montana unlimited

bigwop69

a buddy of mine called me this weekend saying he drew a sheep tag in Montana. I was in disbelief!!! He only had 3 points. When i got home and pulled out the Huntin Fool mag to see what they said about his unit I busted out laughing. He applied for 300-20 which is one of the unlimited units. i called to tell him the bad news. SO is he screwed or does he have a chance at seeing a ram? the quota is 2 for that unit. We live in Georgia and he can't scout at all.

thanks,

phillip

From what I hear, it's a really tough hunt. But he's not gonna kill one in Ga. Take it for what it is, an adventure. And you never know, might kill one. How cool would that be?
I live in FL. and I've been on the Barbary hunt in NM. Didnt kill anything but I dont regret going. Memories, all about the memories when I'm an old man.
Went to AK last year for Brown Bear, didnt kill but man what memories.
I'm thinking of doing a North Ga. bear hunt this fall. Doesnt matter if I kill or not, and I'm not gonna kill one here in FL.

Not gonna get anything sitting at the house.

I say go for it!!!

Because it closes when the quota is reached, usually opening day everyone goes in early and sets up on sheep. That might require 10-15 miles of hiking in. There are a few outfitters that'll take you in but its pricey. If you two are in great shape and love to backpack light go give it a chance...you never know.

He's screwed.... unless you guys are in there a week or two BEFORE the season and camp on a legal ram, without spooking him out of the country. You have to find one before you can camp on him too.

It's a very tall order to fly in and walk up on the hill and kill one but hey, he has a sheep tag!

I hate "quota" hunts!
Zeke

ya not to mention its some of the biggest nastiest grizz infested country out there and there are not an abundance of sheep, especially near a road. i can't remember but i thought one of the hunts can run later in the year if they don't fill the quota they could move down closer to roads. but hell can't hurt to go always great to be in montana.

Since I can't afford a BC sheep hunt and can't draw Idaho or Wyoming, I've seriously considered a Montana Unlimited. It is supposed to be a tough hunt, no bones about it. I even called the Bio for most of those units. Not sure if your unit falls under his district. I didn't have time to look it up - sorry. Shawn said that it generally takes folks a day or 2 to get off the mountain if they kill on the first day. I believe they have to report it to him within 48 hours of the kill. He guaranteed me atleast 3 days of hunting if the quota was killed on day 1 as it would take them a day to get off the mountain and a day to post that it had closed and then 24 hours for the unit to officialy close.
I still think it's do-able but will be way tough on no scouting. Get the harvest tables for the last 10 years and see what drainages these sheep are being killed in. Might be a place to start.......
I also believe ALOT of these sheep hunters have already killed a Bighorn and are looking for a mature ram and are passing other legal rams. Depends on your aspirations, but again I think it's do-able.

Shawn T. Stewart
Area Wildlife Biologist
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks
Box 581
Red Lodge, MT 59068
406-446-4150
[email protected]

I haven't visited with Shawn for 2 or 3 years. Here is his info from the last time. As soon as my wife is out of her Masters program, you can bet I'll be in an Unlimited Montana unit. Might be my only chance to EVER hunt sheep and I'd rather do it in my 30's then in my 50's!
Good Luck.
- Cade

www.HuntForeverWest.com

LOL
Unless you're in your 50"s..... like me.
Then it's better to do it than wait until you're in your 70"s.

No doubt about it,
"it's better to have hunted sheep and lost than to have never hunted sheep at all"!

Zeke

A guy from MN on bowsite named Michael has hunted the unlimiteds at least once, maybe more. He can give your buddy some first hand info. Post over there and I bet he'll respond.

Good luck

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom