Montana Sheep & Goat

Wyo

Are there any NR's out there that have applied for sheep, moose, or goat in montana and still have a copy of the 2007 Montana Nonresident Moose, Sheep, & Goat Application? On the back it lists the areas where nonresidents can apply, but my concern is that it says "Based on the tentative quotas, nonresidents can apply in the following hunting districts. However, final quotas set in June may change this." I don't want to put in for an area and have the FWP decide not to give an NR tag for that area after the fact. I just wanted to compare 2007's areas to those actually drawn to see if this happens. I called MT FWP and was told this typically doesn't happen, but they did not have any more 2007 applications available and it was no longer online. Thanks in advance for the help.

Why would it matter? Montanas quotas are "UP TO 10%" meaning that they may not even give one NR tag for the units listed.

The odds of drawing the tag are so slim anyway, its not like them cutting a ram tag or two is going to dramatically increase your chances. So you went from 0.005 percent to 0.003...

My main concern is putting in for an area when the application says there will be a NR tag for that area and then in June they decide not to have a NR tag for that area after all. Though the odds aren't great, I don't want to waste my time and money putting in for an area with 0% chance of drawing. It seems with the goat tags there are several areas that they list a quota for and then the 273 people that applied for them had 0% chance of drawing. I've kinda wondered why on the drawing statistics it will show a quota for NR's, the number of NR's that put in and then the number successful (0 in this case). In 2007 9 areas listed quotas and no one was successful for those units, one even had 82 applicants! I'm not sure if Im right on this because I don't know for sure which areas they listed on the application that were supposed to have quotas. I guess I'll probably just have to put in for an area that seems to always have a NR tag even though the odds are much worse than the areas I'd like to put in for.

Use the hunts listed in the 2008 NR application form. I have never seen them change a unit. The odds of them changing are even worse than your odds of drawing. Its all about hope and faith.

They change the units every year for what non-res can apply for.

Some units are available yearly but many rotate out..in...

All the info you are so concerned about????????

Can be found in the Draw Stats link on the Montana site...

You can only apply to draw for the units listed on the back of your 2008 application as you already know.

Robb

MT does not set aside a quota of tags for NR. All the applicants for a unit are in the same bucket, both resident and non-resident. If the applicants drawn are all residents, then you will see in the draw stats that 0 non-residents drew.

The "up to 10%" of the tags applies to a district, not to a unit. If the 10% has been filled by non-residents drawing in other units in the same district when your name is pulled, you will not draw a tag.

Depending on who you talk to in the FWP office, you may get a different answer on the set aside. But this is my understanding on how it works.

Thanks for the help fellas, yesterday after some more research and thinking how they could possibly do the draw I figured it out. My theory was just what Desert explained. I wish MT would just explain it a little better in the regulations.

My understanding is that the 10% comes out of the hunt series, ie 10% of the 100 series, 200 series and so on. Your right the particular unit you pick may not have a tag, but hte one noted are in the running. In Idaho I believe it is the same way the computer picks the unit a NR tag will be alotted then will pick a NR Hunter. JB

In Idaho it's actually about the opposite. The computer picks out the hunters (in order of their randomly assigned number) and looks to see if there is a tag available in their hunt choice. The first 6 NRs picked (with different hunt choices) "determine" which hunts have a NR hunter.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

I found that not a single hunt, moose, mnt goat or sheep issued more then 10% of tags to NR (except maybe ewes did not check) basically it seems to me like MT is also restricting NR to 10% of tags by hunt. The exception is 1 NR tag begin issued.

I do not know this but the chances that NR could draw more then one tag but never ever did (except where 10% is more then 1 tag) are unlikely.

I am curious about this. There were many hunts issuing 10-30 tags NR never drew over 10% in 2007.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom