moose 26 or 05 ?

hunter

I think I have a pretty good shot at a moose tag in Wyoming this year ? I have been putting in for unit 26 but thought I would try unit 05 this year, odds look a little better.
Any advice on the unit that would be the best choice? I am going in with 10 points.

Any pictures from the last couple of years would be great.
I think a moose in the mid 30" range would be great!

As a non-resident, you may run into wilderness access problems with area 5. I saw several good bulls in 26 last year.

I saw 2 of the biggest bulls in my Life in unit #5 last year in the non-wilderness area. I hunted deer in Unit #26 last year, Oct 1st opening of the Moose and Deer, I never seen a bull moose in 3 days of hunting. I hope that may help.
I was looking on Wyoming's web-site the other day. If people don't think the Wolf's and Grizzly's are not taken there toll. Wyoming just 5 or 6 years ago, Killed over 1200 moose on there hunts. Last year they only killed 600 with a 87% harvest. Man that's sad.

I spend my summers in both areas and can tell you there are great bulls in both. If you know area 26 I wouldn't recomend changing.

As for the wolf/grizzly argument. Wolves were reintroduced into the area in 1995 and rapidly expanded into the area they currently occupy, grizzlies have been here much longer. So how is it that wolves and grizzlies only started to impact moose 5 or 6 years ago? Believe me, the problem is much deeper than that!

fishbio is right on the money. 26 is a good area particularly if you are happy with a bull in the mid 30" range. You can find bigger bulls than that in 26. Not what it used to be but still good. Fun country to hunt. If you go with 26 try the fontenelle lakes area off the Absorkee ridge trailhead. Less pressure than other areas and I have seen some great bulls in this area. Good luck to you with either unit.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. In in unit 26 I seem to be 1 year behind and cant catch up. It is a little disapointing that the moose are going down hill after waiting 10 years for a tag, but that is the way it goes. I hope I can find a couple of guys that have hunted unit 5 in the last couple of years and get another couple of opinions? Come on guys lets here from you !!!
It would be a big help. Time is running out.

>As for the wolf/grizzly argument.
>Wolves were reintroduced into the
>area in 1995 and rapidly
>expanded into the area they
>currently occupy, grizzlies have been
>here much longer. So
>how is it that wolves
>and grizzlies only started to
>impact moose 5 or 6
>years ago? Believe me,
>the problem is much deeper
>than that!

Who sez wolves didn't start to impact that area immediately in 95? Their primary food source were elk. Elk numbers started decreasing significantly in many areas as wolf numbers started inrceasing exponentially. I suspect at some point, moose started moving up on the wolves grocery list as elk numbers started to decrease. Grizz probably also started feeling those effects and have also started to hit more moose with fewer elk calves to chase around. When did that happen, maybe 5 - 6 years ago, who knows? Anyone care to argue that our moose numbers wouldn't be considerably higher if wolves were never introduced?

I was born and raised in Wyoming and I used to fish with my dad in area 26. In 1963 I moved to Utah and have been here since. I won't tell you guys how many Wyoming moose permits I have had through the years (all as a non resident) but more than most of you could even dream about.

After they started points I drew area 26 in 1997. I then waited 5 years and began applying again. After my 7 dollar point fee got lost in the mail and arrived in Cheyenne a few days late and they rejected it, I was about ready to give up as I felt I would never draw again, but I decided to apply one more time in 2007, with 3 points going into the draw, and low and behold I drew unit 26 once again.

I have hunted that unit with at least four other guys with permits through the years (excluding the times I have had permits there) and I watched it surely but steadily go down hill. In the mid 70's and into the early 80's it was a great area, but it is no where near what it once was.

No doubt the wolves have had a big impact on the Wyoming moose herd, but that is not the reason for the decline of big bulls in unit 26. And the big bears have had a inpact too, but again not in 26. I think they just give too many permits anymore and the most of the bulls just don't get a chance to live long enough to get big. I agree there are some nice bulls in the area, but nothing like it used to be.

I am strictly a bowhunter and I spent a good part of the archery season hunting for a nice bull in 2007 in unit 26. I saw bulls almost every day I hunted and multiple bulls most days. I was unsuccessful during the archery hunt, so I gave it a couple weeks and went back the last weeks of the rifle hunt. Again I saw bulls most days and usually more than one.

I ended up killing the bull pictured below on the very last day of the hunt. It was not the largest bull I could have taken during my hunt, but I never did see what I would say was a good bull. I know the area pretty well, and hunted hard every day I was there. I had a great time, as I love Wyoming and I love to hunt there, but getting a great bull in that area will require in all likelihood, a number of days and a lot of luck.

Getting a bull like I got, which was 37 inches, as I recall, should be doable quite easy.

Have a good one. BB

36870a.jpg

Hey Orion, Thanks for the info. How many points did you draw with? Really like to here about you're hunt? How big were some of the bulls you were seeing. Love to see a picture of the one you took!
I have been in 26 a couple time for antelope and did see a few nice bulls. Any ideas of the "GENERAL" area you hunted would help. Send a PM if you like, Thanks

Hunted 26 last year with my dad. Not the area it used to be. Carotid artery disease is really taking its toll on the population. Lots of moose with most in the low 30's some in the upper 30's and this on was 40. Saw another one that had more width but really weak paddles. There are better areas but things are tough everywhere. I saw a few nice bulls I know didn't get killed after season but you have to know the area.

Hunterofthesouth19

7472moose1.jpg

2243moose2.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the pictures.I would be very happy with either of those bulls. Cant wait untill the results come out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom