More UT Management Buck Hunts

B

BigMedicine

Well after 3 years on the Pauns and Henry Mtns. it looks like the management buck hunts are providing good opportunity for folks to shoot mature bucks with less desirable antler configurations. I haven't heard of lots of people shooting illegal bucks, and it sounds like the hunts have been going well.

I see lots of management type bucks on the other LE units in the state and wonder if it might be good to have more management hunts? A big 2 point or 3 point gets killed on most general season units, but on a LE unit they can live for a long time, getting more opportunties to breed than bucks with more desirable antler configuations that typically get killed at an earlier age. I don't know if it is having a definite effect, but it can't be helping the genetics on our LE units to let these bucks live so long. Also, the way the hunts are set up it lets the trophy guys get first shot, so even if there was a guy with a LE tag that wanted to shoot a big 3 point he would get first crack at it over the management tag holders. Lots of the tags go to youth and seniors, and it still burns through some deer points.

Should we have management hunts on more LE deer units? Seems like a good idea to me.

+ 1

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I'd like to see more opportunity as well, but keep in mind buck to ratios have to be pretty dang high. It sounds like the pauns is going to see a huge cut in mgt tags in 2012. I think it'd be a great opportunity to offer some short range/primitive weapon mgt tags with lower success rates, but give some guys the opportunity to hunt and move through the system.

so how do these managemant hunts work??

if you have a tag is someone from the g&f out there with you tell'n you witch one to shoot?

just curios,thanks

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

Not quite, but close. You have to have your deer inspected by a CO. The DWR takes pictures, measurements, teeth for aging, and info on exactly where the animal was harvested.

It'd be interesting if they required the same on all hunts. I imagine at some point in the future we'll have too.

I proposed having management hunts in the book cliffs a few years ago at the n/e rac meeting. They informed me that this was not a trophy unit and would not be managed as one. I see a real need to try to harvest some of these bad genetics on some if these units, and yes I do realize does carry genetics as well, but we cannot tell on them. If you manage the bad genetics on the bucks, pretty soon the bad genetics can be bred or harvested out for the most part .

Books management hunt might be on the way. Its going to be a lot of work to get it though. Gotta change the statewide management plan to allow for a management hunt on a non premium unit. Speak up guys write some emails and show up to the RAC and we will get one. Not gonna be easy but it will happen!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If they are going to have a Book Cliff Management Hunt they best Yank the Tags from existing alotted permits or you won't have a Fricken thing left out there!

Not sayin they don't need to shoot a few JUNK Bucks,just sayin:Don't add more Permits on the Unit!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

That is what is proposed, take the management tags from the existing tags not add them on. Dont know exact #s yet.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

From what I've heard the doe gives more to antler than the buck. I don't know if taking out lesser bucks is going to make that much difference.

quest

The Book Cliffs offer about 500 tags a year. And everyone that hunted there last year should have filled out a harvest survey and we can find out the exact number of "management bucks" that were killed out there already.

I would be curious to know if say 50% of the deer killed are already in that catagory. And if that is the case then it is acting as a management hunt already and we are not seeing a difference in the quality out there.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-11 AT 12:42PM (MST)[p]
Management tags on a non trophy unit are a slippery slope im not sure I want to see.

Here are my reasons. I feel archery tags are already a management tag because more than likley you never shoot the one you are after and more often then not end up shooting a lesser deer or management buck.

Management tags are best suited to a weapon that can take the management deer out. Rifles!

So if there are going to be management tags you will have to cut le tags because like bobcat says they will kill everything that is left in the books.

Im in favor of a management tag if the tags come out of the rifle pool. Im also in favor of letting the management hunters hunt the rut. Im against them if the tags come out of archery or muzzy tags.

33% 33% 33%tag rule of tag allocations is my reasoning! I honestly feel rifles are the weapon that can effect the quality on a unit in a positive way or a negative way.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom