Minimum age for child

dieseldog

I have a buddy who wants to bring his boy to MT and hunt deer this fall. The kid will turn 13 in July is he old enough to be able to apply for a deer a tag? By looking at the regulation book it appears to me he is but then it says something also about a two day youth deer b hunt in Oct or something. Thanks for your time.

He is old enough to hunt. It is age 12 in Montana. Youth get a two day head start vs. the rest of us. If he draws he can start the Thursday before the regular opener. He will have to show proof of taking hunters safety.

Nemont

I talked to FWP last year and they clarified it a little bit for me and my 13 yr old son. The 2 day youth season is essentially a head start for the kids, but it does not apply to tags that were drawn for a limited entry area. For example if the kid draws a general Non-Resident tag he can hunt the 2 day youth hunt in all general hunting areas. If he draws a permit for an area that requires a permit then he can't start hunting that area until the regular start day, 2 days after the youth hunt. Basically it doesn't give them the opportunity to get out there in the trophy units and blast all the big ones before the non-youth hunters do. If you have any questions call the FWP office and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Just to add to what they already said.. The youth hunt only applies to deer. They are not able to hunt elk during the 2 day youth season. It is a good opportunity for the youth to hunt and for you to work with them without a lot of other hunters around. I took my daugther last year, we only saw antelope that day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom