Max Points

woody622

My dad has max points for Wyoming and is struggling to know where to put in as a NR. He would like to bow/rifle. Any suggestions. Thanks guys!

Ive heard good things about unit 7, probably a better area for the bow thats for sure. I just like to hear everyones opinion on it. We'd also be interested in a back country horse/mule hunt to get after a few big bulls

Well then put in for 7 and start looking for a horseback outfitter if he draws the tag in late February. YOu could also rent the whole works (trailer, horses, and tack)from Wyoming Horses over in Pavillion. That would not be too bad a trip back and forth from Unit 7---just a thought! I did that twice back in the late 90s.

Topgun - Are there many outfitters in 7 that do horseback hunts? I went with a friend a few years ago and I didn't see a whole lot of remote type areas due to all the private. He checked with a few outfitters but all of them just day hunted. I'm somewhat interested in 7 also and with 1 pt. below max I'm fairly close to drawing however I may wait to hunt it with a friend. With him being 2 pts behind the max, I'm guessing that may take too long to wait but I haven't studied the numbers in detail. Just missing 1 year from the max has resulted in quite a wait but not as much as those behind me. I wasn't sure if you were saying you rented horses and packed into 7 or just rented horses and went elsewhere. Any advise is appreciated.
-Former Michigander

Sorry I may have misrepresented that I did the horseback hunts in 7 the way it was written. I did those two trips way up in the northern part of Region M on the west side of the BigHorns and it was almost as far getting the horses and stuff there as it would be over into 7. I really don't have any idea what 7 is like as far as whether horses would be of any benefit other than possibly getting an elk out to a road. Packing the suckers out on your back is a two day affair and very taxing unless you're a young pup, and that I'm not!

Thanks for the clarification on the horses TOPGUN. I'm not too young either but have always backpacked out meat but horses are more appealing the older I get! I was told by others to forget about a horseback hunt in 7 but for packing they'd always be good.

If I had max points I think I would look thru the archives at the south and south central units, pick up a cow tag for this year to get acclimated, then hope a bunch of guys drop down to the regular draw and put my app in the special draw for 2014.

I'm max-1 and still debating on that scenario.

7 is max going in right now, Those who don't draw an
elk permit will soon have 8..Wink ;-)

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom