Marking pin sights

bowelk

I just switched from a 5 pin to a 7 pin spot Hogg and I am worried about being able to identify the correct pin correctly while hunting. I also need to be able to do this somewhat quickly. I wanted to hear if anyone has come up with a good solution to this. I thought of marking every other pin with nail polish but was wondering if there is any other suggestion I haven't thought of.

That is the downside to 7 pins. My sight has different colored pins. You will have to figure some good way to mark them. Nothing worse than being confused during the moment of truth.

Set your pins out in 10 yard increments, starting at 30 yards. Thats how I would do them for my bow, as I have a peep sight for closer stuff.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Bowelk: if all your pins are the same color your in a tough position with that sight. I use a sight with different color pins and even with that and a ton of practice...in the heat of the moment at full draw I need to reference a certain pin the go up or down. Your idea of painting your pin arms with nail Polish seems to me to be your only option. I'm thinking that if you could go to a hobby shop or shop that sells nail and body paints try and find some fluorescent polish or body paint so you can have your best identification of pins in low light conditions. You need the best type marking stuff you can find in various colors like green, red, yellow, orange then alternate colors marking your pin arms.

It's that or you might consider a BlackGold sight and be done with it. :)

Good luck,

))))-------->

I shoot a 7 pin Spot Hogg myself and I simply painted my middle pin (50 yd) pin with white out. I have also used little white stickers with black numbers to reference my 30, 50, and 70 yard pins. The best thing is probably just to shoot a lot so it just comes natural as to which pin is which. Hope this helps.

After 30 years of bowhunting I figured out my average shot was about 40 yards. When I ordered my new sight block with the wrap for the 7dp I had them customize the pins. 20 and 30 are green. 40 is red. 50 and 60 are green. And 70 and 80 are yellow. Its hard to miss the red in the center and make adjustments from there. It works for me! Good Luck. Sliverflipper.

I had the same 7 pin hogg sight. Loved it. I printed off on labels, very small #'s 2-8. Cut them out and put them on with a little dab of glue to help. Worked PERFECT!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom