Montana or Davis Wall Tent?

Tupenator

Ok guys, I have spent the last 2 months researching on the internet and have spent many days in here reading post about Wall Tents. After a while, you begin to think you know what you are looking for and then you read the next post and everything is changed. I need help!

I think I have this narrowed down between a Montana Canvas and Davis Wall Tents. I'm looking for a 14x20 or 16x20 and obviously something that is going to last. Weight is not an issue here. Is 10oz treated better than 12oz treated? And what about the different types of Canvas (ArmyDuck / Double Fill...)

I'm also looking to purchase a wood stove. I've spoke to one dealer that said the 5-Dog stove was the best because of the internal design. I see a lot of you use and like the Cyinder Stoves. Any feedback on stoves?

Any tips on purchasing an Agle Kit?

I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you could give me/us your honest opinions (and we know what opinions are like :) j/k!) as to which one would you purchase and why? Any Customer Service experiences that you have had as well.

And if anyone from either Montana Canvas or Davis is reading this, I'm going to be buying 2 of everything. So if you got a deal, contact me.

Thanks everyone!!!!
- Rich

I have the Davis 14x17 with the 7' awning. Its awesome!
I also have the cylinder stove. I have heard good things about the Montana product, so I doubt you could go wrong with either.
The boys at Davis are great to talk to and stand behind their product. I have the mildew treated 10 oz. It will last a lifetime if you take care of it. I bought the angle kit and built the frame. It was easy and saved me a few bucks.

I researched tents for quite some time and then one year I saw a Davis Tent at the RMEF in Reno, it was impressive. The following year I purchased a 10x12 version for hunting and it's worked out quite well. Two years ago we had them make us a 16x20 with 6' walls and a custom door to use at shows. Their product is top notch and I'd highly recommend them.

I have a Davis 14X16 and its great. I had them install screens and doors on both ends. Got the awning along with the cylinder stove package. I highly recommend you call them and talk with them before you buy from anyone. They are very helpful and can answer anything you want.

I looked for a year while I saved and am very happy with my Davis. Its been in the mountains for elk and here in Illinois for deer. Have used it in all kinds of weather and its a great tent.

Don

Thanks for the help guys! I called and spoke to both Montana and Davis. After speaking to Rick at Davis tents for about 30 minutes, I feel I made the right choice. His knowledge of tents to stoves was remarkable. Between their committment to customer service and the good replys from each of you (and others I spoke too), I ordered (2) 16x20 tents complete with stove packages. They should be arriving any day now.

Anyone thinking of purchasing a wall tent/stove needs to call and speak to the guys at Davis Tent.

- Rich

I agree they are very helpful. I bought a 14x16 last year excellent tent no complaints. This spring we had a nasty storm rain coming down in sheets the canvas never leaked I give them an A+.

Hello Rich, I see a lot of discussion about the Davis tents and have to come to the defense of the Montana Canvas Co.I also did some research on wall tents and have recently made a purchase.I went with a 12x17 tent with a 12x12 cookshack that abuts the tent.My tent was customized with a window on the back wall and two side walls with a mesh door as well as a canvas door with a storm flap and a sod cloth all the way around the bottom. The cookshack was made with a window on each side and also a mesh door as well as a canvas door with the storm flap.I have run the full gammut with tents in my hunting career and I have to say this is an exceptional set-up.I am not sure that Davis tents makes the cookshack but after using ours I do not feel that it is an option but a necessity.Montana Canvas has a vast array of accessories also and really puts out a great product.If you are thinking of a sewn in floor for your tent it is also available,but I would not recommend it.They are far easier to set up without the floor and you can buy indoor/outdoor carpet much cheaper and will have the same effect.I made my own internal frame out of 1 1/4" emt that slides over 1" square tubing welded togather to form all my fittings.I drilled the pipe and the fittings to accomodate a 3/8" bolt with a wingnut at each joint.This has been an extremely sturdy system and the cost is less than half to buy the internal frames and fittings.I can tell you this-Buy exactly what you want.Spend a little more to customize your set-up the way you want because it will last you a life time.Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Jim

We got a Montana 16 x 20 last year. It looked like it was sewn by a drunk indian. (no offense to drunk indians, they just shouldn't be sewing tents.) I made the frame using emt and their " angle kit". It was a really tight fit. We had to drive to the nearest town to buy a hacksaw to shorten some of the conduit. I could not get the guy at Montana Canvas to give me a list of dimensions. I called several times.They also couldn't even tell me the angle of their brackets. .Once the frame was shortened it was fine. We also got a "Three Dog" stove that worked great. Good luck and happy hunting.

We have three MT Canvas from Cabelas and have had no problems. Two 14x17 and a 10x12. Actually cheaper then from MT Canvas themselves. We purchased the two large tents about 10 years apart and they have slightly different dimensions. Could have used the same frame dimensions, but opted for a custom fit on all tents. We use the Kwik Kamp joint kit with our own conduit. Simply measure the tent cut the conduit then test fit it before you go hunting. I would think setting up a new tent before going hunting would be obvious. We use the Kwik Kamp and Cylinder stoves with both being just fine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom