lope with max pts

bogey

Thinking of trying to draw with my max pts. Any big advantages disadvantages, quality, in unit 57, 58, 60, 61?? Thanks for any help

I think all of them are going to be pretty much the same. The southern end of 57/58 may have gotten more snow, but the rest of it was just normal. All have been getting good rain so far.

py

Dean,

Had a 57 tag in 07 and killed a 84 2/8 and 83 4/8 net buck. Shot it on opening day. Spent 4 days prior to season covering ground and glassing. Saw 2 others over 80. I won't catch up so I won't hunt it again but I would look at 61 and 57.

Rich

Interesting. 60 is the one you know who is saying is the best hunt in the state.

60 has less tags which is nice, maybe it's just because it has less goats.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Any of the areas you mentioned could produce an 80" and above goat!! Pick one and put in. Good Luck on the draws. I wished it was result time already and still have a month to wait/ learn where we will be hunting this fall. Cant wait!!

I had a unit 60 tag in 2012 and would take another tag without blinking.

888042012091911.31.52.jpg

I was on 57 and 58 last fall and I saw several really nice bucks. With max points you should be able to draw any of them. The biggest buck I saw last fall was on 57. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

So it sounds like of the top 4 units it's pretty much a coin toss. some have far fewer tags which is a plus, but I assume less goats too.

Is there an access issue or anything a person should be aware of with any of these areas?

Stay Thirsty My Friends

More or less half of each unit (the part closest to I-80) is checkerboard where access can be difficult.

Tog, fewer tags means fewer goats, for sure. You can decide if that's good or bad. A couple different ways of looking at it.

60, 61 and 57 have checkerboard on the unit where they are close to the interstate. Some of the public roads are not accessible. There is plenty of land to hunt that is not checkerboard in all 3 of those units.

Rich

Well 440 which unit you going for? Hiring a guide or diy? I believe you can't go wrong with either of the 3 or 4. Should be a good year with all the moisture.

I'm leaning towards 60 since it's the hardest to draw. it just seems like you're getting something better if it's the highest demand. but I know that's not always the case.

I've talked to a real good outfitter. I'm not sure if I'll di that route or DIY it depends on how much time I have to burn. I'll never draw a Red Desert tag again I know that so it puts a little more pressure on.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

60 is a great unit. I would have to agree this will more than likely being your only red desert tag with the point game. Post of some pictures if you kill a goat.

I spent some time on the phone today and the more people I talk to the more I think you could just flip a coin between 60-61-57-58. I there is a quality advantage to any of the units it must be very slight.

57 has the most goats that's a given. and the most hunters to go with it. since pronghorn don't need much age to top out in score it is logical more goats means more good goats.

Hell I don't know. I might close my eyes and pick.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I am in the same boat, I would go:

Next year, I will probably go the exact opposite!

We saw two other hunters in 7 days in 57. We only covered a small portion of the southern part of the unit. Northern part is a lot of checkerboard. If you can judge antelope I see no reason why you couldn't find a 80 inch+ goat in 57? I'd love to hunt 57 again! Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom