Montana 300 or 501 sheep units

T

toddrice

Has anyone hunted either of the unlimited sheep units 300 or 501 in Montana?

Yep... Do a serch this has been covered a couple of times. I will say this your odds of killing a ram in an unlimited area are about like drawing a tag for a limited area. There is some rams killed but only a couple some years none are taken. And most of those are taken by the guides that outfit there full time. They get a LOT of money for those hunts so they put the time in to find them then they sit and wait for the season to open.

On the up side you can get a sheep tag every year untill you kill one! I'm about sick of waiting for a tag too, one of these years I may do it again... At least you'll be hunting sheep! Check the MT F&G web site they have harvest stats for most regions for the last few years. You can also call them and have them send you the stats for the last ?years (I don't remember how many years of data it was, I think the last 10)

I would tell you to just put in for the "prefrence point" but as far as I'm concerned they are just about a waist of money. The system puts your name in the draw one additional time for each prefrence point. So that means... Some areas that used to have 500 aplicants each year after 5 tags now has the same 500 with their name in 4 times for the same 5 tags so your chance for drawing with max points is the same as it was when they didn't have the program.... But your odds got drastically worse if you don't have the max...

Good luck
Ivan

ya I've hunted 501, small rams and they are hard to find! The guys that usually shoot them are the locals who keep tabs on them all summer long. My buddy hunted them two years ago and took horses in for two weeks and nver saw a sheep. Go with the preference points, that way if you do draw you have the hunt of a lifetime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom