moose and scent-archery

L

lifeisgood

Are moose (AK-Yukon) a spooky as most elk when it comes to human scent? Is it all over in a split second if they get a whiff or are they any more forgiving than elk?

life IS good

If moose smell ya they will stalk and eat you!! LOL A elk is a very nervous animal. Where as moose are not as nervous. Everything an elk dose is based on the Nervous System. You can walk up on a moose with little effort not with an elk.

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

I would say overall they are more forgiving, however, I've called in several that flat disappeared once down wind without seeing them int he thick brush.

My experience in the Alaska interior,(Alaska Range). Scent alone will not spook your approaching moose. Their size is one of their defenses, but if they smell you and see you move they will avoid you. I have smelled of days without a shower and camp fire smoke and still had bulls walk within bow range. I of course was more nervous than the moose at close range, nervous of being ran over. Most moose have not encountered a human and do not know exactly what we smell like or identify that smell with danger. If they do smell you and want to avoid you they usually do not dash off and gone in a flash. They just change directions and yes like the other guy said can disappear in the brush and not be seen. Amazing that an aminal that size can just disappear. Try and control your scent but no need to go over board like for deer and Elk. The vegitation scent is overwhelming in Alaska, cool temps, rain and mostly low winds work to your advantage there. Good luck and be patient, find elevation for spotting, then call in or stalk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom