Moose meat

alp75

Very Active Member
I've never had it. Is it any good? Any similarities to other game? Let's hear your opinions.

It's fantastic. As good as elk if not better. I have had meat from a younger shiras and a 60" alaskan moose. Both were great, the younger bull was better.

Seems to have a sweeter taste then vension or even elk. Makes damn good breakfast sausage also.

RELH

I shot a moose is 2009. The meat was great. I served moose roast to several game meat haters and didn't tell them what they were eating until after they said how delicious it was. Important to cool it quickly and age it for a week or two. IMO

Mine is pretty good. Kids love it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I killed a Shiras in the rut. Not sure if it was because it was in the rut or not, but, I was not impressed.

Have killed and butchered many bull elk in the rut and enjoyed them.

I should also add that mine was down, cleaned, quartered, and in a meat locker in less than four hours. I would suspect that would also change the overall outcome in quality.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I had some moose knuckle once. It tasted like crap.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-11 AT 00:21AM (MST)[p]>I had some moose knuckle once.
>It tasted like crap.
>

turn it over hardway....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I shot a Shiras in WY in October, and I was also a bit disappointed. It was good, but no way better than any elk I ever shot. The better cuts (backstraps etc) were comparable to elk, but the marginal stuff was not as good as elk, maybe a bit more like deer.

I"ve eaten quite a bit of moose meat over the years and have not been impressed with most of it. That being said, most of the bulls I've had meat from were shot in the rut in Alaska. Those bulls were consistently strong and tough.

I've shot an Alaskan bull and a Shiras bull in Wyoming, both of which were taken before the rut began and both were excellent. The Shiras in particular was outstanding, as he was taken from a swamp in the middle of a cattle ranch, and had likely been eating pasture grass all summer. We got him cut up and cooled within a few hours of killing him with my bow on opening day of archery season. It didn't hurt that we were able to drive up to him and load him whole onto the truck!

To get a good eating moose, my personal opinion is that shooting him before the rut gets going is very important.

Got a moose in Wyoming last year, 2nd week of October. Quartered and cooling in camp within 3 hours. Not impressed and was disappointed. The backstraps (grilled medium rare to rare) were not as good as mule deer or whitetail backstraps cooked and handled the same way. Was a little more chewy.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

killed an Idaho bull in early november once. I liked the taste, but it was so hard to chew on you had to beat it to a pulp prior to cooking, every cut. It also seemed to give several people gut aches or gas... ended up canning, grinding and giving a lot of it away.

Killed a monster AK bull in September, It was as close to inedible as any game animal I have ever been a part of killing. The back straps were even horible. We gave the whole thing to the first native we found on the river bank "hunting". He seemed happy.

The best in my opinion. My uncle is a meat cutter by trade and told me that moose is the only wild animal he has ever processed that cut like beef, texture, etc. Highly recommend any change you get. I have been lucky and shot a few and not one of them has been bad.

Lot's of varied opinions! I guess I'll just have to shoot one to find out. I guess, if I don't like it there's always sausage and jerky to be made.

The Moose I took was kinda Chewy!

Several other Bulls I've tasted was about the same,good Flavor but Chewy!

Best Damn Meat I've ever ate of any Big Game was a Cow Moose a Guy shot in Wyoming,said it fell in the Water when he shot it & cooled it immediately,a young cow maybe 2-3 years old!

I'm tellin you this stuff would Melt in your mouth!

I ain't in to killin Cows but damn man,sure wished I had some more of that!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I've only had elk a few times. And it's been quite a few years since I've had any deer. So I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I got a moose last fall and my family and I love it. Even my two little girls like it. We have it at least once a week and still haven't even made a dent in it. You're welcome to try some if you want. Send me a PM.

A buddy killed a 67" bull in Ak. a few years back & brought it to me to butcher.
He gave me quite a bit of meat and I rate it very highly as far as wild game.
As with all wild game, how it is handled and processed is crucial to how it will be on the plate.
(read boneless and no fat)

Same guy brought me some stone sheep meat, it was probably the best wild game I've eaten (and the most expensive per pound I might add), nothing like domestic sheep.

HH, how about some tips on handling and processing? I will be heading to Canada for a moose hunt the first week of November and would like to have some good quality meat out of the experience.

Thanks!

Fortunately, I have not had to eat moose in almost 25 years. My dad shot a big bull and the
only worse meat I can think of, that I have eaten, is a duck or sage hen.

We even tried cooking it in a Dutch oven. That Dutch oven stunk so bad after cooking that moose, we threw it in the garbage!

OK, woodruff, you just diqualified yourself with the duck and sage grouse comments. I know most people don't like to eat sage grouse, but if you shoot younger birds, take good care of them RIGHT AWAY and prepare them well, they are actually good eating. Gutting them, washing them with cold water and getting them chilled right away is important, I've found. They're quite good on the BBQ.

Ducks are also very good if you shoot birds that have been eating well, take good care of them and know how to prepare them. Birds that eat bad tasting stuff simply won't be good, but a nice rice fed bird is always good if properly handled.

Ca:

The ducks must eat a lot better food in California! I have been told my whole life I was cooking them wrong! I finally decided, after cooking them 1000 different ways, I just didn't like them.

I love to eat ruff and blue grouse. However, I decided to shoot a few Sage Hens a couple years back. I cleaned them fairly quick (I guess not quick enough). Nothing like eating sage brush chicken!!!

I can't comment on the Moose but as for the last several post are concerned. I hope I never get hungery enough to eat a duck. Alot of the guys I work with are duck hunters and cook them many different ways. Nasty to me. If you guys ever get to hunt Axis deer then don't pass on a shot at either a buck or doe. Excellent eating!! Later Baker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom