it can and does still happen , it’s gonna take some very major changes and time to help anything. I’ve also looked at a ton of outfitters , can’t say as I’d ever pay north of 5 grand to shoot a spindly horn 3x4 but that’s a lot of what I see in the trophy pictures. Just my personal observations but I’d look to a different state entirely. Colorado possibly ……

Sounds like that might be whaI will have to do

Nebraska public is pretty tough business unless your able to put in a ton of time scouting.

The 2 I would recommend are Spring Meadows and Heartland Pride. Spring Meadows targets big mature bucks.

You’re best chances for a big buck would be during the November firearm season or early archery. December hunts can be pretty tough with or w/o an outfitter.

It’s your choice, but I’d shy away from deer meadows the quality has gone downhill with them selling more hunts. Is a landowner tag in eastern Colorado out? Much better quality of deer.

Nothing is out of the question

24’ mule deer are tough to find these days. ?

I don’t know much about Nebraska but I know you could find what you’re looking for in WY or CO———SS

24’ mule deer are tough to find these days. ?

I don’t know much about Nebraska but I know you could find what you’re looking for in WY or CO———SS

I was obviously referring to the 2024 hunting season. The only reason I was looking at Nebraska was the December muzzleloader season. I teach high school (for the next 4yrs) and December would be ideal. I could hold off on the mule deer hunt, acquiring points in CO, and go after I retire (just looked at the deer hunting dates in CO, and that is precisely what I would have to do. I couldn't take a week off of school. Being a teacher provides a lot of time off, but not during most of the hunting seasons. Maybe go on one of my other bucket list hunts, like mountain lion in December? I will post that in another forum. Not ruling out Nebraska yet though.

Last edited:
You'll get done with NE and say :

"That was a waste of time and money."

And you can't get it back. Nothing makes you feel dumber.

You'll get done with NE and say :

"That was a waste of time and money."

And you can't get it back. Nothing makes you feel dumber.
Yeah, definitely no big deer in NE.

Screenshot_20210925-230458.png

Screenshot_20211114-203628.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom