Monroe Archery Elk Questions

H

Hooner

Looking to talk to someone that has hunted the Monroe archery elk hunt in the last two years. I am looking at possible putting in and I have the points to pull the tag. I am not really looking for areas to hunt. I am more interested in the type of hunt that you had and the type of bulls that you had opportunities on? Please PM me. Thanks in advance for any help.

I had a friend scouting for the rifle hunt during the archery season last year and he was in screaming bulls lots of times while I was getting nothing on a unit further south. The Monroe is managed for bigger bulls if I remember correctly so a 330-350 bull isn't out of the question. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't personally been on the unit recently. Hopefully you get better help from a few others on here. Good luck!

www.biggamedrawodds.com

CAelknuts hunted that unit in 2008 or 2009 and if you do a search and go back into the archives you can read his daily posts as he hunts the unit. It is a Classic for MM followers. You might also PM him with your question. He knows all about it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-13 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]Thanks everyone for the info. I did read CAELKNUTS posts but I am afraid a lot has changed since he hunted it. They increased the tag numbers after he hunted it and it wasn't until the last couple of years that they lowered the tag numbers to manage for a older age class bull.

Foxskinner how did your buddy do on the rifle hunt?

Again I appreciate everyones help.

>I had a friend scouting for
>the rifle hunt during the
>archery season last year and
>he was in screaming bulls
>lots of times while I
>was getting nothing on a
>unit further south. The Monroe
>is managed for bigger bulls
>if I remember correctly so
>a 330-350 bull isn't out
>of the question. Correct me
>if I am wrong but
>I haven't personally been on
>the unit recently. Hopefully you
>get better help from a
>few others on here. Good
>luck!
>
>
>www.biggamedrawodds.com

I hunted it in 07, muzzy in 08, muzzy in 09, and another archery in 11.
The Monroe archery hunt is a BLAST! The elk seem to be very vocal on the unit. I spend a lot of time there ever year. The unit isn't quite what it used to be but there are still some giants. Both archery hunts I've been on there were multiple shot opportunities on 320-350 bulls. You can find the bigger bulls but they are tough to get to.
Bottom line is Monroe is one of the most fun archery units in the state! I can't wait for another archery tag there!

Traditional >>>------->

Monroes tags have been cut for 2 years. The units looking good.
340-360 is a good goal with a few larger taken.
2013 will be strong for 360-375 on the upper end.
You wont be disappointed.
www.hightopoutfitters.com

My son had the NR archery tag in '11. Awesome hunt. Shot the biggest we saw. 357". Never saw another elk hunter and only one deer hunter.

Thanks for everyone's input. We are getting excited to see the draw results. I am hoping for a couple of chances at 350+ bulls. It sounds like that is a realistic goal.

I was disappointed to see that they're only giving one non-resident archery tag this year. I put my son in for Monroe archery this year, and if he can beat those long odds and draw, we'll have a heck of a fun hunt together. Good luck to whoever draws the tag.

I drew in 09 and had an awesome time. Was short on time with a baby at home but ended up killing a low 320's bull. Was in bulls every day and had some close calls with a couple 340+. One of the most fun tags I've ever had. Sure would love to draw again some day.

The Monroe is a fun unit to hunt and has some good bulls. Get in and scout hard to find signs of past rutting areas. The bulls you find will not be in the same area for the hunt. Go where others don't go and hunt hard. We located several bulls 370 and larger last year, get a good elk caller to go with you.

Just checked my CC and it looks like we drew the Monroe Archery tag. For all of you that posted I would love to chat and go over some areas that you would scout. Any advice would be appreciated.

>Just checked my CC and it
>looks like we drew the
>Monroe Archery tag. For all
>of you that posted I
>would love to chat and
>go over some areas that
>you would scout. Any advice
>would be appreciated.

So never heard for sure, did you draw the tag? and if so how did you do??

I was just reading some of the post so I am curious on how your hunt went? I spend months on that range every year for about the last 6 years. I would like to know how you felt about your hunt and your success.

There is a proposal in the RAC's to end the rifle hunt for spike elk on the Monroe. This should certainly help with increasing bull numbers and eventually more larger bulls in a few years.

I wouldn't mind to see that. I did see a number of good bulls this year but nothing huge. I never even heard of any real big bulls being killed on this unit. Did anyone else?

Monroe today is certainly NOT what it was 3-5+ years ago....

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom