Moving to Northern Utah..HELP!

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
Hey guys...need some help!!

Currently I live down in Richfield. I have lived here most of my life and know all the great outdoor things to do in Central Utah. We love lots of things about living down here, but there comes a time that you have to make some decisions. I travel a lot and I am making a trip to the SLC airport almost EVERY week. We have thought a lot about it, and we want to move closer to the airport. There are MANY reasons and I wont go into all of there here. We have our house for sale here and it looks like it may sell soon (I hope) and we will be looking at moving north.

The area we have been looking at the most is Kaysville, Layton, Syracuse area. We like out west of the freeway there and have found some houses we really like.I will be going to look at some on Thursday this week.

What I am wondering is, what kind of good outdoor opportunities are there living there?? We are a family that loves to Hunt, Fish, Camp, Ride ATV's and things like that. I already know that we will not have the access that we currently have living in Richfield, but I want to know what those that live in that area do? We have a Rzr 4 that we love to go ride and wondering where to ride. I know the Waterfowl hunting is pretty good in that area. What about anything else.

HELP!.......let me know what you guys think about this area and what I am getting myself into.

Thanks!!!

Some of the areas you mentioned can be pretty rough as far as thugs and gangs, if you have any kids, I'd be sure to check out the school system and see if you would approve of it first, some areas of those towns are better than others, and some much worse than others.

I personally don't live that far north, but I am just chiming in on what I have heard. Maybe some locals can give some better insight.

Don't do it!! I moved away from the "small town atmosphere" ten years ago and not a day goes by that I don't kick myself in the ass and have been trying to get back ever sense. I understand you have to do what you have to do but I would consider everything(schools, crime, pollution,etc) before you do it.

>Some of the areas you mentioned
>can be pretty rough as
>far as thugs and gangs,
>if you have any kids,
>I'd be sure to check
>out the school system and
>see if you would approve
>of it first, some areas
>of those towns are better
>than others, and some much
>worse than others.
>
>I personally don't live that far
>north, but I am just
>chiming in on what I
>have heard. Maybe some locals
>can give some better insight.
>
I'm sure this can be said of any area along the wasatch front. Personally I don't have much use for anything south of about Farmington and that for only special occasions.
IMHO Davis county has one of the better school systems in the state.
FLEH I gave you a more detailed answer over on the UWN forum.

Did syracuse, kaysville and Layton just get called thug towns?

Stay out of Ogden and you'll be ok. Look for good neighborhoods toward the mountain or in Syracuse just go past 2000 W and you'll be far away from "thugs". Good luck. Plenty of outdoorin

I didn't call them thug towns, I was just simply stating that there are some rough areas up there. I wasn't knocking the towns by any means. I am sure just like about anywhere, there are good spots and bad spots in just about every bigger town.

Thanks for the replys....Looking at Davis County specifically because of the schools!!! We have heard nothing but good about the school system up there. In fact one of the reasons why we consider leaving small town is because of the schools! They suck! I should know...I went there..and I want my kids to have better.

Still have to sell our house first...but we have someone looking pretty hard right now.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]i live in Farr West, about as north in Weber county as you can be and not be in Box elder, depending on how far west you go in syracuse your drive time to the airport would be the same...plus you still could have a little of the country atmosphere. close to the freeway withoit the noise, fishing within minutes, set up your spotter and see mtn goats from your back yard. 20 minute drive and you can be on the back side of the front with lots of trails for your UTV

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I live in Syracuse and i don't know why any of the 3 would be called Thug towns lived here my whole life. your about an hour away from riding depending where you go.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]I grew up in Syracuse. Spent most of my life up here. Davis county is nice. There is tons to do. Minutes from Willard Bay. The wasatch front has tons of trails for the ride. Pineview reservoir is close by. Good river fishing and reservoirs. Antelope island, Bear Lake is one of my faves, etc. I've loved it and wouldn't be anywhere else. Ogden can be bad downtown. Sunset is pretty trashy and Roy can have it's issues. But what I love is the schools, urban country, decent access time to outdoor activities. Salt lake is only twenty five min away. It's nice. But it seems to get more crowded every year here in Clinton. So there must be something good about it. I live in Clinton. Out west, just north of syracuse.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck on the big decision

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife, and the conservation of all our natural resources, are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be exploited by the few against the interests of the majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources for the public as a whole, for the average man and the average woman who make up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of means."

I live in Ogden and have been here my entire life. Every town in my opinion has a Ghetto. Ogden is a great place to live if you are in the right area. South Ogden is awesome and North Ogden is great too. Downtown central Ogden is the trashy part.

I wouldn't say any city is complete trash, they all have good and bad areas. Davis county is a great place in my opinion and I think you would be very happy there.

One thing to remember about the Wasatch front cities is that the closer you are to the mountain the better. You will see the quality of people and areas go downhill as you get further away from the mountain. This is true in Ogden, Layton, Bountiful, and several other areas.

If you want a more secluded place to live, maybe consider grantsville or somewhere out in the Western part of the Valley. If you want to go further North, Honeyville and those areas North of Brigham city and real secluded and nice to live in.

Just my opinion.

I dont live up north,but when i go visit my sister in Bountiful. She lives up by the temple. Seems really nice up there ? Also have a friend in Alpine. A little further from the airport but close to Cabelas ! Both have four wheeler trails not far from their houses. Theres my 2 cents !

Ha ha quality of people go down the further away from the mountains. WTF is that suppose to mean? Im kidding but really I grew up the on the farthest west road you can take in west point right on the northern border of hooper. Loved it. Great people. Although it has gotten a hell of a lot more populated since when I was growing up its still a great place. I live in West Haven now a little bit to the north and it's great. You have anything you could imagine doing with 45 min to an hour.

In reply to a few posts. If you can find Ghetto anywhere in Syracuse or Kaysville I would really like to see the pictures of that ghetto?

The areas you are looking at moving into are great! I have lived in Kaysville for 31 years, and I am now 31.

The schools all have really good kids, and a few bozos just like anywhere you go.

As far as recreation, you can go take your Rzr up Bountiful canyon anytime, and there are other areas you can go run around within 30 minutes to 1 hour away. Waterfowl hunting is great, you just have to know where good access points are. And there are a ton of places to go fishing, anything from the local ponds that get stocked, and are fun for kids, to driving a couple hours to Strawberry.

I think you will be happy you made the move. I have some cousins who moved up to Davis county from the Price area, and they are all glad they made the move. There is acess to plenty of outdoors things, and a lot better access to shopping and other stuff that your wife and kids will really like too.

Good luck on the move. PM me if you need help with the waterfowl hunting.

>Ha ha quality of people go
>down the further away from
>the mountains. WTF is
>that suppose to mean?

What I meant is the cities that lie on the "Wasatch front". Hooper, West point and all those are not on the mountain, they are out in the farm lands.

If you are familiar with Ogden, Layton, and bountiful you can see that the downtown (old city) parts of town are the most run down and full of "gangstas". As you move up, the houses and areas get better. I didn't mean that everything West of the city is Crap. I meant the actual cities themselves get better with each new year of development. In Ogden city a general border line is Harrison Blvd. As you go further below the blvd the areas get a little ghetto, while if you go East the areas get better.

That's what I was trying to say.

Hooper is not crap, it just smells like it :)

Thanks for all the info guys! It is one of those things that is a HARD decision! We LOVE Richfield....but the move will be better for the family over all.

We should know sometime today if the ones looking at my house are going to buy it. I also will be looking at a house in Syracuse when I land in SLC on Thursday. It is right out on Glen Eagle golf course and looks like a pretty nice neighborhood! Plus..I LOVE to golf so it cant be all bad haha

I guess we will see what happens...but I appreciate all the info. And I will FOR SURE take you up on that offer for the Waterfowl hunting if we move up!

Unbiased opinion I'd take farmington kaysville east layton over anything west of the freeway. I hate misquitos. LOL

Good ole glen eagle. That damn course has stole more balls than I can remember from me. Small fairways and you had better stay in them. lots of rough and ponds out there. Good fun golf course. You will enjoy it out there. One bad thing though if that wind comes off the lake you have the Sh%t plant just down the road from you it tends to stink a little bit.

you like golf???? remuda golf course in Farr west is about 3 minutes to the freeway, its right on the county line of Box Elder county, quick access to fishing riding and los of outdoor stuff

My dad lives on the southgate golf course. Hates it ! The lawn mowers wake him up every morning at 5;30 am. Its a pain always having people in your back yard.

I just moved to Syracuse from Wisconsin. It is way different out here! I love it though.

As far as ghettos go, you must all be pretty sheltered. I lived in Milwaukee for a few years. This is nothing.

Make the move. There is no use wasting your life sitting in a car.

Dan

Cody...I will be in touch when and if we start to make it happen!

The guy that I thought was going to buy my house this week backed out....so now I am back to the waiting game again..

If anyone knows of someone looking for a great house in Richfield....send them my way.

My Family and I had a similar Decision to make 11 years ago. Now we drive 40 miles to the grocery store. I commute from 45 to 75 miles a day for work. ( depends where they send me) as of now and for the next 3 months I will drive from sanpete co. to the VA in SLC every day. I will do this over and over so I don't have to move into a city. It takes alot to do this but to our family its worth it. Good luck to you and yours what ever you do I hope you feel as good about it as we have

When ya get settled in, toss me a PM and we can go hiking.

I go all over just along the Front and up to Snowbasin quite a bit.

Robb

I hated living out there..... Couldn't pay me enough to do it again....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom