May 1st opening canceled

They can do it if they need too under an emergency order. They are talking about an emergency closure on areas east of the divide. But have not heard anything about moving the May 1 opener.

They can do it if they need too under an emergency order. They are talking about an emergency closure on areas east of the divide. But have not heard anything about moving the May 1 opener.
How much snow you fellas get in the Riverton area? Last storm ?

Casper got over 30" They had 48" on Casper Mountain. Still snowing many areas. We have stopped here...

I live on the edge of Lander. Just up the canyon there is over 26”…. Riverton got 11” or so. My jeep has 18.5” on its hood.
2CB666FB-A03C-42F9-9FEA-53BE152C16A8.png

This was the snow at 7:00 am this morning and it snowed most of the day.

235A8AAC-4AED-4683-BEF2-A94C14CFB871.jpeg

Pictures are deceiving, however if that’s 18.5 inches of snow around that jeep, I have been lying on the good end my entire life…

Just giving you ****, but we both know 18.5” of snow would be way above a jeeps midline windshield view? Let alone 60” tires on jeep?
Again that was this am at 7:00… I cleaned it off and this evening there was another 6-8” and that ground was already shoveled once…

Read again what I said. That was at 7am. At that point I had already shoveled the drive once. After that pic I cleared the jeep off and shoveled. By late afternoon it had another 6-8" on the jeep. Again that was before it snowed then entire rest of the day...

Read again what I said. That was at 7am. At that point I had already shoveled the drive once. After that pic I cleared the jeep off and shoveled. By late afternoon it had another 6-8" on the jeep. Again that was before it snowed then entire rest of the day...
I read everything you posted. My sister lives in Pavilion. 7”.
My apologies to the Wyominites just don’t make sense in my world. Wind must catch the snow on the RV.
Man, I don’t know if Lander is my spot to move to. ELKS you got my back when I move?

I read everything you posted. My sister lives in Pavilion. 7”.
My apologies to the Wyominites just don’t make sense in my world. Wind must catch the snow on the RV.
Man, I don’t know if Lander is my spot to move to. ELKS you got my back when I move?
340264041_1182217749163586_3045986993515875384_n.jpg

Riverton & nearby areas don’t get nearly the snow & winds of other areas, generally speaking . I checked that out before we moved there in ‘07 from Flagstaff , Az. We moved to Cheyenne & I liked it there overall. Great place overall , wind and snow can be a bit of a problem at times, but not a big deal ! I’m home in most
any area in the Western Areas of U S. Enjoy it all !
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

You guys not from wyoming don't have a fn clue what we're dealing with this winter shut your pie hole and stay in your own state this year
I moved to alaska to get away from the Wyoming winters. If the wind ever starts blowing here I’ll make a fence to block it out with moose racks and sheep horns. ?

Did they end up pushing the May 1st opener back or not? There's still going to be a foot of snow on the ground in most of the areas.

Not that I know and the snow around where I live is all but gone down low some drifts still around. Don't know about over west though

Not that I know and the snow around where I live is all but gone down low some drifts still around. Don't know about over west though
The amount of snow remaining on the winter range in the GR basin is unlike anything I have seen on 30+ years of living in Wyo. Open patches exist in the snow but overall there remains over a foot of snow in most places. Still over the wire mesh on many of the highway fences. Went through the area on Saturday morning.

Just heard them talking about this issue at the commissioner's meeting. Sounds like they'll be recommending to push the date back. But also said they will wait one more week to make the final decision.

Just heard them talking about this issue at the commissioner's meeting. Sounds like they'll be recommending to push the date back. But also said they will wait one more week to make the final decision.
Thanks for the info. Pushing it back is probably the right decision.

If they do push it back, it will be interesting to see how they tell 1,000s of people in a few days to cancel plans and stay home. Not sure how they do that and patrol it with only a few days notice. That would be a total mess.

Thanks for the update but actually UT’s WY ambassador made the decision April 5th. Ambassador Doug ( @slamdunk ) also included deer unit 102 to be open to hunt on a region W tag in 2021.

1CE5D284-6BD8-49FA-ABB3-C3BD8FA66984.jpeg

Man we have had good melt but the animals left look absolutely horrible still. We had a bunch of land here around lander open up, but that does not mean the animals are getting much nutrition yet if at all.

I know saw 3 more antelope and 2 deer lay down and die this past week on my drive to work. Just because the weather broke and the temps are better does not mean that animals are getting better yet. Really concerned about pregnant mother(if any made it with out aborting)... Just really really low body scores across the board on anything that is actually left.

Man we have had good melt but the animals left look absolutely horrible still. We had a bunch of land here around lander open up, but that does not mean the animals are getting much nutrition yet if at all.

I know saw 3 more antelope and 2 deer lay down and die this past week on my drive to work. Just because the weather broke and the temps are better does not mean that animals are getting better yet. Really concerned about pregnant mother(if any made it with out aborting)... Just really really low body scores across the board on anything that is actually left.
Hearing some of the same south of you. It is looking better but they need some nice weather for the next few weeks to avoid further losses.
mm184 on I-80
1681764049140.png

I drove last week from Laramie to Lander, Lander to Farson, Farson to Ogden Utah via Evanston then back across I-80.

Laramie to Lander isn't bad until Beaver Rim, then pretty good once you drop off the Rim. Lander to Farson, really clear to Evanston is pretty grim.

Mountain View/Fort Bridger area I saw some pronghorn and there was less snow for sure. From there East on I-80 was starting to open up. From about Patrick Draw East to Rawlins, its real bad again.

Going to be a mixed bag depending on area, but some are going to be pretty grim.

Looking west across the Green River basin from the toe of the Wind River Range on the east side. Not until you drop off 14-mile hill just north of Rock Springs does it open up.

20230415_102433[1].jpg

Looking towards Big Piney, northeast of town.
20230415_112532[1].jpg

Last edited:
It has been crazy. We got like 2 days really warm and wind that ole ed is up but like
I said the animals are in horrible
Shape. I did see 3 different guys in ATVs out looking for sheds when we went fishing this weekend…

Thanks for those Western side updates. Not sounding very good at all in some areas.
Been hearing some folks talk of not hunting in any areas, even if they are not affected by winterkill.
Not sure on how I feel about that.

Been watching some mule deer doe groups that look fine around here, good fawn survival so far. Makes me feel a little guilty.
Pronghorn looking good too.
Range is greening up and lots of groundwater and hopefully good soil moisture for a while.

Hoping you all having it rough get a break, the wildlife especially.

Not gonna slow people down , seen 3 trucks leaving the road I’ve been trying to get opened up this morning at around 8 am , seen some horns in the back of one Toyota, I know he couldn’t get a truck to the other side of the divide, then a truck from Evanston went in with a wheeler in the back , when I got out to where he was parked he was headed back towards his pickup, when I came out this afternoon his truck still there so he must be out there bouncing across the Sage on 4 wheels. FFS I have a dozer out there high centered at the moment lol hopefully some better solid ground in the AM !! ?

Not gonna slow people down , seen 3 trucks leaving the road I’ve been trying to get opened up this morning at around 8 am , seen some horns in the back of one Toyota, I know he couldn’t get a truck to the other side of the divide, then a truck from Evanston went in with a wheeler in the back , when I got out to where he was parked he was headed back towards his pickup, when I came out this afternoon his truck still there so he must be out there bouncing across the Sage on 4 wheels. FFS I have a dozer out there high centered at the moment lol hopefully some better solid ground in the AM !! ?
I was always against shed seasons, but I can’t understand how anyone call themselves a conservationist, and claim to care about the resource when they can’t wait just a couple weeks…

The truck I saw, had 3 ATVs out. 2 of them were locals I recognized, I am assuming the 3rd was a buddy joining them. I have no doubt they were driving all over the range…

Like @Bookhead said it's opened up real nice around Central Wyoming to the foot of the mountains. I'm still seeing drifts and blown in draws with more snow than I can ever remember.

I went looking for a gobbler today (season is open here) and drove by a dozen or so deer. As usual for this time of year, they looked up at me and then just kept nibbling on the sumac and could have cared less I was there. It was a mix of bucks and does with a couple fawns. About four of them looked very rough, but acted normal. I think we dodged a big bullet around Casper.

Like @Bookhead said it's opened up real nice around Central Wyoming to the foot of the mountains. I'm still seeing drifts and blown in draws with more snow than I can ever remember.

I went looking for a gobbler today (season is open here) and drove by a dozen or so deer. As usual for this time of year, they looked up at me and then just kept nibbling on the sumac and could have cared less I was there. It was a mix of bucks and does with a couple fawns. About four of them looked very rough, but acted normal. I think we dodged a big bullet around Casper.
That is good news. We went to Casper last week and the further that way we got from Lander the better it got for both Deer and lopes…

Called two WY offices and chatted with a couple people. Both mentioned the topic of pushing the date back was being discussed today and tomorrow and they both expected a plan to be announced within the week.

Considering I woke up to fresh snow today..i can't see how they won't push it back till the 15th or so... if they allow 1000+ people to run the refuge in less than 2 weeks, they will kill a lot of animals from stress. The valley floors are still loaded with snow and the elk refuges are still full of elk... which i have never seen this late into spring

Saw a truck with a snowmobile trailer on Bar X over a week ago. The road hadn't even been plowed, but there was 2 county trucks there, so I assume they were trying to doze the road. The snow was still 2' at that time. I don't know what else they would have been doing out there besides shed hunting. IMO, if you need a sled to go shed hunting, maybe you should reconsider for a couple weeks..

Saw a truck with a snowmobile trailer on Bar X over a week ago. The road hadn't even been plowed, but there was 2 county trucks there, so I assume they were trying to doze the road. The snow was still 2' at that time. I don't know what else they would have been doing out there besides shed hunting. IMO, if you need a sled to go shed hunting, maybe you should reconsider for a couple weeks..
Can’t be for sure, but the lease operators have been using snow machines to access well sites most of the winter.

Yes the lease operators have been using snow machines but also talked to a friend that said some guys he knows took snowmobiles out there to look for horns , said the usual big herds not out there seen a few but not the usual amount so they must have moved to lesser snow areas!! And yes a lot of the county roads are F’d up , from snow, mud and some are even starting to wash out from flooding , all good times ?

Yes the lease operators have been using snow machines but also talked to a friend that said some guys he knows took snowmobiles out there to look for horns , said the usual big herds not out there seen a few but not the usual amount so they must have moved to lesser snow areas!! And yes a lot of the county roads are F’d up , from snow, mud and some are even starting to wash out from flooding , all good times ?
Absolutely. I’ve had a truck marooned on a location on Kinney Rim for ten days now. And it’s raining/snowing again. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom