Montana Super Tag Chance

xbow

Just wondering if anyone has bought any of these chances and if you know if you just win the tag or you win an oppertunity to purchase the tag.

I found out about them on the montana (DOW) page. You do have to buy some 13 dollar permit just to have an oppertunity to buy them and then it's $5 per chance and you can buy as many as you want.

I just want to find out if I still have to buy the tag so I can decide how many chances to buy.

If it's $5 for NR and Residents then I'm betting NR will draw 4 out of the 5 tags at least. The odds are against the po folk. Hopefully I missed reading where NR pay more.

NR's must purchase a $12 Conservation license first. Dollars go to a great program and hell, I might get lucky and draw the tag of a lifetime. I don't see this as a NR vs R for the tag, it is about supporting hunting access in MT and I am happy NR will be helping that cause.

I am sure the money is going to a good cause. Why wouldn't they charge NR say $50 a crack instead of $5? I am just wondering why there is no difference in price. A very wealthy NR friend of mine will drop a few thousand on this I'm sure. Just because of that I won't be putting in anything. I'll donate another way.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-06 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]Zigga,
You do have a very good point. Id think the non-residents would howl over that! Personally Id like to see something like Utahs sportsman tag. Only residents can apply. Im going to give it a shot anyways just to see what happens.
Irl

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-06 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]>
> A very wealthy NR
>friend of mine will drop
>a few thousand on this
>I'm sure. Just because
>of that I won't be
>putting in anything. I'll
>donate another way.

Cool, a NR funding my Block Management opportunities
is a good thing in my opinion. Let's face it, our (MT residents) odds would be much better if we charged NR's $50 or $100 per pop, but I don't think as much money would be raised for the program, which is the primary reeason for the Super Tags. I will still throw my name in the hat just like I do on other hunts with piss poor odds. Hell someone has to draw.

Are there other ways to donate to BM?

Zigga, How are you going to donate "another way"?

Charlie got the golden ticket in one Wonka bar. That flick would have sucked even worse had little Charlie been a whiner.

That's a hilarious way to put it SPAZ. We've got a "Super sheep tag" in BC that costs $15 bucks per draw and its just nice to have an opportunity to buy at least one ticket and daydream about 200" rams.

mtmiller,
"Let's face it, our (MT residents) odds would be much better if we charged NR's $50 or $100 per pop, but I don't think as much money would be raised for the program, which is the primary reeason for the Super Tags."

You don't think MT would raise more money if the tags cost more than $5 for NR? If they cost three times that much I'm sure MT would bring in WAY more money.

SPAZ sure knows a lot about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Very impressive!!!

I did break down and donate 5 chances. WTH
It'll be interesting to know how many R to NR win the tags. My money is on:
NR-5
R -0

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-06 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]Zigga,
Ill laugh my butt off when you draw the moose and sheep tags! Too bad the Madison range isnt open for sheep. You could have gone down to quake lake and blasted one pretty easy.
ismith

In the late 90's there were dead sheep laying all over the place from pneumonia. One giant ram was trying to die right in front of us and the magpies would land by his head to peck on him and he would move. I was told some loser ended up with the head. Illegally of course. If I would have had any proof of it I would have turned him in. Hopefully the population is coming back.

Zigga,
Have you gone down to the slide this winter and seen them along the road? Looks like they are making a pretty good comeback. Lots of 3 or 4 year old rams and saw one that would probally go 160's. Not huge but they all looked fat and healthy. Hopefully they will stay healthy.
Irl

Zigga, you'd also be impressed on my vast knowledge of other stupid childrens' movies. It comes with being a parent. Did you catch the point I made? You forgot to answer the question I had for you on your other methods of donating to the cause. I was only curious.

Doubt you will see sheep doing very well in the Madison Range any time real soon. Predators make short order of sheep. In 1995 I did see two thumper rams on Pyramid mtn. Things have changed a lot since then.

SPAZ,

Pneumonia is a predator? I've got a lot to learn.

You made no point. There are a lot of ways to help out wildlife and wildlands. Whether I buy a Supertag or donate to the RMEF, it helps out in the big picture.

SPAZ,
Sheep are not a primary prey animal for any predators. Disease is the #1 threat to bighorns. Last summer 3 rams were killed east of Dillon because they were getting too close to domestic sheep. They were killed to protect the wild sheep, not the domestic.
Irl

Where did I say jack about pneumonia? There's more predators in the Madison Range nowdays than ever. Don't expect them to come back quickly when there are strong populations of grizzlies and wolves, with an already strong population of lions and black bears. Have you ever been to the Madison Range?

Zigga, My point must have been too complicated for you. Let me make it easier. Whiners are annoying.

I'm going to buy a stack of the super tag tickets. I don't expect to be drawn, but it's for a good cause. Block Mgt and Hunter access are great places to put $$ toward.

ismith, what's the justification behind the Spanish Peaks special mountain lion area? You know, the one with the very high and never filled quota on lions? Remember when we used to have an unlimited sheep hunt there... just shortly before the special lion quota was set to increase cat harvest. Was the Spanish Peaks hunt shut down because of pnemonia?

SPAZ,

You obviously aren't paying any attention. Reread the posts from beginning to end and there will be a quiz later. Study up buddy.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-06 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Zigga, ever had an IQ test? If so, I bet you broke some kind of record. ismith, Had you paid attention in school (the subject of your joke) you might have learned how to spell the word conference. It's starting to make sense why the success rate for the local elk hunters is so low.

Let me guess, U of M grads...

SPAZ,
So now it might not be just the predators responsible for low success rates for local elk hunters? What do U of M grads have to do with these low success rates though? Kinda lost me on that one. Oh and your a great spell checker! You must be an english teacher at one of the "Local" schools.
ismith

SPAZ,
You are right, there is a major and devastating count on predators in the Madison Range. I've only killed bulls 13 consecutive years on public land in the Madison and they keep getting bigger. The way my pattern is going I'll be forced to kill a record class animal this year. WHY GOD WHYYYYYYYYYY?????!

Did I spell consecutive correctly? I left my dykshunnarey in Missoula>

Do you want a medal? .. or a chest to pin it on?

Let some of those raghorns grow up. I hope you draw the supertag (elk) so you'll hunt elsewhere and an unsuspecting bull calf in those mountains will reach maturity.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]Once again SPAZ you are correct. "Whiners are annoying."

I admit, a 322 1/8 bull with a bow probably isn't up to snuff. But there are so many predators out there I just had to arrow him before something else got him. Damn predators!

Oh the irony here! Can you smell it???

SPAZ,
Your absolutely right. Whiners are annoying, their are no elk, or deer, or sheep in the madison range because the lions, tigers and bears (OH MY!) have eaten them all, I sometimes mispell words, the resident success rate for the madison valley is so low because of U of M, and bull elk on the Madison range dont get any bigger than raghorns(Zigga's fault im assuming).
ismith

Who's whining? I think it was Zigga on not having the non-residents pay more than him at a try for a supertag.

Regarding sheep, I just said don't expect a recovery or a hunt anytime soon. Lions ended the hunting in the northern part of the Madison in 2001, the unlimited hunt. The cumulation of predators will prevent a hunt from happening in the southern half unless things change sometime. Those are facts, laugh it up. I hope you guys do your part and kill a lion and bear annually in those mountains, it could help.

Zigga, congrats on taking an elk with your bow, was it your first without milk on it's lips? Just think, in a few years he might have actually been a big one. If you are hoping to impress me with your feats of killing furry beasts, you've got a long way to go.

NR have to buy a conservation license to apply for sheep/goat tags - so does this mean we can just enter the supertag raffle? I think NR only need 1 conservation license a year so how can we avoid getting 2?

SPAZ,

Do I have to explain the fact that you accuse me of "whining" about how NR pay the exact same fee for the Supertag as R, yet you are crying because the Madison has predators. Why do they draw for a second cow tag then?

Oddly enough the "Biologist" I talked to said that they didn't want every 13/16 curl ram getting killed every season and wanted them to have a chance to mature. I spent 7 consecutive years on opening day in the Unlimited area you are talking about and believe me, most every ram taken was not worth killing. The bigger rams hung out on private property.

The sheep herd farther south in the Madison almost got wiped out from pneumonia. Which I recently learned is a predator(???)

Way back in 98 I killed a 6' spring black bear in Papoose Creek. You are welcome.

You said about my elk, "in a few years he might have actually been a big one." I thought there were predators running a muck in the Madison. How could he have grown up to be a "big one"?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]Zigga, Don't assume. I'm not crying about predators and have never once said the've wiped anything out.

While your standing naked in front of your full-length mirror tonight, I have another deep question for you to ponder regarding moose populations in the Madison Range. Why in 1995 were there 25 permits given between areas 307 and 310 and now only 1 in each unit?

And I hate to break it to you, the 301 Sheep hunt didn't end because they were hoping to grow some bigger rams.

I think this is worthy of another topic, you can title it "Predators are an Illusion."

SPAZ,
Just curious what you consider a "shooter" bull? You dont really consider a 320 bull a calf do you? Oh and if there was such a good population of sheep in the part of 301 that was formerly unlimited, why was it unlimited and not limited?
ismith

Depends on where I was hunting, among other things. No. Best to ask the FWP on the last one. This is way off topic.

I'm going to buy more SUPERTAGS though and notify all my non-resident friends.

SPAZ,

Why don't you get references for your "predator statements" and post them here. You sound like you are new to the area, yet an expert. I don't have the free time to study predators and then tell you about them. I just know that in the last few years a second cow tag has been issued to people lucky enough to draw them and things that biologists tell me about unlimited sheep areas. You are the one telling me about predator damage and I'm telling you the hunting is great. Not bragging, just telling you what I know from experience and not what so and so said. Lots of elk. If predators are to blame for anything then it's new to me and I've been in the area my entire life.

In response to ismith's comment about shooting 320 bulls you said, "Depends on where I was hunting, among other things."

If shooting a 322 1/8 bull is wiping out the mature population of bulls, then I have GOT to see your trophy room. PLEASE POST PICS IMMEDIATELY!!!

Reference on the lions, Kurt Ault. On the moose tag #s, the MT regs, last 11 years worth. You going to answer to my moose question? Keep on dreaming about hunting sheep in that mtn range. ..ain't gonna happen anytime soon unless some changes take place.

I'm not going to post any pictures on monstermuleys.com, but you'd probably enjoy seeing my trophy room. There's no 322 bulls in there. I try to let them reach adulthood.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-06 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]SPAZ,

I don't have the 1995 moose area regulations on me but you are more than welcome to call FWP about your moose/predator complaint and find out what they say and I will call the FWP about your moose/predator complaint and I'll let you know what they say. Their # is 994-4042. Maybe boundaries changed and the quota for the sex changed. Like I said, I don't have the last 11 years worth of regulations in my pocket. Are these areas even in the Madison or closer to the Gallatin? Let me know what exactly is wiping out your moose herds and I will let you know what I find. The new registrations should be out in the next week or so and maybe I'll refresh my memory on where these units are. I'm thinking on the Gallatin side of the Spanish Peaks. You know, where all the development is. Maybe that has something to do with it and maybe I'm thinking a totally different area. If predators are a problem for you then maybe high-fenced hunting should be your "thing". Predators are part of the big picture whether you like it or not. Not my rule, just the way things are sometimes.

As far as your trophy room goes............THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. It's a shame to keep your trophy room pics from MM. You could just go to the RMEF with your camera, then post them on here as your own.

I'm beginning to think I know you and you are simply busting my ****s. If so, then you got me.

Zigga, let's quit derailing this thread, which is about supertags.

I know the FWP number, but I don't have any questions or complaints for them. I was just checking to see if you had a clue and as suspected... you don't. A little bit of info for you, the Madisons are all those mtns between the Gallatin and Madison Rivers.

If you really are interested in my trophy room, I can offer a tour if you are nice. Is your email address madisonrange@hotmail?

What don't I have a clue about? There is a difference between Madison Range and Madison Valley. Didn't you have a question on the difference in the # of moose tags offered between 1995 and now??? Ask them, not me and post your references here on your outcome, please. I'm curious all the sudden, just from your info.

Let me summarize this thread:

You called me a whiner because I didn't like the fact that NR pay the same as R for Supertags. (Let's see, NR income is much higher on average than R income. I think my complaint might be justified but it's not a huge deal. Next year they will change it I'm sure.)

You complain about unhuntable animals in the Madison (range or valley, I lost track and am to lazy to look for it) because of predators.

Zigga, apologies for calling you a whiner. Secondly, I was just trying to make a point. There was no complaining by me.

Let me see if typing it again makes it more clear. Predators have made an impact on the wildlife in the Madison Range. The 301 sheep hunt was cancelled due to very low lamb recruitment as a result of lion predation. Since the introduction of wolves in some areas, moose numbers have taken a nose-dive. I don't think you will see a bighorn recovery in the southern Madison area anytime soon. Again, that's not complaining, it's just the way it it.

Regarding elk, there are none in those mountains. Most live in the Gravellies. Why you want to convince the world wide web otherwise is beyond me.

Somebody who draws a supertag of any type would be silly to consider hunting in the Madison Range, especially elk. It's your fault, for shooting those little ones.

Apology accepted.

"The 301 sheep hunt was cancelled due to very low lamb recruitment as a result of lion predation. Since the introduction of wolves in some areas, moose numbers have taken a nose-dive."

I just want a reference for this because it's not what I was told. Land development (versus predators) in the area you are talking has nothing to do with the moose numbers??? Do you have any idea the amount of traffic increase in the Big Sky area in the last ten years? Did you have the chance to drive that way this winter? Did you notice the number of moose, elk, deer and sheep laying dead on the road? I noticed 3 dead moose in 2 weeks and countless dead elk and I don't drive every road up there 24/7. What else did I miss? Are predators to blame for pregnant animals laying on the side of the road? Maybe the DOT has more accurate #'s but I'm afraid I'd be sick if I knew the total for the winter. This isn't to mention the amount of area taken up by multi-million dollar homes running them out of their habitat. Once again this isn't bragging, I'm just going by first-hand experience.

"Regarding elk, there are none in those mountains. Most live in the Gravellies. Why you want to convince the world wide web otherwise is beyond me."

Right!!!?? You ARE new to the area. Why the second cow tag then? Nobody in their right mind would shoot a Supertag bull anywhere near the Madison Range.

Predators are a huge part of the system and I don't have any complaints toward them. Human interaction is playing more of a roll than you give them credit for.

No elk in the Gravelies at all. Just hoards of out-of-state and 6-plate EVERYWHERE! If I drew the magical supertag I would probally have to go play in the gumbo over east of the mountains.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-06 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Zigga, We have ruined this thread.

Do you have a reading disability?

For the 2nd time, the reference is KURT AULT. Use Google. Search for "Spanish Peaks Lion Predation" Wala!

Again, the moose districts I noted are 307 and 310, both are in the Madison Range, neither are the Big Sky unit (308). Big Sky has been developed and since 95 the moose permits have went from 12 to 4. The ones I've mentioned have not been developed at all and have went from 25 to 2 (combined). The only road is 191 on the edge. To make this clear, the reason isn't roadkill. And again, I'm not complaining, but it's pretty disheartening that hunting in those historically awesome moose units is all but gone. One tag is each unit? That's sad.

Regarding the Gravelly comment, you have no concept of sarcasm. You keep telling me how I'm new to the area and don't know much. How bout you put your $ where you mouth is.. Remember when you were bragging about your dozen consecutive bull elk? How bout we put $100 down for every year on elk. Whoever got a bigger elk that year (public land unguided Gallatin National Forest) has to pay the other person $100. Wanna play? Didn't think so. Chicken? Cluck, Cluck.

Pick a year to start. You can start at 1990, or you could move it up to 2000. It all depends on how much money you want to loose.

I could buy a lot of supertags with about $1200.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-06 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]You spelled "lose" wrong.

Just post your google results here. Because I have a reading disability and couldn't find it.

You said, "Remember when you were bragging about your dozen consecutive bull elk? How bout we put $100 down for every year on elk. Whoever got a bigger elk that year (public land unguided Gallatin National Forest)"

I wasn't bragging, I was responding to your hunter success rate and predator claim. I don't always hunt GNF. Sounds like you do. I'll go ahead and make a new thread on your hotspots in the GNF. It'll read something like "ATTENTION ATTENTION-GREAT HUNTING SPOTS IN THE GNF!" How does that sound? You better hope I don't find out where you hunt cause I will blow it for you. Besides, I'm sure I can trust you on where you say you killed what you killed. (Now THAT was sarcasm) Like I said before, just go to RMEF and take pictures and claim them as your own. Besides I don't keep track of my photos and write journals on what I killed what year. Sounds like you do. I've given many an antler away. I have no proof. Sorry, you win I guess. Do you take cash? (Sarcasm yet again)

Don't send me any emails. I'm guessing you'd be "whining" to me about mentioning your hunting spots on the www. If you do send me an email I'll post it on here. Wanna play? Didn't think so. Chicken? Cluck, Cluck.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-06 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]Dude you missed your chance.. I've only taken three elk and they were all raghorns. Didn't figure you'd be into loosing a lot of cash so I figured I was safe and I was hoping I could really get you to puff all up. Think of all the supertags you could have bought.

You really can't use Google? Technically challenged along with that reading disability, must be in construction business. Good luck on the supertag drawing, and also those calf elk in the Madison mtns.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-06 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]"must be in construction business" Thats funny! In the Madison Valley, unless your using $50 bills to wipe your butt then damn straight your in the construction business. I think if I get that Moose super tag ill go up to HD 101 and get that moose my brother didnt get in 2002. He should be pretty big by now. :)
ismith

Goat hunting is a blast! Can't wait! I'll be collecting Social Security before I draw another MT Goat tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom