Monroe Archery Elk

Mulieking12

I'm going to be hunting archery elk on Monroe this fall and was wondering if any of you have spent some time on the mountain. Just trying to get some internet scouting done while the snow is on the ground. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Do you know the area well? What part were you thinking of focusing on? Give a few more details, maybe we could help after that.

Traditional >>>------->

I drew a muzzle loader tag last year, and checked out a pretty good pile of bulls on that mountain. There are a bunch of guys on here that will kick in some info. When you get your tag, post up asking for info, and I'll try to be the first to volunteer everything I learned. Good luck on the draw.

You got the tag already.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Yep, I was the lucky winner of the Expo tag. Can't wait to chase the big stinky's around this fall. Nothin better than hunting rutting elk with a bow.

Congrats on the tag. I hope you're ready to put in a lot of work. You'll have to go into this hunt with an "I'll never give up" attitude. Although Monroe is a great unit, archery is a long and tough hunt, and the quality of bulls has dropped significantly since the spider bull caused all the publicity. You'll be lucky to hear a bull bugle during the archery hunt. The bulls are in the "pre-rut", which means they are still in loose bachelor herds, but they're starting to feel the rise in testosterone, so they'll be cleaning off the velvet, sparring a little, rubbing trees, wallowing to cool off, and checking out the ladies. But the cows aren't receptive yet, so they usually just move off and leave the bulls behind. It's frustrating for the bulls, and it will be frustrating for you too because they'll be moving around so much. They'll be here today, and gone tomorrow, so go after them when they are there. I'll PM you some coordinates of places to watch for bulls to show up, but you'll have to do the leg work and be there when they are.

Lucky !!! You should have a good time on that unit. Start studying your maps and learning the roads. Come may you can start driving them. :)

You'll have a blast! I had that tag last year--only I had to put in for 12 years before I drew it! I've spent a lot of time on that mountain and scouting was a little tuff last summer because the elk weren't in the same places I was used to finding them in so you better plan on scouting every chance you get. The first couple of weeks is really tuff, but gets really fun as soon as they start getting vocal so don't get discouraged like I did! My dad should draw the muzzy tag this year so I will be up there a lot this summer scouting again.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-11 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]Don't rule out the the north end..You can get away from the crowds. Dleonard must have had ear plugs in cuz they were making plenty of noise last year, they were just in different places than they usually are at that time.

Traditional >>>------->

I spent 12 days with my brother-in-law 2 years ago on the archery hunt. It was alot tougher hunt than I thought it would be. I had spent alot of time there on rifle and muzzleloader hunts and didn't think the archery would be that much tougher, boy was I wrong. I would plan to hunt the last 7-10 days of the archery hunt if time was limited, with the last 4 being the best. With the hotter weather they were in the trees 10 minutes after light and didn't come out until after dark. We had them bugling all night long and the closer it got to light they would shut up and move off. Try to get in front of them as they move out of the meadows and into the trees. Also as it gets closer to the rut they will move out of the pines and into the quakies a little more, good luck.

Find a good wallow and set up from dawn till dusk. Sept 1-Sept 9.
Then hunt bugling elk after that.

You will do fine.

+1. Hunt the first part of the hunt over a wallow to ambush the bulls. Once they start heating up, spend the last 7-10 days of the hunt chasing the hot bulls. Don't get discouraged and be prepared to spend a good 20 days hunting. There will be many highs and lows, which is what makes archery hunting so much fun.

Spent between 30 and 40 days just hunting down there over the last two years on the Archery hunt...some of the best 30 or 40 days in my life:)! Another 20 or so scouting as well...

There are a ton of elk and they get vocal that last week for sure, the problem we had was getting past all of the 5 points that came running in to try and get a shot on the bigger bulls.

We did see a couple of real nice bulls but I agree there are not as many of the giants as there once were.

I would love to come and spend a month down there helping you but am pretty sure I will be hunting more North this year...time for my dad to finally draw his tag!

When it gets closer PM me and I will let you know what I know...you are going to have a blast!

?The bugle of the bull elk echo?s through the pines, the north wind moans her lonesome lullaby, he hungers for the freedom of an eagle as she flies?somewhere beyond the great divide?

CAelknuts had a very classy post of his hunt a few years ago. He came home empty but it sounds like he had a blast. You might PM him for info. I am sure he would help.
Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]mulieking12. Everyone's advice is rght on the money.

I live on the Monroe. My suggestion would be that you wait until June 15th and the roads will be open on the north end. If your interested, between June 15 and July 1st I'll spend a day with you and show you where the elk hang out on the north end. I would bring your cameras.

There is very little you can learn about where the elk are during the archery hunt until the snow is gone, unless you just want to chat with the folks that live at the bottom of the hill, save your money until we can get you on top.

There are a lot of good areas on the south end too but I know the north a little better, so that's were I can be of some assistance.

DC

Monroe bulls, to tide you over.
5547monroebulls.jpg

5124monroe_elk2008.jpg

You can count on the hunt of your life if you go into the hunt with the right attitude. When I drew my tag I spent the first week going crazy trying to find the bulls I had been watching for months, with no success. I practically made myself sick from putting the pressure on myself! I finally told myself to just enjoy each day as it happened and then it really became very enjoyable. I hunted with that attitude for the rest of my hunt and would have been very satisfied even if I would have ate tag soup! I finally shot my bull the last few minutes of light on the final night. As everyone has said the last week is definately the best as the bulls are usually starting to get hot and can be called by then. Definately take 2lumpy up on a ride. Seeing the area with a local if you are new to a unit is a big plus. I can give you few tips if you like also..
Don't let the pressure eat you up...just go and enjoy!

One of the most enjoyable hunts I've ever been on. If a true monster is your goal, you may be somewhat dissapointed. But if a 300-350 bull (with a 320-330 very doable) will make you happy, you've got the right hunt.

That's a very nice trail cam pick, thanks. It's going to be a long 5 month's waiting for the hunt. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get up on the mountain.

I had the tag in 2004... I scouted it 3 times from the end of june to 1st of August......the scouting wasnt that helpful but I did get to know the roads and where they went...come time to hunt I spent Sept 3rd to the 17th ....what a hunt .... a hunt I will never forget.....The elk bugled the whole time but more the last week.....I had chances at a 370 bull but missed along with some other opportunities....finaly took a 300 bull 2nd to the last day.....it was a great time....the only down fall was that I wont get that chance again in the Utah LE draw unles Im very lucky.

Haven't you heard? They cancelled summer this year. I think its just gonna go from winter to winter..I'm so sick of snow #@$%%^^$....

Tninking there will be alot of feed on the mountains this fall.
Hope they grow so huge racks.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have a cabin on the north end of the unit-- Cove Mt area. We don't see as many elk as we used to but there are still alot around. Seen a 360ish bull last year in the meadow by the cabin and several 320 type bulls. If it stays cold and wet like it did last year into late spring, it may be that the bulls stay lower on the mountain. Any way you look at it you should have a great time. I do know of a couple hidden water holes that the elk frequent often during the summer and are not bothered much by anyone except maybe us a couple times during the summer. I love being up there when they are rutting and just sitting on the deck listening to the music.

Congrats on the tag ,I also drew out for archery monroe elk and can't wait to finally just get a chance at a big bull. good luck and have fun. See ya down there probly

Kurt

I to got hit for my archery elk tag for Monroe. I have spent 12 years hunting with family and friend who have drawn tags and have had good success there. Feel free to send me a pm and would look forward to seeing a fellow member on the mountain.

Sounds like we could have a MM camp on the mountain this year. I also drew a Monroe archery elk tag. Since there were only 12 issued in the drawing, we have quite a percentage of the tags. Looking forward to the hunt!

Bill

My family has a cabin ontop of Monroe. Right bt the peak. There is still 10 plus feet of snow as of 2 weeks ago. Its been snowing ever since. Probably the sMs or more right now. It will be an interesting few weeks and months to see what happens.

Sounds like a bunch of MM's did draw.
If you get tired of eating your own cooking, I know a guy who delivers pizza to that unit, and looks like he is free that time of year...lol.. At least after the 25th of August. The wife has made Hawaii arrangement for the first week...

I finally got some time to spend a few days on the mountain scouting for elk. I haven't found any bulls yet but had a blast down there with my 10 year old daughter. She got a kick out of the calves that we saw wearing their spotted outfitts. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some photo's of some bulls to share with the MM community.

I was down on the mountain and there was definitely no shortage of cows and caves. I was able to turn up some bulls but not as many as I usually see on top for this time of year. They are taking it slow moving up. But I did see that they started to move moo cows up so that might hurry them up before all the good grass is gone. Sounds like you had a good time and best of luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom