Looking for Quads

P

PDub

I'm thinking of getting a couple of quads...more for weekndend play, but also may use for hunting. Not to hun toff of, but to get to places faster then in a truck. I have very limited knowledge on these...for you quads runners out there...what brands hold up the best. Not wanting to spend a ton on them, but maybe a couple used ones in good condition. For you Fresno-area guys, how about good dealers in the area?
thanks for your help...P-DUB...Scott

I looked a few years ago and settled on a Honda. Its the quietest one out there and it doesn't smoke like some of the two strokes. I use mine for hunting all the time and it is the way to go.

Now that I'm older, it takes all night to do, what I use to do all night.

Driftersifter

I'm sure you will get as many opinions on this as there are on truck models. I own two Honda Foreman 450 ES quads. One is a 2002 the other a 2003. We use them EVERY day on the ranch. We irrigate, move cattle, haul hay on a trailer, etc, EVERY day. I have 3800 miles on the '02 and my wife has around 1500 on her '03. We have had absolutely zero problems with them and have had to make zero repairs. I have adjusted the valves once on mine and change the oil as often as recommended. All I can say is they are the most used pieces of equipment I own. If one is off hunting somewhere or has a flat or something it is the first thing we miss. I think it depends on what you will use them for. For every day use like mine the Hondas are hard to beat.

Thank you for your opinions...I'll definately look into them...
Thanks again...Scott

I have a Honda Rancher (350) and it works great. Next time I will get one a little bigger and 4X4.

I have to agree on the hondas, i have a 1992 350 4x4 and have had absolutely no probs with it. Just change oil, spark plug and clean air filter and your good to go. If i was to buy a new one id probably buy the 500 rubicon automatic.

Chalk up amother for Honda, Ive got two older ones, an 87 2wd and a 94 4wd. Older but both start first time everytime and run all day long, what else can you ask for?

My father and I both use honda foreman 400s and our entire family and ranch also uses Honda exclusivly. My fathers and I are equipped with the stealth exhaust and I have seen first hand that it doesnt spook game nearly as much on the farm as regular exhaust system.

I own a pair of Yamaha Kodiaks and thoroughly enjoy them. I have had no problems in the 3 years I used them. I used them pretty hard while in Alaska, and not so much since returning to the lower 48. ATV's are a fact of life in Alaska. Most folks I know owned either Yamaha or Honda. My advice with which ever brand you go with is to buy one with a front locking differential. When it is really muddy out, it will make all the difference in the world. My Kodiak 450 has one and it has saved my several times from being towed out of the famous Alaska mud.

Take care,
Garion

The great (or not) thing about the full-time 4wd Hondas is 100% traction to all four wheels 100% of the time. Makes them hard to drive on switchbacks but if you ever get in the mud, like Garion said, you would sell off certain body parts to have it.

My dad has a few Yamaha's and they have been nice machines. One, warning that I would give you is to be careful when buying a used fourwheeler It may look nice on the outside but really is a piece of junk when you take a closer look. Just my two cents.

MO

Yes, if i get USED machines, they will be fully inspected by a certified mechanic before purshasing. I realize stuff happens when buying used, but I will do the best I can to avoid that.

Thanks for all the great info...greatly appreciated.

P-DUB..>Scott

Yamaha Grizzly 660. It has been great. It has lots of torque. My two cents.

I have a 2005 Polaris 700EFI and so far love it. I have had the Honda Rancher, Yamaha Grizzly, and another Polaris 400. Of them I like the Polaris's the best. I'm getting older, so the Honda beat me up, the Grizzly vibrated me to death and the Polaris 400 didn't have the power. It did though have a smooth ride. So depending on your age, if young go with the Honda, if older, definately the Polaris. (If you buy the Polaris make sure you get a winch with it, they are very heavy) Best of luck in your decisions.

I'd recommend Honda as well. I have an old '85 250 that still runs like a champ and an '02 Foreman.
-Raptor

I've got to throw another up there for Polaris. Been riding a 400 since 95 and bought a 500 in 03. I've riden most out there...between power and smooth ride, I believe Polaris has got it. I will say that Honda Praire is a close second with smooth ride and POWER. I've had full spike elk on the Polaris with a pal on the front and me on the elk riding back to camp. I say get something 4wd with some good power and keep up on the service recommendations, you'll be fine. Don't go for the lesser 2wd model either...I know a guy who is really tight at the wrong times, pulled him out several times and he always wants to ride my Polaris to get his animals out. Take care!

Ewilt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom