Marble Mtn. Elk?

MTShasta

I was extremely lucky and drew one of the Muzzleloader tags for the Marble Mtns in Calif. I live fairly close to this unit in Northern Calif. and was looking for any information or tips on where to get started scouting? I prefer to do it on my own, but this is just about a once-in-a lifetime tag and realize I may need to hire an outfitter. The season is 10/30-11/7.
Any help would be appreciated.

pm sent...
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

You have had quite a year in the drawings! NV Sheep, CA Sheep & CA Elk, Congrats and Good Luck!
Heard Marble Mountain Guest Ranch can get you on elk with reasonable pack trips or drop camps.

Mcbroom Outfitters is one of the more reputable local guides. DIY will be tough; could get lucky and find one near the Klamath River- but most live deep in the Marbles. I would scout by Wooly pocket or the cuddy lakes. I'm crazy and would drop off of Portugese Peak into Steinacher Creek! But either way, were talking 10+ mile scouting trip!

good luck to ya!

I would go for it DIY but just me start out of Happy Camp and look in the Cougar creek area its a little thick and kinda hard to find (almost due south of Happy Camp) then maybe into the wilderness from Johnson's hunting grounds also alot of elk in the low country of Horse Creek area.

Bill

Hey huntindad4, you a local boy? I appreciated the advice you posted on my Oregon Tag... I decided to go for deer.

Anyhow I have covered most of the Marbles and Trinities; I was thinkin maybe to point this Mt. Shasta guy towards trinity lake if he can find the right landowner i know they have a healthy heard down there now. I was a part of the first re-introduction of elk in the 80's (near independence)- just a litte shaver then.

The main reason I would go with a guide is if successful I think one of those brutes would be tough to get out of a dark hole by yourself. Of course if you got your own stock...

Josh

Hey MS;

Good job on the tag. I had a tag for the Siskiyou hunt in '93 and have helped people with their tags for the last 18 or so years.

Since you commented and asked........here's a couple of thoughts:

1. The big bulls will weigh 1,200 to 1,400 lbs so you are going to have a real problem packing them to a vehicle by yourself.
2. Your later season will help you with field spoilage, but by the time you get back for the 2nd or 3rd trip, the bears will have found your elk.
3. As I said in no. 1, they're big! Don't stop shooting! Reload and shoot again.
4. You will need help whether its buddies or one of the outfitters.
5. Most areas that hold the elk won't necessarily permit vehilce access. Once you find an area where they are hanging, think about getting one to your rig.
6. There's a reason why they expanded the area and offered more tags, the herds are in great shape!
7. Spend some time out there and find a herd. Keep it quiet and most likely you'll have company during the season.
8. Now you ask, where are they? The most concentration is at the west side of the Marbles. By the time you get there, most of the kayous from the rifle hunters will be gone. Remember the area is roughly 96 to 5 and the Ore border to 36. That's a chunk of country and it all has Rosys in it.

Good Luck

I would tell schmalie to dump his Oregon Tag and guide you himself! or I would listen to his advice because I know how well he knows the area...

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]Yep Schmalie born and raised in Del Norte county but hunted blacktails in that country for 25+ years (ya I know I am getting old). The prison has definitely ruined alot of my hunting and fishing for me deer, ducks and steelhead just aren't what they once were with all the pressure.

I would agree with the work of getting the elk out it is rough in alot of that country and Roosies are big critters so it ain't nothing but work once you kill.

Schmalie glad to help on the OR tag.You picked deer huh? I talk a big line on the antelope but I probably would not have passed an opportunity to hunt mulies in rut. Have you been scouting? How about sleeping? I know I wouldn't get much sleep if I had that tag I would be too busy looking on all the hunting sites trying to get info on that buck of a lifetime! I will let you know if I hear any news and I may be hunting general archery in OR and if I do I will let you know of any worthy deer I don't kill!

I think Mcbroom also packs out for you if you want DIY but need help hauling.

Bill

I drew the rifle tag three years ago and would be happy to share any information with you. I hunted out of Happy Camp and will let you know what trailheads i scouted and hunted from. I shot a 4 x 5 rag horn on opening morning at 630. I spotted the bull the evening before and watched him push around 8 or 9 cows for several hours. The following morning my dad, who has never been on an elk hunt, and two of my best friends packed in about five miles and layed in the dark for a couple of hours listening to him chuckle and several bugles as well as LOTS of cows calling back and forth. It was a GREAT experience to be with my dad and friends. Although he wasnt the biggest bull, the timing was perfect to shoot him with the company i had. It was extremly warm by 10 in the morning (75 degrees), but we were able to bone him out and get him into the Happy Camp store by about 430 that afternoon. Lots and lots of black flies. Make sure you have gamebags. I checked with the outfitters, but couldnt afford it. There are some big bulls in the area. Dates will make your hunt harder, but let me know if you want some more detailed info. I did 5 scouting trips and saw very few elk. When the hunt started the elk were very active with scraps and wallows. Tons of black bears.
Brett

Brett,
I would like to talk to you and get some tips and advice. Please give me a call anytime that is good for you.
Thanks,

Mike 530-223-9103

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom