Malhlur or Beuleh Elk

larrbo

Very Active Member
I have never hunted elk in Oregon and have some bonus points. Have any of you hunted W. Beuleh 265A1, or N. Malhlur 266Y? Are these decent units for public land and a fair chance for a bull?

Thanks,
Larry

I hunted both units, in consecutive years in 99 and 00. We had hair tags in the Beuleh and bull tags in the Malhuer. We were into elk every day in the Beuleh and ended up tagging out on cows and a spike. We had a guy that was pretty much broke down with back problems on opening day who stayed in camp. That afternoon, he decided to take a short walk and ended up about a 1/4 of a mile away. We picked him up on the road that evening coming back to camp. When we got to camp, we had a tracks within 5 feet of the tent, and a dead five point within 1oo yards of the tent. The guy that killed him had gutted him, and left him there to go get his rig. He pulled in to our camp, and we helped him drag it to the rig. Our guy probably only missed him at the tent door by 20 minutes according to when the guy killed him. He didn't even know our camp was there until he walked out to the road and headed for his truck and saw the tent. He felt a bit bad about shooting him on our front porch, but that is how it happens sometimes. Worst part about this unit at the time was there were people everywhere, and all of the elk we saw were running.

the next year, we hunted the Malhuer. The malhuer was a fun hunt even though we didn't kill anything. The malheur was a green dot road unit at the time, probably still is, so we hunted out of camp every day. The best part about this was that there was little to no pressure on most of the elk. We kicked them around all week but just couldn't get much done. I had a herd of about 30 at the top of a ridge that I just couldn't get in on for most of one day. Saw flashes of several bulls, but never enough to throw lead at. Both were real fun hunts. I have been back in with archery gear to both areas and was unable to get it done.

I think most people would tell you are better units to apply for in oregon, but who knows. The new number two archery bull was killed this year outside of Bly in southern oregon. Just goes to show that there are big bulls everywhere if you do your homework, put in your time and pack a little luck into the woods with you.

"success Is Reason Enough!"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-08 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]We have 2 points for 2009 and are looking for hunt we can draw over the next couple of years. I have hunted deer in eastern Oregon about 5 times and Antelope once. I don't know a lot about the elk herds in Oregon or where the best public land hunts are for 2 to 4 points. Thanks for the info so far.

If you've hunted deer here I'm suprised you want to come back at all.

The elk herds are doing ok in most of the central units, not what they were a few years ago but still pretty good. the northeastern part of ther state seems to be on the decline from what I hear, many hunters I talked with said they are very concerned about the situation.

If I was in your position I'd go for the Murderers Creek, Northside or Ochoco unit. they're all limited entry like most in the region and with plenty of public ground holding elk. a 300+ bull could be found in any of them but don't expect anything bigger than a raghorn if you want an elk. you're probably not going to draw for a few more years with only two points, there are other units easier to draw but there's always a reason they take less points. Beulah wouldn't be a bad hunt at all though, if you really don't want to wait a few more years I wouldn't shy away from it.

Dude, I know what you mean about the deer hunting. I did kill a nice 5X4 29" buck in the Owyhee unit in 1994, but the hunts since then have gone down hill each time. We decided to put in for elk a few years back to get some points, I just need to research more to know the when and where. Thanks for the input.

I hunted the East Grant muzzle this season. I killed a nice 5. He was the first elk we saw in 7 days of hard hunting. Another friend hunted his guts out, he had scouted 5 days early, hunted the whole season and saw one bull which was before the opener. We mainly hunted the west beulah, it had to be the most elkless country I've ever hunted. Lot's of deer. I've hunted in 8 eastern oregon units for elk, archery and rifle, and this was the toughest hunt I've been on. Would not and will not go back even though I was successfull. The bull I killed was chithouse luck. Look to other units. Don't know anything about the north Malheur.

Back
Top Bottom