Montana Point question???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I haven't hunted Montana since they went to Points so I don't know how they work. I'll tell you what I know and please correct me if I'm wrong.

You apply and if unsuccessful, you get a point for the general draw the next year AND a point for the special draw also??

No Point only option??

Are point the same if you apply Big game combo or elk combo?? Can you switch from year to year and use your point/points??

How long do you keep points without reapplying?? I got a point the very first year and never re-applied.

Call 406 444-2535. The only expert at this would be another non-resident or (God willing) Montana FWP themselves. I've asked questions about regs and points and been more confused after talking to someone at the office. You'll get all sorts of unofficial answers asking questions on a website. I had a heated discussion with a nice lady at the office when she was trying to tell me something that was incorrect. So good luck.

Non Residents apply for a general deer combo, elk combo, or big game combo license. Money up front. Deadline is today. If you don't draw you get one point to use towards the following year(s) general draw, which is always in mid-march.

If you are successful, you are then eligible to apply for a elk or deer permit, depending on what type of "license" you drew in the drawing whose deadline was mid-march (i.e., you can apply for a deer permit only if you drew a deer combo license). The deadline on the special "permit" drawing is June 1. If unsuccessful for a special permit, you then have a bonus point for the following year(s) drawing for a "permit" of that species.

Basically, its a two-step process: (1) apply for a license in mid-march, and if successful, (2) apply for a permit first of June.

Clear as mud.

Got it!!!! Thanks guys!! I misunderstood the special draw points and shouldn't have cause my thinking was so screwed up, I am embarressed to tell on myself.

one other thing is that you do lose your points after two or three years (cant remember which)of not applying and it is "species specific"

I got a general point for Elk a few years ago and sat on it till I was read to go to Montana.

I assumed I didnt have to worry about losing it because I apply for sheep every year...wrong...I lost my elk point. you need to keep applying for ELK to keep your elk point in Montana.

Perhaps I can expans a bit on what eagle_eye stated. If you apply for and draw a general season license, you get a kill tag and can hunt the general season. If you only wish to hunt the general season, you don't need to apply for anything else.

In some units, 680 for example, the elk hunts are by draw only. So, if you drew the general season elk license and want to hunt elk in 680, you have to apply in the special permit drawing for that particular tag.

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

And if unsucessful, you get a point in the Special draw for the next time you draw the general and apply for the Special, right?

Slow but I think I'm catching on.

You're right slayer. Our "bonus point" system is stupid. Or maybe I am. I buy em every year, but for me it's 2 bucks. Still stupid. mtmuley

If you are unsucessful on the first draw and applied for the bonus pt and sent in the xtra 20.00 you get a bonus pt. You then cannot apply for the special draw but can purchase a special bonus app point for each species in june by filling out the form and sending in more money to cover these points. Oh!! if you did draw on the first app they dont give you a bonus point but they still keep the 20.00 you sent in. Who say's they can't have their cake and eat it too.

If you look at the draw odds for the sheep, goat, etc., they make almost no difference. Maybe increase from .2% to .4% for the primo hunts. Wish they would square them like Nevada. At least then I'd feel like I might draw by age 70 instead of 90.

My problem with Montana is they don't have a points only option.

Montana is a 2 1/2 week Sept hunt if I draw. Kool if I don't but then I have to keep applying or I lose my point/points. I can't just apply one year when I'm free in Sept but what about the next year when I know I'll draw archery elk in Colorado? I can't plan prime time elk rut out 3 years, I might miss 2 or 3 years and thats not an option.

This may be unpopular but I hope they figure out a way to incorporate this although it will come with an additional price tag of course.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom