Mt. Taylor elk hunt & Unit 15

505Hunter

Well guys, headed back from our muzzleloader bull hunt up at mt Taylor. My dad and I told each other we were gonna get our tag filled first morning. Well that Saturday came and we were sitting at a tank with a field behind us. Take was frozen so we decided to glass the field. As we walked up I spotted 3 elk, my dad looks through his scope and says "ONES A BULL!!", first time we've ever seen the animal we can shoot. Our hearts are pumping and he's shaking waiting for a shot, the the bulls 2 cows caught out noise and started trotting off but he stood there grazing, my dad didn't want him to spook so he lined up on the bull and shot... The elk take off and I only see 2. He says did I get him? We walk up and see no elk laying down.. We look for blood - nothing. He missed and we were torn the rest of the hunt. However he did manage to find our bull again and we chased him down the canyon only to hear another hunter shoot him. Talk about bad luck. But we did manage to spot some big bulls 5 miles out of the distance and came up on a young buck, as well as turkey. It was good hunt aside from out shot. Gonna try our luck down this weekend on our deer hunt in unit 15.
Never hunted this unit before, so can anyone offer some friendly advice? Gonna be around the sawtooth mountain range.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom