McMillan stock opinions needed

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Okay - I posted a recent post about a stock and have made my decsion. I'm going with a McMillan. I've got 3 different options I'm looking at here, which would you choose?

a. marble finish with olive, grey, and black with more grey and black than olive

b. marble finish with black, grey, and a tad bit of light grey

c. regular black finish

The marble and camo in the stock finishes are ok but a lot of folks don't like them. I have a few guns with them and a few painted. the painted guns people like, the camo they think is ugly. It's in the eye of the beholder. They both will hold up very well and you can take a felt pen to cover up a scratch on a painted stock and the colors in the gel coat on a camo stock. You're getting one of the finest stocks made on a rifle but I'm a little partial to them. If you have a standard countour barrel on what you're dropping in them they usually fit very well. Many guys don't even bed them and they still improve their groups. If you want the utmost in accuracy bed the stock. They can do it there for you if you don't have a gunsmith and they'll do a 1st class job on it. They stand behind their product and in today's world that says a lot.

In my experience, you have to bed McMillans, because their inletting leads a lot to be desired. Good luck with yours, I have sworn off of them. Nothing like waiting 6 months for something may or may not be what you ordered!

I haven't heard of that happening to too many people with McMillans product. But based on all the actions out there today and the fact you have standard and magnum and other contours etc if in doubt send them your action and I'm sure it'll get done right. No company is infallable, especially when you're cutting a stock out blind but I've never seen them not correct anything as long as they were given the correct information initially and even then they tried to make it right.

Just placed my order for the McMillan Edge in black finish with a 1" recoil pad. Now the wait begins - they said expect 4 to 5 months wait time. Oh well, that's a small amount of time in the big scheme of things considering how long we all keep our rifles. Lot's of people I talked with said to just get the HS Precision so I don't have to worry about the wait. Personally, I'd rather wait 4 months and get the best than be impatient to get the stock 4 months quicker only to have a "good" stock.

Yeah, I was afraid to order the marble swirl, wait my 5 months and pay the money, and then not like it. Thia way it'll be pretty standard.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom