Looking to burn some points!

R

RedFox

I'm looking to burn some points next year in Colorado, and thought I should start researching it now. Anyone have any suggestions on units for deer with 5 points and elk with 4? BTW I hunt rifle and muzzleloader and I'm not afraid to hike in. I'd be hoping for a 170-180 buck and a 300 class bull. Are those expectations too high? PM if you'd prefer.
Thanks,
Jessica

Sorry, I've got to correct the above post, I actually have 5 elk points and 6 deer points. Hopefully that gets me into some better areas.

RedFox, I'd start with the draw odds on the top of he MM page. Type in res or non-res and your points and it will spit out every thing you need to know. good luck, sourkraut

Thanks, I'll check that out. Was also hoping someone could give me some first hand advise. The units that get the most attention are out of my point range. Kinda lookin for something that is under the radar, or hasn't hit the radar just yet, but then again who isn't I guess. Thanks for the help I'll check the odds to start with.
Jessica

You have a ton of options for good hunts with your points, especially for deer. What type of hunt are you looking for? High country? Early rifle, late rifle or muzzy?

Are you a res. or nonres.. Do you mind hunting the 2nd combined rifle season for deer. How many days/weeks will you have to hunt. Do you want to hunt elk and deer in the same season or different season. 6 points should get you at least a 170 buck.You might want to concentrate on one species if you only have a week to hunt.Are you a DIY hunter are do you want to go guided.

I am a non-resident. Wouldn't mind hunting the 2nd combined rifle season if it's gonna give me a good chance at a nice buck. I would love a 170+ buck that would be great. I am a DIY'er and would probably have about 8 days to hunt. I would go for any season and can do rifle or muzzleloader. I would definitely consider only doing one hunt for the year if I can get a good unit, with a good chance at a nice buck. The elk can wait! Thanks for the replies guys.
Jessica

My father is in the same situation.Not enough points to draw a high end rut hunt but enough to get his name in the hat for the early season hunts.He would have drew for the gunnison basin this year but decided to sit on his points for another year because of the harsh winter in the basin.You have the min. # of points needed for a sure draw in unit 66 2nd combined rifle season.66 is sure on the radar though.There are twice as many applications for the 2nd combined season than there was 6 years ago.If I was going to burn 6 points this is where I would be looking.Its pre rut but its a 9 day season.Alot of the deer are already on the move and some snow can really help.(rather be lucky than good).I would put this hunt on the list,do a little research and watch the weather this winter.I have drawn this hunt before.This is going to be my fathers first and last Mule Deer hunt in colorado.He's old enough that he says he can't wait another 6 years for a rut hunt.I have some experience for deer in 66. I can tell you what I know but some help from anybody willing to help my 71 year old father tag that buck of a lifetime sure would be great too. Anyways redfox if you hunt hard for nine days 66 is a good bet.I can tell you what I know but I'm no expert.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom