Mounting my rack

J

Jake_Sorensen

I just shot my first bull and I want to get a head mount done am I going to need the elks cape for this I hope not cause we cut the antlers of by the cutting the cap of the scull. if some one has an email address I can email a picture of what we did and you can post it cause I can't figure out how to do it. I hope I didn't muff anything up. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Congrat's on your first bull.If you cut through the hide to cut the antlers of then I'm sure you ruined the cape.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-03 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p]Thanks, so does that mean I can't get a head mount done ever cause I just got married a couple months ago and I am far from being able to afford the taxidermy work right now, but in few years I would like to get him mounted. So is this possible or did I ruin that idea?

You can always get it mounted you will just need to buy a cape.You can probably find one on www.taxidermy.net but it's a good idea to just let your taxidermist find one for you cause he will know what to look for.

faebfccc.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-03 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]If you cut through the hide to remove the antlers, the actual cape from YOUR elk is no longer usable for a shoulder mount. You should have removed the cape BEFORE cutting the antlers from the skull.

BUT...if you can have someone or your taxidermist get another cape from someone else, you can certainly still have it mounted somewhere down the road. Lots of hunters kill small bulls that aren't going to be mounted. So if you get the word out, you should be able to find one. Just start searching for the cape several months before you're ready to have the work done. And plan on the cape costing you some extra $$$ -- maybe $50 to $100 -- unless someone decides to donate theirs. -TONY

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-03 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/p92dcf5cb5b36feb755a734a728e9f788/facf1fa3.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-03 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-03 AT 11:35?AM (MST)

oops sorry if it takes up a lot of space, its not a very good pic he is a 6x6 bull his g2 on the left side was broke it is 6.5 inches long

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom