Monster Colorado Deadhead

Q

quercus1955

After two of searching for this bull with my hunting partner Mike, I found him dead on 11 Aug 2011. He has been dead for at least 16 months. I know this based on game camera pictures taken in Aug of 2009. His antlers on the pictures match the antlers he died with. I fiqure he died of old age during the winter of 2009/2010. His teeth were in really bad shape. His B&C score came out to 405 1/8 net non typical and 416 1/8 gross non typical. You may have seen a previous picture of his sheds posted by Mike in the fall of 2009. His 2008/2009 sheds scored out at 410 3/8 net non typical and 422 5/8 gross non-typical. They a presently on tour with the RMEF's "Great Elk Tour". Who says Colorado doesn't grow 400 inch bulls? This great bull lived and died in an over-the counter area on the front range. I just wanted to honor this bull by posting it for you all to see. Good luck in the field.
351100_0441.jpg

7190100_0442.jpg

4217100_0443.jpg

4298100_0444.jpg

Thats a hell of a bull. Thanks for posting the photos. I'm guessing you are going to have him mounted,I know I would. Great Trophy and a true old warrior. Later Baker

Wow, what a tank. 16 months though, and still have hair on the skull, and that dark of horns?

>Wow, what a tank. 16 months
>though, and still have hair
>on the skull, and that
>dark of horns?

I wonder too. But "on the front range" says it all. There is so much private land that isn't accessible and the spots of public or BLM land in a lot of places can only be accessed through private too. So yea, animals on the front range can live their whole lives in little secluded pockets where nobody bothers them. And most front range property owners don't take kindly to hunters either. Thing's a horse though

Hell of a find!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks for posting and thanks also for the many different camera angles. They show what a magnificent animal that was.

Before you die.....Take time to live

What an amazing find! A lot of people don't believe what the front range can offer but if you check the record books, most of the biggest bulls that do book come from the front range of CO. That one right there was an amazing elk for sure. Nice work finding him.

After two years hunting/looking for this bull Mike and I will definitely get him mounted. Once he is mounted the deadhead will hang in Mike's house while I display the shed mount in my house. As far as the condition of the skull. The drainage where we found the bull was very narrow blocking out the sunlight most of the day. He was also tucked up under some cedar trees. We were surprised by the condition also. Their is no doubt that the antlers from the game camera in August 2009 are the same antlers he died with. Thanks for the comments.

8557king_06.jpg

7961king_05.jpg

Wow what a find! Congrats on being rewarded for your efforts during the long search. That 2nd is very neat.

That's a great find, Glad you found them so they can be enjoyed by many of the big elk hunters on this site.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom